News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Donegal and Connemara
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »
Several years ago, when I studied for a summer at Trinity College in Dublin, I played the Donegal (Murvagh) and Connemara (Ballyconneely) courses.  While neither course was on the level of, say a Lahinch, I found both to be in great settings and very enjoyable to play.  I particularly liked Murvagh, which I played on a sunny afternoon as a single when there were maybe 2 other groups on the entire course.

I understand there have been changes to both of these courses.  I believe Pat Ruddy has made some changes to Murvagh.  What has he done and how does the new version compare to the old?  I know they've added a new nine at Connemara which is closer to the sea.  How is the new nine?  

Thanks for any comments.

Tim Pitner

Re:Donegal and Connemara
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
Anyone at all?

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
 Hang in there ,Tim. There are some posters with knowledge on theses courses. I hope to go to one or the other the next time over.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:20 PM »
Tim,
I'll bite.

I played Donegal in 1997. Beautiful setting, but I felt many of the holes had a straight, LONG,parallel look to them.
Plenty of good holes though. Felt a bit modern, a little bit like the front nine at Waterville prior to the recent redo.
beautiful part of the world though, I distinctly remember a beautiful area of the course with stunning trees (of all things)
My memory may be a bit skewed as our foursome played 18 holes in 2 hours and five minutes(It's a BIG course too) as we arrived late in the evening.
Narin and Portnoo  up the road a ways packs significantly more quirk,fun,and charm (albeit on a much smaller scale)

I played Connemara in 2003. It has a quite nice holes but not that many that feel all that linksy/duney. The front nine is mainly up and back holes on essentially flat ground, the back nine has lots of elevation changes and good holes but they feel more like plateaus and cliffs rather than dunes in most cases.
You'd think I'd have more affection as I shot my low Irish round there, but it's not nearly the equal of Carne or Inniscrone.
I have a friend that's a member there who avoids the new nine like the plaque-I only saw it from a distance.
Connemara Isles ,a nine holer with a thatched roof clubhouse/pub clubhouse near Galway completely captured my heart and crammed more charm ,seaside thrills, and fun than all 27 at Connemara.

That said I'd play both on a return trip.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
How dearly I would love to visit either.

I'd have to take my golf clubs and fly rod however, as I recall a magical angling series from the area on TV. 'Dapping' with a natural mayfly is my idea of nirvana (after CPC!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »
Jeff,

"Big" is a good way to describe Murvagh.  Aside from the fact that it has five par 5s, it occupies a lot of land and the views from the course are expansive, from the "mountains" (I'm from Colorado) to the sea.  To me, it seemed like, with some improvements, it could go from a good to a great course.  I wonder what Pat Ruddy has done . . . I couldn't tell from their website.  Has anyone played Murvagh recently?

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:10:25 PM »
I played both courses in the spring of 2003.  Both course are enjoyable, but for me Donegal was a better layout.  Connemara had some excellent holes, but nothing super memorable.  The back nine is pretty good, as the holes have more undulation to them.  When I played Donegal they were making some rather small changes such as the addition of some new bunkers and tees on a couple of holes.  The flat holes at Donegal leave one lacking, but 5 through 11 are really fun to play.  The 5th is an excellent par three and 8 is a reall roller coaster of a par 5.  Overall I would suggest both are worth seeing if you have time, but there are some better choices in the northwest of Ireland.

Brendan

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:42 PM »
I've been visiting Connemara (Ballyconneely) since 1997, racking up maybe 4 rounds now!! And I'm a member these days.. I do know a little history about the 3rd nine. I believe it was the last work that Eddie Hacket did before passing away. My mate, then the secretary, told me he had to carry EH over some of the fences and walls,  when he was routing it - he was so decrepit... Anyway - the general and correct preception of Connemara is that the back nine is fine challenging golf and the front is a warm up. So they had decided that if they could get a new front nine they might be able to get a pro tournament. Yes, I believe it was discussed.  I've only played the new 9 once, and it wasn't a great day for me, but it was clear that they had used the majority of the workable land on the original 18. There are a few excellent isolated holes in the 9, but there is no flow from hole to hole. And I think the general reception has not been positive. So they are no closer to their tournament. But for a place to play golf - the feeling, the air, the views and the folk - I'd rather be there than most anywhere. Wish I was there right now, actually.
One of my best friends spent some time in Donegal a few years back and his feelings for the course there seem very similar to mine for Ballyconneeely.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »
I played Connemara about 10 years ago and I really liked it.  It wasn't quite up to the level of the big name courses but the setting is fabulous.  As we approached the course it started looking less and less like we were still on Earth and more and more like we were on the Moon!  Definitely some interesting ricochets if you hit it into the "rough" on most holes, and I don't think having a dozen guys helping you would do you any good with most of the rocks there.  I figure they are probably like icebergs, with only 10% showing above ground ;)

I wouldn't advise someone to go out of their way there if they are looking to maximize their trip's value in terms of seeing the greatest possible architecture.  But if they want to get off the beaten path and away from the touristy crowds and have a unique golfing experience, its hard to beat a day trip up there.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:54:10 AM »
Tim

I've played both courses a few times, and the comments above pretty much sum it up. It has been about 4 or 5 years since I played Murvah, so I don't know if that was before or after the Ruddy changes. Also, I did not play the new nine in Connemara. I did think the old back nine was excellent.

