News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jesse Jones

Re:A bit OT: Food and Golf
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »
John,

The best BBQ in Bama is at Dreamland..

Here's their link..

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com

Jesse

ForkaB

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2006, 05:29:59 AM »
Wayne M.

Vis a vis Dornoch, Sutherland's is fine, but not particularly any better than a number of alternatives in town (Castle, Royal Golf, Trentham, even the Eagle).  On the other hand, Luigi's (for dinner, not lunch) is memorable--the nous of an excellent French bistro in Teuchter land.  2 Quail is highly rated, if you are looking for more of a French Laundry experience.  The Burghfield Hotel had a very good new chef (from Kentucky!) when I was there last (May).  If he's still there its worth giving that one a try.

Cruden Bay is a wasteland for anything other than golf and tremendous sea views.  The Red House is OK, but the Clubhouse can't be beat for the views.  The food is of Sutherland House quality.

Nairn--try eating (or even staying) at the Clifton House.  It's bizarre, but in a JakaB sort of way.

wsmorrison

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »
Rich,

Thanks.  The Eagle was the best eating we've had in Dornoch.  Your other suggestions in the region will be tried.  I may be visiting with Bill Dow this summer and will let him know your selections.

We ate at a good Indian restaurant in Nairn withing 15 minute walk of the hotel (Marine?) near the course.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »
Wayne-
Apres Crystal Downs you could make the 20 minute drive down to Arcadia Bluffs and have dinner on their porch overlooking the course and Lake Michigan -- above average food for a golf course and one of the nicest setting for a meal I've ever experienced, especially at sunset. If you're heading back to Traverse City there's a hidden gem called La Becasse on Glen Lake -- outstanding. On the more casual side go to Art's in Glen Arbor and have a whitefish burger and tater tots -- my favorite bar and grill on the planet.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2006, 06:20:30 PM »
Rich, a question about golf and drink.  I arrive in Dornoch on the sat pm of The Open.  Therefore with no time to suss the place out, where should I head for to enjoy the last afternoons play on the TV with a pint in my hand?  PS will try all of the above eateries thanks.

Wayne as you must know London is Huge, I would normally advise driving back to base and then dining out.  The Fat Duck has very few covers so book early - also you’ll be driving some way out of town from either Swinley or Sunnigdale to it.  Walton Heath is to the best of my knowledge a culinary desert.  IM me with the area of London you are staying in and the kind of food you like and I’ll be happy to suggest some great eating.

Generally for people looking for a really memorable “English” meal in London check out either of the two St John restaurants.  Squirrel anyone?
Let's make GCA grate again!

ForkaB

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2006, 06:32:06 PM »
Tony

The only place in Dornoch to watch the Open is at the Club.

Rich

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
St. Andrews - Vine Leaf restaurant was excellent

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2006, 06:56:39 PM »
Fat Duck menu from a previous (SHORT!) thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20352;start=msg363679#msg363679

I believe he has now lost his Michelin etoile...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

PCCraig

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2006, 09:31:29 PM »
I have four solid suggestions...

1) 36 at Forest Creek and dinner at the Pinecrest Inn.

2) Mid Ocean Club with dinner at Little Venice

3) The Country Club in Boston and Mamma Maria's in the north end (best lobster ravioli in the entire world.)

4) Saint Louis CC with frozen custard from Ted Drues afterwards on a hot summer day.

can't go wrong with any one of them  ;D
H.P.S.

peter_p

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2006, 11:16:04 PM »
Cruden Bay- Great food at the Udny Arms, about 20 minutes south. Beds tooooo soft.
Nairn - Swallow Newton Hotel.

ForkaB

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2006, 04:23:29 AM »
Fat Duck menu from a previous (SHORT!) thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20352;start=msg363679#msg363679

I believe he has now lost his Michelin etoile...

FBD.

Pas de tout, Martin.  M. Blumenthal a trois etoiles.  3*** en franglais.

Reeeshaaarrrr(d)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2006, 05:25:26 AM »
Ricard (or may I call you Pernod?),
trois etoiles it is!
I must have been having yet another CRAFT moment when I posted that drivel!

Do we think that Snail Porridge is truly the ultimate manifestation of L'Alliance Ancienne!?!?!(sp?)(Ich studierte Deutsch!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ForkaB

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2006, 05:45:48 AM »
Martin

You'll never get me to the Fat Duck or El Bulli or any other of those places that think food is a science rather than an art.  I'm too old to bungy jump and too old to even try to eat snail porridge with an ungrimaced face.  I call it the Claire Raynor Paradox.

Rich

PS--wofon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen.

R

Eric Franzen

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2006, 05:45:57 AM »
Rival chef Nico Ladenis once said: "Someone who makes egg and bacon ice cream is hailed a genius. If you vomit and make ice cream out of it, are you a star?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3645315.stm

James Bennett

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2006, 05:50:30 AM »
Rihc, FBD

We have a Pernot Ricard establishment nearby in the Barossa Valley which I expect to visit this weekend with our english tourists (my niece and her hsband from Leeds).  It is called Jacobs Creek.

We enjoyed visiting that other Pernod Ricard spot between Edinburgh and Inverness called GlenLivet, although the bottles we acquired have suffered serious evaporation on a couple of occasions since our return.  I don't think the 12 year old will see 13 years! :o

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2006, 07:41:13 AM »
Wayne -

After playing Walton Heath, I went to a very fine pub called The Running Horses, which is in  Mickleham.  If it's post-WH, the staff there will probably give you an  interesting route through a couple of back roads.

Another suggestion kind of halfway between Walton and Wentworth (but a few miles out of the way) would be a little pub & restaurant combo called The Onslow Arms in West Clandon, Surrey. Great old pub with colorful characters all driving Aston Martins or Porsches, and a dining room staffed by French kids and a superb French kitchen staff  -- but nothing at all pretentious about the menu, and no jacket or tie required.  

If you're going to be over during  when England play in a World Cup match he should just go into the nearest pub with a big screen and experience  the insanity !
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

wsmorrison

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2006, 07:46:04 AM »
Thanks to everyone for these replies.  While I'm travelling for the golf, the food experience should really shine with these suggestions.

james soper

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2006, 08:22:53 AM »
seminole in the afternoon, cocktails in the locker room, then reef grill for fresh hog snapper or tripletail.

indian creek, drinks on south beach at the clevelander, ted's hideaway or mac's club deuce(with models of course), then joe's for stone crabs and key lime pie or fox's in south miami for martinis, thumb bits(mini filets on garlic toast), and homemade hash browns.

old memorial, drinks in the locker room, then bern's (with a 'e', not a 'u')) for dinner, with macadamia hot fudge sundaes or a fine port or single malt in the dessert room upstairs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back