News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:What would you serve?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 05:59:33 PM »

As long as we're on the topic of food, I have a theory that your favorite pizza is the pizza joint you grew up on. Hold true for anyone else?

George-

Squan Tavern, Manasquan, NJ. Wonderful, thin crust pizza.  Some good golf nearby too, and a good beach  :)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 06:03:13 PM »
Just for the record my wife just walked in and saw that I was talking about childhood pizza on a golf course architecture internet discussion board and said that I'm officially a dork :)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 06:13:48 PM »
New Jersey Tomato and Onion salad

I don't know whether such a thing exists or not, but if it does, just the thought of it is damn funny, unless of course, Doug, you're the editor if New Jersey Tomato Conoisseur Magazine -- in which case, I assume you have sampled an unparallelled bredth and depth of tomatoes and onions in reaching your conclusions, pardna'!

Best New Post of the Year (Affordable).
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 06:40:54 PM »
New Jersey Tomato and Onion salad

I don't know whether such a thing exists or not, but if it does, just the thought of it is damn funny, unless of course, Doug, you're the editor if New Jersey Tomato Conoisseur Magazine -- in which case, I assume you have sampled an unparallelled bredth and depth of tomatoes and onions in reaching your conclusions, pardna'!

Dave,

I'm from NJ originally, and grew up there and on Long Island.  My appetizer and meal draws from those environments-the shore, beach, ocean, whatever you call it, as well as my German/British Isles heritage.  

Agriculture is an important part of New Jersey's history, and is a continuing important part of New Jersey's economy.  When possible, and in-season, I enjoy going to farms and buying locally-grown produce.  There's a lot more to NJ than the Turnpike, Baltusrol, and Pine Valley.  I found this out in 5th grade.  This is a beautiful place to live.  
So I thought it was important to use ingredients from my home state when and where possible.  

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2005, 06:41:14 PM »
I think I'd persuade the Men of the Matsers to make it a 2-night affair.

Evening #1
SALAD: Caesar, made tableside, with a raw egg and a liberal amount of anchovies
SOUP: Shrimp Bisque
APPETIZER: Half a dozen freshly shucked oysters on the half-shell with appropriate accompaniments
ENTREE: Filet mignon, topped by a nicely sized lobster tail, topped by a thin piece of foie gras
DESSERT: Chocolate Mousse Cake drizzled with a raspberry sauce

I'll post my sharply contrasting but no less satisfying Evening #2 meal after dinner, in a little while (I'm quite hungry, unsurprisingly).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

rgkeller

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 06:48:21 PM »
As much as I like the idea of cheesesteaks from Jim's or D'Allesandro's with Tastykakes and Black Cherry Wishniak soda or  Double-Doubles from In-N-Out or even the Corned Beef on Rye, I would serve a more formal meal,the likes of which have never been served at ANGC, as follows:

Appetizers: Gefilte Fish and Chopped Liver
Soup: Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
Intermezzo: Kishka
Entree: Brisket(not that BBQ stuff from Texas,which is pretty good,I might add, but real brisket cooked with onion soup mix) served with Kasha and Bowties
Dessert: Apple Cake
Apertif: Slivovitz Plum Brandy

This meal would cause quite a stir at ANGC. ;D

Almost as much a stir as trying to certify the AN kitchen kosher.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »
There you guys go again, pontificating on the best wines... ::)

Did you guys drink those wines in varied wind conditions?  Did you have them with fish and meat entrees?  Did you have them when it as hot and dry, and little moisture, causing firm and fast palate?  If you only tried them once, how the hell can you make such declarations? :o

BTW, best Pizza is "Il Penguino" in Scala Italy above Amalfi Coast.  Origianal Napolitano wood fired oven pizza.  I think it is owned by some relative of ex-Gov. Mario Cuomo, or else they are his native soil PAC.  They have many photos of him on walls with the owners... ;)  When there, try the Quatro Formaggio with a boat load of wood fired, sauteed Cozze for starters. (see recipe above - you didn't think it was stricktly my recipe, did you?)  ;) ;D 8)  No one there ever heard of Alister MacKenzie... ;D :P
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2005, 07:58:08 PM »
Dave, you big tomato faced teutonic cro-magnum man...you are onto the secret ;D

Tomatoes, (Tomatos? as in Quale spelling) were brought to Europe in the mid 1500s from the Aztecs who got them from the Peruvian tribes.  They were originally golden, thus the Italian designation calling them Pomi d'oro, now pomidori ( translation: golden apples).  They were cultivated to into their redness. The stop sign effect indeed it is!

