News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Mike strantz on courses, family, philosophy & NGLA
« on: December 26, 2005, 12:29:56 PM »
I found an extra Christmas present last night and thought I'd share.

I found some old interview snippets with Mike Strantz from when I chatted with him in August 2004...when he was in remission.

He said some really charming things about his family, golf courses and other topics I thought you guys and other might find interesting.

I put them on my web site:

http://jayflemma.blogspot.com

I think you guys will especially like his comments about NGLA!  He said "There are so many ways to attack the course, it's like gold to a golfer."  My personal favorite was his reminisces from the "Hinkle Tree" episode of the '79 us open at INverness.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 01:23:21 PM by Jay Flemma »

RJ_Daley

Re:Mike strantz on courses, family, philosophy & NGLA
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:10:33 PM »
That is a nice rememberance Jay.  Thanks for letting us in on it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ross Thomas

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:38:11 PM »
As a frequent visitor to Tobacco Road, I really wish Mike had been able to employ the 2 1/2 game to the course.  I guess to some extent he did, since each nine often takes 2 1/2hrs to play.....but I don't think that's what he had in mind.  

Tobacco Road is a wonderful course, but I think there needed to be a little better balance between "where the holes lay" and "pace of play"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 02:26:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing...I wish I had known Strantz personally...it appears from sampling his work was extraordinary!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »
 Tobacco Road is a wonderful course, but I think there needed to be a little better balance between "where the holes lay" and "pace of play"

Ross-

I used to play tobacco road quite a bit when I am at school and I understand what your saying. The walks to certain holes on the back are terrible. We acctually stopped playing there as much and switched to Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Two great courses that you can walk very quickly.

cheers.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
Shea has a point, a couple walks are long...I think some of it is also new players trying to figure out holes 15 and 16.  I still cant figure out where I'm going at 15...but it follows Mackenzie's rule about the line of charm...put stuff in the middle of the fairway to hit around and you make things really interesting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back