It has a kind of burren landscape, much like Co. Clare

The only thing I can add is that I have a bottle of Connemara peated single malt whiskey in the house that I brought back. It's not quite Middleton's but worth the trip. I've heard positive second hand reports about he golf course.

Bill - the Connemara is improving all the time as their stock matures. Next time you try it, it should be even better.
John Marr(inan)

Richard Phinney

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 07:11:24 AM »
Tim, I've played Murvagh recently and I think you'll find that it still feels much the same after Pat Ruddy's work.  It can withstand a fair bit more tinkering than, say, the old Portsalon could. Though I hope they stop now for a decade or two or three.

I have only had the chance for a fairly quick look at the new nine at Connemara - just as it was about to open - and I must give way to Lloyd, who has clearly played it (what a great club to be a member of!).  For what it's worth, my impression was that it looked like a hell of a lot of fun, though as Lloyd indicates it is inevitably very unlike the original 18 in character, as the terrain is very different. I would try to play it if I were you (and report back!).

I would also say that while Eddie Hackett may have been frail when he designed the new nine at Connemara, he was certainly not "decrepit".... He knew exactly what he was doing. I hope I am not breaking any club rules by quoting a passage from our book:

"It is a numbingly cold November morning, and we are stumbling our way through a rough field along the seawall near the tiny village of Ballyconneely on the west coast of Ireland. I cannot recall when I have ventured out of doors on a nastier day. It is no more than forty-five degrees and I am being thrashed by rain whipping off the ocean. The wind is deafening and the raindrops feel like ice pellets on my cheek.

We have reached a sturdy barbed-wire fence, and my companion, a frail eighty-five-year-old man in rubber boots and a heap of black rain gear, has taken it into his head that we need to roll underneath it. The bottom wire can't be more than a foot from the ground. But Eddie Hackett is already on his hands and knees before I have a chance to suggest an alternative course of action.

"Jack Nicklaus wouldn't do this, would he?" shouts the dean of Irish golf architects, as he lays flat on his back and begins to squirm his way under the dangerous-looking wire. There is a gleam in his eye and just a hint of mischief in his lilting Irish voice. "Maybe he would design the course from an aer-o-plane."

"I find that nature is the best architect!" shouts Hackett as he trudges through knee-high grass, pacing the width of a fairway that at this point exists only in his mind. "I just try to dress up what the Good Lord provides. Of course He gave us a lot in this place."

On this most miserable of mornings, Hackett is designing an additional nine holes for the Connemara Golf Club. He laid out the original course in 1970 for a local community group that thought a golf course might spur economic development in a region devastated by unemployment and emigration. The golf course weaves through a stark landscape of exposed slabs of rock, and on a fair day it is hauntingly beautiful, swallowed up by the natural elements.

"They had no money, you know," Hackett continues. "I told them if you're that keen on golf, I'll go down and I'll put a stone in for a tee and a pin in for a green, and you can pay me when you can."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 10:28:09 AM »
For me the greates part of the course is the friendliness of the members and the time spent in the very understated clubhouses.  The course are really just B- course but well worth the cisit just to see what can be done on a limited buddget.  The over all experince is just terrific--A-.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Pitner

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 11:17:56 AM »
Eddie Hackett was truly one of a kind.  I have nothing but fond memories of both Donegal and Connemara golf clubs.  They may not be as interesting as their NW Ireland neighbors Carne and Enniscrone, but they are well worth playing.  And I recommend Donegal town and Clifden (near Ballyconneely) as places to stay.  It sounds like Pat Ruddy didn't do too much to Murvagh--he probably added a few bunkers.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
 It sounds like Pat Ruddy didn't do too much to Murvagh--he probably added a few bunkers.

Actually, he's done a bit more than that, even a little rerouting...be interested to hear what you think...

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »
agreed, both Donegal and Clifden are both fun towns.

In Donegal,I distinctly remember convincing a young lass to skip work at the local factory to caddie for us the next morning (and conveniently our B&B was next to the golf course so she wouldn't have to walk far  ;)
before intervention from her more dicriminating friend doomed us to a restoration of our upstanding morals.
Needless to say we carried our own bags the next day.

Clifden was fun as well.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back