News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Hollywood GC (NJ) to be sold for development?!?!?
« on: April 07, 2006, 08:56:47 AM »
I would prefer not to be spreading outrageous rumours, but I was told yesterday by a credible friend, who lives in Monmouth County (NJ), that the membership of the Hollywood GC has been offered a VERY large sum of money to sell their property for a housing development. The members are giving it serious consideration and are looking at acquiring property to build a new course, clubhouse, etc. further inland, near Colts Neck.

Can anyone out there (calling Matt Ward!) confirm or deny that this is true? It seems so unlikely.

I spent 4 summers working for the tennis pro at Hollywood GC while I was in high school some 40 years ago. I never got to play the golf course. Sounds like there is a chance I never will.  

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Hollywood GC (NJ) to be sold for development?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
There is NO serious thought being given to any such matter.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Cedar Hill Golf club  ?

Bruce Katona

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:53:22 AM »
Matt would have his pulse on the real estate rumor mill here in NJ.   While it would be a shame to lose a gem like this, the location of the real estate will always make it a target for development.  Given that other local private clubs may be struggling, it may warrant some consideration.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »
David Tepper,

I"m told that it's Deal Country Club, just across the street from Hollywood and less then a mile from the Ocean that's been offered a bid.

Some towns iin NJ are rezoning golf courses in an attempt to prevent them from selling excess land, or the club itself to developers.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
I know nothing about this, but do know that similar offers are very common, and are accepted fairly rarely.  If the club is doing well, then there is no reason to sell, even if the developer, as they often do, offer land further out of town, usually in combination with a housing project they are also doing.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
David,

As Pat Mucci said, this is an offer that Deal Country Club has had on the table for over the past 8mos. Yes, the membership is considering it, but has yet to find a suitable property to relocate to. They did begin due diligence on Colts Neck, but the last I knew, they had found too many problems and were looking elsewhere.

The present President of Hollywood GC is a friend and he assures me that while they have received informal overtures from developers, from time-to-time, they have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in SELLING.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:40:16 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
Pat M. & Steve L. -

Thanks for the update and clarification. Knowing the membership of Hollywood GC (at least as it was 40 years ago), I had a hard time imagining them cashing in and moving the club elsewhere.

I know the Deal GC quite well, as my mother taught for a number of years at the Deal Elementary School, which was adjacent to the the club property.

Please keep us posted if anything further develops.

DT  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
David:

From the people I know and speak to -- the issue is centered on Deal not Hollywood. What Pat and Steve have mentioned is on target and accurate.

Keep in mind this -- there are always people floating ideas to various clubs in New Jersey and throughout the metro NY area in regards to possible selling their properties for future housing and the like. Many are usually dismissed out of hand right from the get-go.

There are always trila balloons sent forward to see if anything might resonate with various members.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back