News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

The weeks that were
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »
In the past two weeks golf enthusiasts were witness to both ends of the spectrum.

From the verdant parkland of suburban Milwaukee, to the sometimes wind swept outskirts of Liverpool, where some opined Hoylake played like a pool table.

In each case the winner was also at one end of the spectrum.

The thing they had in common??... Shotmaking that didnt involve a reliance on hitting the ball as far as humanly possible.

Did this last fortnight show us all that hitting long and straight, is only one aspect to our multi-faceted sport?

Confirming an architects thoughtful design, combined with the proper maintenance, can and does, combat the urge to constantly shoot for the moon?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Sweeney

Re:The weeks that were
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »
I wonder if anyone else notice Feherity's comments about Pavin's shotmaking, working the ball, etc., but also commenting that this (modern) ball "just doesn't curve - it just goes straight." What's up with that????
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:25:49 AM »
Adam, this has not been lost on me either. i am so pleased the last few weeks the shot makers and not brute strength have prevailed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:20 AM »
So how does Corey work the ball if he's using the new ball trying to squeeze another five yards out of his tee balls?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:44:35 AM »
I wonder if anyone else notice Feherity's comments about Pavin's shotmaking, working the ball, etc., but also commenting that this (modern) ball "just doesn't curve - it just goes straight." What's up with that????
In changing the spin characteristics of the balls, they have made it harder to work the ball. Since the spin depends on the angle of the clubface, low angled closed or open clubfaces don't have much effect on working the ball. Therefore, the clubface must be opened or closed more than in the past to create the same draw or fade. (Tiger plays a higher spin ball, I wonder why? ;) ?) Unfortunately when the the clubface is severely angled you get the severe hooks and slices just like you used to, because the severe angle restores the spin to the ball.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:42:29 PM »
I think it's interesting to note that one of the reasons that Cory is dead last in the driving distance stats is because he still insists on curving every tee shot. He often hits the ball with lower than optimal trajectory which also limits his overall driving distance. If he ever decided to hit the high straight one, he might well rocket up the distance charts.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:58:13 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »
If Pavin ever tried to change his game at the age of 47 he'd make Ian Baker-Finch and David Duval look like comeback kids by comparison. Why in the world change anything? His flat takeaway doesn't lend itself readily to a high flight path anyway, and he obviously knows it. Seems to have learned well enough from another slightly built pro, Eddie Merrins.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
If Pavin ever tried to change his game at the age of 47 he'd make Ian Baker-Finch and David Duval look like comeback kids by comparison. Why in the world change anything? His flat takeaway doesn't lend itself readily to a high flight path anyway, and he obviously knows it. Seems to have learned well enough from another slightly built pro, Eddie Merrins.

He tried it at 35!

In late 1995, early 1996 Corey (who was a member at my club) spent some time working with our Director of Golf. He suddenly decided he wanted to learn to hit the ball higher. I pinpoint that moment as when things started to deteriorate for him (although he won Colonial a few months later). I think he was mistakenly convinced that he needed to change his game to compete, despite the fact that he was the US Open champion. It was great to see him back on top yesterday.

As an aside, three weeks before the '95 Open, my boss helped Corey COMPLETELY change his putting stroke. He went to a Pelz-like square-to-square stroke for the first time in his life, and went away from his Bullseye putter to a heel shafted blade (like an 8802). His first week in action with the new stroke he lost in a playoff at Kemper, and won the Open the next week. Corey is not afraid to experiment.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:28:54 PM by Doug Sobieski »

Alan Carter

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »
I think we all need to keep in perspective Mr. Pavin's win and not assume that he is back and we can expect him to contend each week against today's fields.  Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that he won this past weekend, but I think that his successes will continue to be few and far apart.

I believe that all of the stars aligned this past week for Mr. Pavin.  From the 26 on the front nine on Thursday, to the soft conditions, holing an iron shot, to making nearly every putt he looked at.  (I think he averaged 26.5 putts over the week)  To think that he can repeat this on a regular basis is crazy.  His confidence will be greatly boosted, so I think there will be a few more good finishes.  But, you cannot hit the ball 40 yards or more behind your opponents on every hole and contend week in and week out.  Not saying you can't do it , as he proved this week, but it will not happen everytime.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 05:49:58 PM »
Alan the Open was won that way as well.

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »
Alan, the great thing about golf is that it doesn't have to happen "everytime" for it to be significant. Once in ten years for Mr. Pavin is quite meaningful enough for him and for us golf fans, and a few times a year here and there on the part of others is a joy to watch -- as was Funk last year at the TPC.

I know what you mean, that such encouraging signs are rare. but they are very welcome nonetheless, precisely bcause the trend in dominant play is quite the other way
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:22:00 PM by Brad Klein »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:54 AM »
Alan the Open was won that way as well.

Partly.  Woods laid back off the tee.  But he also probably has two clubs less than Corey from any point in the fairway.  And he didn't have to shoot 26, or average 26.5 putts per round, to win.  

(He did hole an iron shot though, on a hole he probably would have gladly taken par.  Two shot swing, and that's how much he won by -- two shots.  Maybe that is the key to winning nowadays.)

Overall, which tournaments do you think that would work well on, Tiger?  Not the Masters, I think, or the U.S. Open.  The Players?  PGA?  Doral?  Not too many 6750 yard courses on tour anymore.  

And who else besides TW can really pull that off?  This seems like more of an anomaly than a regular winning strategy, even for the Open Championship, and maybe for the Bank Championship too.  

I agree more with Alan on this one.    

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 07:52:23 AM »

But, you cannot hit the ball 40 yards or more behind your opponents on every hole and contend week in and week out.  Not saying you can't do it , as he proved this week, but it will not happen everytime.

I bet TePaul will disagree ;)

No one does it everytime. The tour boys seem to have cycles to thier contending.
 To be in the same field with floggers like Bubba Watson, on a soft 6750 yard course, illustrates that hitting it long is but one small factor in winning and in golf.

Long and down the middle CAN BE highly over-rated!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back