News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Buda Cup Preparation
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »
I thought I would just check on the preparations being made for this year's Buda Cup in October, so I visited Royal Liverpool and Wallasey.  I am pleased to say that Royal Liverpool are taking this very seriously.  They have roped off every bunker on the course and also roped off huge chunks of rough.  Players must use mats on the fairways.  They are allowed to tee off from grass tees, but forward ones.  I presume they have reserved the back tees for us and don't want to have them untidy for our visit.  I was a little disappointed to see them using the proper greens, but they were fairly woolly so I doubt if any lasting damage was done.  In my opinion, if they keep these restrictions in place until the end of July the course should be in reasonable condition for us.

Similarly at Wallasey there were vast piles of sand in GUR bunkers and I witnessed a greenkeeper reseeding a ridge just short of the first green.  There is no way I will drive that far in the Buda Cup, but it was kind of him to reseed it anyway, just in case.  I slipped him a fiver for such thorough preparation on our behalf.

Can't wait!

mike_malone

Re:Buda Cup Preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:26:57 PM »
 Mark,

More evidence of the huge impact of gca.com on the golf world.... It's scary!

BTW where is The Open this year?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:44:21 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:47:29 PM »
Mark -

Do you know which courses in that area will be used as Open qualifying sites this year? Just curious.

DT

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »
Mark -

Do you know which courses in that area will be used as Open qualifying sites this year? Just curious.

DT

David,
Mark mentions some of them in his Post. The local quallies are at: Conwy, Formby, Wallasey and West Lancashire.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:11:55 PM »
The last time the Open was held at RLGC (1967) there were only two qualifying courses, Sandiway and Delamere Forest.  I'm hoping that many Buda Cup competitors (What am I saying? This is a love-in, not a competition!) might find the time to play both courses and give some objective assessment of both.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »
In keeping with the theme, I have new avatar over on the sid eof my profile...to go woth my Beatles Liverpool shirt for the first day matches.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 06:28:43 PM »
Mark any chance of a crash course in 'scouse'?  I'm a bit worried for some of our overseas visitors and they've only got half a year to learn a whole new language.
Let's make GCA grate again!

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:33 PM »
Mark

I heard an ugly rumour that they were to be opening up Hoylake for some sort of competition in mid-July, just 2 1/2 months prior to the Buda Cup!  Surely this is not so? :o

BTW, have they attended to the routing changes we asked for?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
Rich,

We didn't ask for that.  They volunteered, themselves, to do it so that our 17th and 18th would be properly worked in, understanding as they do the significance of our match.  After all, so many singles and foursomes match-play contests come to a halt before the 17th and 18th, so why leave the classic 17th and 18th unplayed?  Play them as the 1st and 2nd for the rabbits and these holes will be perfectly suited to conclude your next competitive 65.  They are only altering the order of the holes to make it more accessible for Blue Peter - remember this is one of the very few golf tournaments the BBC has managed to hold on to.  Even little Steve Rider has gone to some commercial channel in frustration.  Hang on, wasn't I made redundant by the BBC?   Yes I was, and I'm still pissed off about it.......

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:26:40 PM »
Bump.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:57:03 AM »
Am I missing something? What is the Buda Cup?

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »
Matt, et. al.

Just bumped up and old thread for your interest.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 07:01:03 AM »
I should also have added that they are resurfacing Meols Drive at this very moment in readiness for our tournament.  

ForkaB

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 07:27:56 AM »
Good news, Mark!  Did they used Barney's company for the asphalt, as recommended?  Are the stands up yet?  Have they decided on where the presentation of the Buda Cup will be--old 16th or old 18th or in the dirty bar?

Many thanks for your efforts.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
What IS the Buda Cup? It's this:

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
I was really there to look at a number of hotels/guest houses.  Philip will be posting about this soon, so I shall not steal his thunder, but I think I've found a place which is to hotels what Painswick is to golf courses.  It should be fun, and if it isn't, the alcohol will anaesthetise the senses.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 02:49:20 PM »
And by the way, there's a Morrisons supermarket in West Kirby, just along from RLGC, which has 'Piddle in the Hole' amongst its vast selection of beers by the bottle.  

For that matter, collectors of such trivia should also make sure to visit the FCUK store in central Manchester.  An American friend of mine (not, sadly, a golfer) spent a fortune in there buying T-shirts with logos such as Fcukstrated etc because he could not find presents like that in San Francisco!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 02:54:09 PM »
"Piddle in the hole???"(' :o')

Shocked!  Shocked, I say!(' ;)')
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 02:54:56 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back