News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Blind drive - remove or not?
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
Whilst researching a planned golf trip to Northern France last year I was looking at the Hardelot website. It said that they had made some 'improvements' since I had last been there. The main one was the removal of a dune on the sixth hole. As you can see from the pictures (prior to any work), this was a very attractive blind drive on an essentially straight hole (par 5).

From recollection, this was the only blind drive on the course. I would be interested to hear people's opinions on whether they would have kept the dune or flattened it. I understand it is a difficult shot on what is essentially a holiday course but it seems a shame to me.

Brian Phillips

Re:Blind drive - remove or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »
Ed,

I would have removed the trees to the right just in front of the tees not the actual dune.  The landing area seems to be wide enough from what I can see from the photos you have provided.

brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:49:25 AM »
Blind drive because of a dune formation?

Really? How can they tell there's so damn many trees blinding the dune formation that's apparently blinding the drive?

In my opinion, they should first remove the trees so they can at least SEE the dune that's apparently blinding the drive. And after they've done that hopefully they will understand that the dune formation blinding the drive is a very cool NATURAL feature TO KEEP!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »
Looking at the trees I would have thought that the drive had enough definition to leave it as it was. However as a holiday course I understand the desire to remove such things as blind shots as they are often not liked by players playing a course for the first time. Ironically such a feature can be the making of a hole if played often enough as it lengthens the tension until you see if the ball is good or not. The question as to if it should be removed it is purely academical as they already have and I doubt it will be put back.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 09:02:07 AM »
Hardelot is being wrecked.  Many of the bunkers have been ruined for sand pro use, the trees are out of control and now this.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 09:21:13 AM »
I think they should have removed the dune and, in keeping with progressive management practice, planted more trees clear across to form a hedgerow but trimmed them up so you can see the landing area and the ball land on the other side.

Who needs a natural dune when you can add the artifice of a steeplechase? Resort guests could then look forward to playing the "signature" Steeplechase Hole and Hardelot could live up to its name.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:22:20 AM by Brad Klein »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:01:39 PM »
Brad, from your description this tee shot would then be a lot like the first at Cypress Point!  8)  Over the hedge, onto the fairway!

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »
If what's on the other side of the Hardelot place is as good as what's beyond the hedge at Cypress Point, then the steeplechase would be well rewarded.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
That would be amazing, as there aren't many like CPC on this planet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back