News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Medinah's "other" courses: 1 and 2
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »

I would like to hear about the best greens and most interesting holes at Medinah #1 (Doak)  and Medinah #2 (Jones)  I believe they were both updated and improved by tree management within the past 2 years.

Thank you !

Blake Conant

Re: Medinah's "other" courses: 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
It's been too long since I've been back to Medinah no. 1, but it has lots of compelling golf.  My favorite stretch being 11-14, particularly 12 and 13.   The land is bottled between the entrance and OB on gentle ground.  Not much to work with, but what little elevation there is on 12 is married with a unique punchbowl green to create some deceptive visibility issues.  13 is bolder, particularly at the green with a tier running 7-to-1 o'clock and a big ridge right that blocks visibility and creates a bad angle for tee shots that shy away from the left hand bunker/OB left. 

1 probably doesn't get enough credit, particularly the different ways you can play it from 250 yards and in.  Everyone's mind is still focused on that camel.  4 uses the creek well and leaves the golfer with a choice of angle or distance.  6 is one of my favorites on the course, and probably the most severe green.  Maybe I'm a sucker for holes with no bunkers.  7, 15, 18 are all good par 3s and 16 a stout, long, uphill par 4. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:36:17 PM by Blake Conant »

Peter Flory

Re: Medinah's "other" courses: 1 and 2
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
I was incredibly surprised by the renovation of #2.  It is fast and firm with tons of short grass and somewhat unique bunker mow lines- a lot of fairways cut straight into the traps like the pic below.  Most courses in this style don't have the maintenance budget that Medinah has, but the maintenance really is hard to ignore in this case because it is so good.  And it is a joy to walk with the firmness of the turf, the closely mown walkways, and the proximity of the tees to the greens.  It's intimate. 

The bunker below is in the middle of a double fairway and serves both holes.  It is very similar to a Bendelow FW bunker that was on the NLE OFCC #2 course.

Having 3 courses with very different styles and difficulty levels is pretty unique. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back