News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Quote about Keiser
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »
Happened to come across this quote on Amazon from a review of the new book on the creation of Bandon Dunes:

"Goodwin makes no mention of Keiser's thoughts on golf courses' tendency to wreak havoc on the land, which is strange considering Keiser founded an environmentally friendly greeting-card company"

Interesting question... Does builiding a golf course (even one that follows minimalist principles) inherently contradict being an envionmentalist?

Steve Curry

Re:Quote about Keiser
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:06:44 AM »
Breathing contradicts being an environmentalist!

Steve

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:12:33 AM »
Steve,
Raining up there?

Geoffrey,
I think the two can go hand in hand.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:18:59 AM »
It's obvious the mark of bad golf architecture has left a bad smell when it comes to greatgolf architecture that is accomplished while embracing the environment at places such as Bandon Dunes. Funny, the times I've been there the birds, bees, Tufted Puffins and Snowy Plovers all looked happy to me.

The person who made that critical review and statement has no understanding of what Mike Kesier has accomplished at Bandon Dunes. He should be traveling down to Irvine or somewhere else where development with no regard to the environment has destroyed a once pristine land. But the fact is that stopping it would have been close to impossible.

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »
Courses that Mr. Keiser is involved in building don't wreak havoc on the land.  I am reading the reviewers quote as saying that it is Mr. Keisers contention that a lot golf courses built wreak havoc on the land, and obviously anyone who knows much about the man knows that this is what Mr. Keiser has always been opposed to.  And subsequently why Bandon is soooo good.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
As Ms. Emily Latella would say then, Never mind!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:44:15 PM »
Some tree huggers just don't think golf greens are good things.  

Enviro types only want untouched naturalism......they would probably yell at ya for digging a hole to take a crap or spreading around too much material to make a landing for your tent level.

Gotta laugh not to cry......as we drill for more oil
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 01:45:25 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back