News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

Course flow
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »
Which courses have the best flow of holes or grouping of holes thru the round that results in an exilarating golf experience?  

Yeamans Hall is a course that has nearly ideal flow to me.  Starts easy but interesting, toughens up from 4-8 with 4 good 4 pars and a nice redan, provides some terrific shorter holes from 10-13, then really has a great set of tough holes from 14-16, before providing an interesting but not brutal final 2 holes.  I always walk off feeling challenged, interested, but not like I've been thru a war.  Other ideas?

BCrosby

Re:Course flow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
John -

This is a very good topic that deserves a response. (There are some old threads on this topic, btw.)

Flow is very important. When done well it can be almost like following the progress of a symphony. It can be magical and sometimes not fully appreciated until after the round.

I agree about Yeamans. ANGC has a remarkable flow to it. No consecutive holes of the same par on the front. A steady ebb and flow of short and long holes all through the course. Great stuff.

Flow suffers when too much attention is paid to building one  spectacular hole after another. A great course needs andantes as well as adagios.

The notion gets often overlooked because you can't show pictures of flow in magazines. But its important and great courses have it.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:19:33 PM by BCrosby »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:04:30 PM »
http://thecaddyshack.blogspot.com/

3/4 down the page Ian Andrew talks about the flow of Merion.

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:20:54 PM »
your statement about a symphony reminds me of how michael bamberger (yes now a wie bit famous) sports illustrated writer described the finish to his home course, Phila cricket. a symphony which keeps building until the finish which just overwhelms you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back