News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Grumble....
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2304190

Gotta love how the Colonial has an underrated venue.

And how $3.3 million renovations make it a formidible Open course.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Grumble....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »
Kyle

Tonight we'll discuss how 3.3M will help improve Cobbs Creek. Let's talk about a response to the Fairmont Park Commission on how it's necessary to spend money to make money in golf.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »
Steve,

Sounds good to me.

I think we should all also buy Bill V. some saplings.

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 09:13:55 PM »
Um...I think Colonial is an underrated venue and the point is a good one.  It is unfortunate that the length that the ball goes today has made it a bit obsolete for many tour players.  

I have no problem with Tiger and the other long ballers to skip that tournament because it takes the driver out of their hands.  They are there to win and that decision is no different than Fred Funk skipping a bombers course.

I don't like the way the USGA has run the Open as anyone but $3.3 million to make Torrey Pines an Open course may not have been a bad idea.  A US open makes a city a lot of money and that is what it takes to get the Open let them do it.  It was surely not a classic design that they redid.  Rees Jones redid the Black and made a few controversial changes and that was a classic (and still is).  let San Diego have their "Peoples Open" as well.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 11:09:26 PM »
Paul,

It's not so much a knock at Torrey Pines and the San Diego Peoples' Open as much as it is the logic that money = difficulty = US Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back