News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

SL_Solow

Briarwood bucks a trend
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
From time to time I have reported on my home club, Briarwood CC, a 1921 Colt and Allison design, modified by Nugent and Lohman, and then beautifully renovated by Mark Mungeam.   Late last fall the club received an unsolicited offer to sell its 157 acres in north suburban Chicago for $145 million.  After months of negotiation and significant politicing both on and off our board of directors, the members were asked to take a straw vote to help guide the board in its deliberations.  Our bylaws require an 80% affirmative vote to sell the club.

While a majority otf the members were in favor of a sale, the nays exceeded 40% and thus the measure failed.  The Board voted to inform the developer that negotiations would terminate immediately.

While some voters turned down the offer because they believed it contained too many conditions, nonetheless this action is contrary to the trend which has seen golf courses converted to housing and the like.  I for one am gratified that this wonderful course and club will be preserved.  I would not be surprised if somone takes another run at a purchase in the future, but the price was considered to be very high so it will be difficult to top the offering price.  It is encouraging to find a group that places a premium on the value that a friendly club with a fine golf course brings to the members' quality of life.

A_Clay_Man

Re:Briarwood bucks a trend
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »
Shel, Mahzel Tov to you and your members. The north shore is a special place and Briarwood is wise to recognize that, by not selling out, for money anyway.  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
I'll second that Mazel Tov...preserving a treasure (that has recently gone through a significant amount of TLC) was the RIGHT thing to do, and it is nice to see the membership realize that.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »
Did the club ask MJ if he wanted to match or up the bid??? ;)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
Quality of life will always win out, given time to reflect.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »
Well done Shel.

I'd say you had a pretty good week.  ;)

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »
congrats Shel!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 09:01:48 AM »
Well done Shel.

Shelly,

I just hope none of the members yell at you on the first tee!  ;)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 03:08:09 PM »
Well done Shel.

Shelly,

I just hope none of the members yell at you on the first tee!  ;)

Now that was just mean.  :) Plus- it was two weeks ago. This week was nothing but smiles.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 03:17:40 PM »
Thanks for the happy note, Shel.  Good to hear some very positive news!

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »
Glad to hear that some clubs are being sensible. Good news.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 06:09:25 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes.  One of the best parts of this result was the smile on the faces of our loyal employees the next day.  When the "atmosphere " of a club is important, no one should underestimate the importance of the staff.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
The club should have taken the 145 million and built a course elsewhere. Imagine what you could build somewhere nearby with that kind of money. The membership may have its priorities straight, but I never thought the course was all that great. (I mean no offense to that.) Not too many clubs get a chance like that.

A little off topic...I had no idea the real estate up in Deerfield was that high in demand.
H.P.S.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 07:58:11 PM »
Pat, I don't see the logic in that. Firstly, where? You couldn't find comparable land anywhere near there. Otherwise this would be buyer would be the one to do it, don't ya think? Sure, you could have someone come in and create a modern monstrosities. But Certainly not with the atmosphere Briarwood has, and clearly respects.

It's as though the members at Briarwood view their Colt and Allison as a work of art, and, by doing so, they have made it a priceless place.

Now who wouldn't want to be a member of a priceless place?

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 12:53:37 AM »
Pat,   each to his own.  When did you last play it/  Not too many Colt & Alison courses around, even if there have been some changes.   Not too many moderns I'd prefer.  Adam is correct about the availability of land.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »
I played it the summer before last I believe. I was under the impression that these people wanted to buy the club for real estate; and I was only throwing that out there as an idea. Something like merit club came to mind, somewhere up north more in Lake County.

I wasn't aware before I had played there that it was a Colt and Allison, but i'm afraid to say I could see more Dick Nugent than Colt. I think Bob O' Link and North Shore seem to be better examples of their work in the Chicagoland area.

Again I hope I'm not insulting anyone's club, I am mearly playing devil's advocate a bit  :D
H.P.S.

SL_Solow

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »
Pat;We should play sometime.  There is basically 1 Nugent feature left.  As far as the others, they are fine course but there is next to zero Allison at Bob o and more Nugent.  Fortunately there is still some Ross. North Dhore is closer but it has also been touched by Killian and Nugent as well as Packard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back