News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Is We-Ko-Pa that good a course or...
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:10:10 AM »
...does it get better ratings because of the total lack of housing?

Played there on Tuesday and I was shocked that given the population density of the greater PHX area that We-Ko-Pa was totally lacking in obtrusive hosuing. As we played the golf was very very good, but looking back was it that good or was the experiance that much better due to no housing?

There are some very strong holes par 5 #8 is workld class as is the par 5 #17. The par 3's we're good. Some of the 4's seemed a little short, but it might have been the tee box set up. The routing was very good. I enjoyed the isolation for most of the holes (for many who have not seen it, the routing and lay of the land provides a significant number of holes where you see no other holes).

Tried to get a look at the Saguaro course (the new C&C course) but couldn't get out there. They are promotoing it actively in the clubhouse and have targeted a Dec opening.
Integrity in the moment of choice

A_Clay_Man

Re:Is We-Ko-Pa that good a course or...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:04 AM »
Don't forget the great conditioning as a factor in those ratings, or rankings.

My impression of the Miller design was that it utilized some of the core principles of strategic design, and did so in a gentle, modern way. Having said that, I left there feeling it was a step in the right direction GCAwise, but similar to a Chineese meal, I was still hungry for more.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 06:52:26 PM »
John

There is no housing at WeKoPa because the Fort MacDowell Indian Tribe/Nation owns the land. There will never be any housing there or at the C&C course. Likewise for Talking Stick and Whirlwind in the Valley and numerous other courses on Indian land elsewhere.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »
Land owned by Indian reservations play a huge factor. Pretty much any large open space that is not developed in the phoenix reason is because the land is owned by a tribe. Is it even legal for them to sell homesites on their property?

I still want to get out to we-ko-pa and check it out for my self. Not owning a car really limits my options. I am Karsten golf course for life out here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 07:13:34 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Walt Cutshall

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 07:44:53 AM »
I played the course once and remember it to be a great golf experience. I think the lack of housing makes it very attractive visually. That does enhance the epxerience, because let's face it--golf is recreation. It is a great challenge to good players while being playable by less skilled ones. I rank it among the very best I've played in in the Phoenix area, and in the top tier of courses I've played overall.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back