News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Olde Stone (Bowling Green, KY) - Arthur Hills
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »
In May, I played Olde Stone as a guest.  The day was pretty windy with another golf event in town, so I played by myself.

Overall, a very, very tough course.  I graduated from Western Kentucky University, so I've played a few courses in the state.  Olde Stone certainly is in the top ten percent (IMO).  

I've also been fortunate enough to play Valhalla several times over the years (usually during Derby Week).  Olde Stone reminded me a lot of the topography & design value of Valhalla.  That was an unexpected comparison going into the round.  With that comparison comes both negative and positive traits.

The first hole is the number one handicap, with every reason to be so.  It is not an easy beginning.  Anywhere else in the layout and it's a great design.  I just thought it was too much way too early.  The fairway takes a roller coaster dip to the left (maybe 250 yards out), then quickly rises back up and abruptly ends (maybe 300 out).  I was very fortunate to hit a low drive that ran along the countour of the fairway.  Otherwise, a straight to faded drive is in danger of going out of bounds over an old farm fence.  Again, the aesthetics are wonderful (especially the trees along the fence line, and fairway contours), but too tough for Hole 1.  I struck a 7 iron into the back third of the rather large green.  I had 30 feet downhill to the hole with another 30-40 feet beyond to the front edge.  Yep, my first putt traveled the entire distance off the green.  Did I mention that there is not a single bunker on the first hole?  I was very happy after that to walk away with a double bogey six.  I am not even mini-tour quality, but as single-digit handicap,... well, my ego was humbled.

The next six holes sit 150 feet below in a flood plain adjacent to Drakes Creek.  This is where the course most reminded me of Valhalla.  Most notable were the long par 3 third.  Just a tough green with a long iron.  Also the short (driveable) par 4 sixth.  The temptation strategy was well executed I thought.  The par 5 seventh features a double fairway, but when I finished the hole, it seemed to play better backward (from green to tee).  It fit the landscape better.

The par 3 8th was fun because I accidentally stuck the tee shot next to the hole.  Most of the greens feature whoopdeedoo style undulations and it was fun watching my tee shot follow the shifts towards the hole.  The green's front right portion is hidden by an artificial hill halfway between the tee box and green front.  A neat idea, but maybe an odd execution.  I would have to play it again a couple of times to be sure.

At this stage of the round, it was obvious that the strength of the course lies with its greens and tee shot values.  A lot of time was spent with creating greens with hollows and burms, some with false fronts and hidden sight lines.  I actually enjoyed the greens.

The back nine begins with it's worst hole.  To be honest, it's very tough, but I was disappointed more so because it felt contrived or manufactured.  The hole is very short or squeezed into a tight corner.  The tee shot is elevated above the fairway.  The problem lies with the hillside where the green is situated.  It is an abrupt rise from the fairway with a green barely visible except for front bunker and false front.  That's right --- a false front on a severely elevated green.  That seems to be overly penal on an already difficult shot for most golfers (distance judgement, etc).  This false front was shaved green height and was the most extreme front I've ever seen.  There was nothing subtle about it.  Sorry that I don't have a picture to share.

Notable on the back nine:  a great green design on the reachable par 5 11th.  I watched a threesome in front me struggle from the left rough and fairway to pitch balls short enough to allow for the pitch and tumble of the left portion of the green.  It looked fun.  Except for my second shot with a 4 iron.  I learned from their experience that hitting into the large burm on the left half of the green was the only way to access the right portion of the green.  I applied my best stroke of the day, hit my target (into the side of the burm), only to watch it bounce up and sit on top of the burm in the rough just over the green.  Four short strokes later, a six.  Ouch.

A couple of more interesting greens that allowed the option of hitting away from tucked portions of greens.  I really enjoy that option and applaud their application at Olde Stone.  It is way more interesting to consider (and, more so, rewarding to execute).  

The par 3 16th has another roller-coaster green, hard against Drakes Creek.  The par 5 18th is solid, but something (I don't know what) is missing.  The 12th & 13th holes seemed to repeat exactly the same approach strategy and green design.  It felt a little like deja vu.  A minor faux pas for me.

Also, there is no way to walk the course.  The change in elevation, especially entering & exiting the flood plain is impossible for anybody outside of Lance Armstrong to enjoy while walking.  This is disappointing, but somewhat expected given the topography.  Just would've been nice to have later afternoon rounds on any course.

Many of the members are older, long time golfers.  This is understandable given the income or wealth necessary to afford Olde Stone.  They established themselves as "good golfers" at the older clubs in Bowling Green. My local friends still play with many of theses Olde Stone members.  The stories are rampant that members are struggling to maintain anything close to their old handicaps as they migrate to Olde Stone.  I think that should be expected of a new course with a stated purpose of hosting professional quality golf tournaments.  If it were me, I would enjoy playing Olde Stone as my regular club.  However, I think many of these members are proud to be associated with the new "toughest course in the state."  That may be part of the allure.

Before I forget, the condition of the course was fantastic.  Considering the youth of the course, I was very impressed with the thick and lush condition.  They've spared no expense in building the course

Anyway, just thought I should contribute my experience.  Golf Club Atlas is a great site and I look forward to others' opinions and reactions.

Thanks,
Nick

Mike Hendren

Re:Olde Stone (Bowling Green, KY) - Arthur Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »
Nick,

I've been meaning to get up there.  Am I correct in understanding that the fairways are bent?  If so, it will be interesting to see how they hold up in the next ninety days.  I'll bet they were plush given the unseasonably cool weather we've enjoyed.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Nick Church

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »
Boy, you're going to test what little I know about agronomy.

I believe they are Bent.  My course (Fairvue Plantation) has Zyosia.  The difference was dramatic.  I would attribute to the weather and maintenance strategy.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
Nick,

I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed one of KYs finest, but let's be honest.  We really don't have time on this board to discuss/review an Art Hills course.  ;D

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:45:16 PM »
As a current resident of Bowling Green and WKU prof, let me assure you my only contact with Olde Stone has been driving through the development!

I think memberships were 35k and I have no idea if its sold out, or not. I did see where it would be difficult to walk it, and hearing the #1 handicap is the opening hole brings fear and sadness to my heart!

I think there was a charity event this spring which offered spots to play it for $250. I think i've now got a good idea of what I would miss, and will apply that to my membership in Crosswinds, the local muni... :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back