News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Jack Nicklaus: "a landscaper on acid"?
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »
That's David Feherty's line -- and is my pathetic attempt to keep this thread from being OT.

Because, really, I just wanted to pass along the URL of the most interesting "golf" article I've seen in a long time:

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/features/features/article/0,17742,1195178,00.html

[Link repaired. Thank you for the instruction, Martin Del Vecchio.]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:16:47 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

A_Clay_Man

Re:Jack Nicklaus: "a landscaper on acid"?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
Thanks Dan, Quite the read. Funny, sad and true.

Do you think Jack was too happy to be called a landscapper to be offended?

Kevin_Reilly

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 12:11:47 PM »
http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/features/features/article/0,17742,1195178,00.html

To make this work, you need to surround the URL with tags.  I can't type them here exactly, because then they would be interpreted as tags.

So here goes:  a tag always starts with '[' and ends with ']'.  The tag before should have 'url' between the braces, and the tag after should have '/url' between the braces.

And none of the quotes I typed should appear.

Let me try it with spaces,which of course you should not include:

[ u r l ]http://www.host.com/something[ / u r l ]

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
Dan,

Feherty describes the Irish understanding of the game of  "golf" like McCort describes the Irish understanding of the art of "teaching".  Which is to say that both game and art are reflections of life as interpretted in the wit and wisdom of these two Irish manic-depressive geniuses, too often fueled by whiskey or abstinence from it.  I cant get enough of either of them.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »
Dick --

If they had a little Italian in them, they might be painfully perfect!

Dan

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
If you read between their lines, they are both Italian wanna-bees. ;) ;D  My coffee mug reads, "Irish temper - Italian attitude".   It is the whole bi-polar manic depressive thing to the max... ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
Dan, RJ

I've always thought that's why Catholicism flourished in both Italy and Ireland: the perfect split-personality, heaven-and-hell, sin-and-redemption, a saint-for-every-day-of-the-year (so you can always pray for help from the mess you've gotten yourself into with your temper and/or attitude), everything's-a-symbol-for-something-bigger(and better)-than-you, we're-all-fallen-sons-of-Adam religion.

And you get wine with your meals.

Or as and old girlfriend once said, no wonder you Italians are Catholics: if you didn't have a hell to scare you into behaving properly there'd be riots in the streets.

David Feherty is obviously a good man; all the best to him.

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 03:53:32 PM »
I've always thought that's why Catholicism flourished in both Italy and Ireland: the perfect split-personality, heaven-and-hell, sin-and-redemption, a saint-for-every-day-of-the-year (so you can always pray for help from the mess you've gotten yourself into with your temper and/or attitude), everything's-a-symbol-for-something-bigger(and better)-than-you, we're-all-fallen-sons-of-Adam religion.

Very interesting stuff.

Makes me wonder: Do Catholic GCAs favor the Penal style?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »
Well, I can only speak for this Catholic, and, while I can't say I prefer the penal style of golf course architecture, I can certainly understand it:

basically, if you're not good enough you will suffer...and you will continue to suffer until you become better.

And you can't blame the architect for your troubles either!

I guess in this analogy, taking golf lessons would be like going to confession

Peter
btw, please note that I should have 'smiley faces' all over my last two posts...I didn't use them because they make me feel like Red Skelton

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 04:15:09 PM »
The only downside to him getting sober is that he seems like an all time top 10 guy to have beers with.  Best of luck to him.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »
Peter-Dan,
McCort and Feherty have plenty to say on that whole Catholicism, guilt, and fear of eternal damnation mongering topic, as well.  Another reason I am drawn to their commentary.  They have both experienced deamons and hellish anquish here on earth already, due to the "I gene's" propensity towards sating the powerful tirst", which give them a measure of credibility in my eyes.

My Italian half understands this in context with the "anema e core" which has all the volitility of Vesuvius in terms of acting out passionate outbursts, without the dreadful hang-overs the next day.

Penal architorture seems most Catholic to me, with the Cardinals and Bishops all getting a mulligan on each hole, while the membertship are held to the letter of the canon and pay excessive greens fees.

My guess is Feherty would design an Irish links, creative and challenging, with a measure of forgiveness, that one could play over and over again without getting bored.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 04:18:53 PM by RJ_Daley »

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
Penal architorture - audible yucks there Dick.  One of the best 'Rihc' I've seen.  

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back