News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re:Bethpage Green
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »
This supposition was in general terms....probably playing the 4 over the span of 2 days...probably skipping the yellow i'd guess..leaving that one for another time.  Two weekdays would be ideal of course, but for those of us who are trying to cram tournaments, vacations, long weekends, and a few drive and plays into only 16 off days/yr...these opportunities are currently limited....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »
Kyle,

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

By the way, I see you are still enjoying whatever loco weed you grow in Pennsylvania. The Blue is a wonderful course, far better than the Green & Yellow.

The second hole is a world-class par four. Six is almost as good followed by a fabulous par-three 7th, and a terrific risk/reward par-5 eighth. 12 is a wonderful short par-5 that one just has to always have a go at the green over the valley. 14-17 are all good holes.

You need to play it again, this time with your eyes open!  ;D

Phil,

The problem with the Blue is that the holes you mentioned are really the ONLY holes of note on the course - everything else is the worst at Bethpage. You get a good hole, followed by a few clunkers. 2 is the best tee shot on the course, and one of the best at Bethpage, but 3 is a bland par 3, and the 4th is one of those "looks cool, plays bad" sort of holes. I also agree with 12 being a good par 5, but the Tillie holes (14-16, right?) are over the flattest part of the property. 11, 17, and 7 are all basically the same high point to high point par 3, the difference being 17 is with a short iron and 11 and 7 mid irons. At least the Yellow gives you variety in the par 3s.

The Blue may be longer than Green or Yellow, but I don't think it has near the character.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »
Kyle, you got me on that-I wasn't expecting a shot from an adjacent fairway.

The Green used to be my alternate course to the Black when I wasn't playing often.  Lots of fun, the 9th is an outstanding par 5, and a couple of holes (10 and 12) that you could almost reach with a driver even in the 70's.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:32:47 PM by Mike Golden »

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 07:53:40 PM »
Kyle-

Did you play the Green cause you got shutout on the Black or Red?
I haven't played the green in a few years, looks like its in good condition. Great course to play, just can be an extremely long round.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 09:25:57 PM »
Why does Long Island get such great NY State Park courses (including Montauk Downs).  Up in Erie County, NY (Buffalo), we only had Beaver Island, a flat, boring, but good for the ego course.

(Not exactly Bethpage, is it?)  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 10:13:23 PM »
Shivas

The Black is available for outings. All we would need is $100,000.00 and we could have Black for 1 day.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 07:08:17 AM »
Shivas, arrangements can be made. IM me about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back