Some of the Brits thought they might be poisonous.  So some guy named Colonel Johnson ate a bushel of them in a town square to prove they were not.  Although he was later seen running between little shacks behind village homes for days to come...

The Tomatoe was not complete (as in 'you complete me') until it was properly married to the large leaf pungent basilico plant and the garlic clove and combined with various pane and pasta.

You are a lucky man Dave because very near your home you will find the below landmark on Touhy Ave, and within one block you will find a wood fired Pizzaria named Graziano's, where they have cases and cases of pomidori displayed on the floor as interior decor, and serve a pretty good pie with the fruit in question properly infused into the dough.

But Dave, do you think you'd like firm and brown sauce on that linquini, or the more lush red conditions given by modern cultivations?  Yes, there is a New Jersey school of tomatoe design, and a New York one, and of course CB was very familiar with the Chicago school...

One last thing Dave, Tomato pulp and and yougurt on the face for 15 minutes before you go to bed at night will help you keep that big red baby face of yours.

;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John_Cullum

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »
There you guys go again, pontificating on the best wines... ::)

Did you guys drink those wines in varied wind conditions?  Did you have them with fish and meat entrees?  Did you have them when it as hot and dry, and little moisture, causing firm and fast palate?  If you only tried them once, how the hell can you make such declarations? :o

RJ

Don't you know that WIND is always spelled in all caps, occasionally in blue.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2005, 08:53:40 PM »
Well since we're on the subject of tomatoes, I'd like to recommend highly--to anyone who has not tried them--yellow, orange, and green tomatoes.  My Aunt's parents have a small vineyard in Napa valley, and they have a small vegetable garden as well.  The tomatoes that are grown in that garden are some of the sweetest I've ever tasted.

Anyway, here's

Evening #2:
SALAD: No thanks
SOUP: Not necessary tonight
APPETIZER: Only if you count Hushpuppies.  Lots and lots of Hushpuppies, preferably from Stephenson's Barbecue near (I think) Rocky Mount, NC
ENTREE: Fine-Chopped and Coarse-Chopped BBQ from Speedy's Barbecue in Lexington, NC (The Barbecue Capital of the World, so I'm told).  Pounds and pounds of it, plus enough of that fantastic vinegar-based sauce to pour all over it.  And some bona fide southern Slaw, finely chopped so it can be enjoyed with a spoon.
DESSERT: Probably not necessary, 'cause the 'cue is THAT outstanding.    But perhaps a couple gallong of Cookies n'Cream or Chocolate chip ice cream from Tulmeadow Farm in Simsbury, CT.

I can't decide which evening's meal I'd look forward to more earnestly.  I know one thing, though; I can't wait until the next time I'm in the Carolinas.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »
Well, since the Stewart Sandwiches "Beefburger" has been eradicated from the globe apparently;   :'(

Then, I'd simply serve my guests a large, piping hot bowl of Pho Tai washed down with copious amounts of Vietnamese lemonade and iced coffee.

We'd then retire to the patio to smoke cigars and taste a variety of cheap red wines.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2005, 11:19:09 AM »
I must weigh in on this tomato issue, as my home county is famous them.  I know first-hand that many California growers ship their empty labeled boxes to Ripley to be filled and returned so they can claim the  product.  

The tomato festival includes, among other things, tomato tasting, a tomato eating contest and a tomato war.  There's also a four man scramble that desperately needs to be placed on the Hillbilly Tour schedule.

I believe they even serve tomato milkshakes at the Sonic that week.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2005, 11:45:02 AM »
I'd bring my father back from the dead to do a New England clambake.  We'd cook the lobsters, steamers, corn etc. in the bunkers on the 18th and serve them on the green.  Lethal martinis for cocktails and then chilled bottles of Ballantine Ale with the dinner.  Shorts, tee shirts and topsiders with no socks required.

Yeah, I know that raising the dead would be difficult, but it would probably be easier than winning the Masters........... :'(

james soper

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
stone crabs w/ mustard sauce from joe's stone crab,
creamed garlic spinach,
lyonnaise potatoes
fried green tomaotes
key lime pie
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 11:48:51 AM by james soper »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
I think they should add this event to the next ASGCA summer conference.  Isn't this about what a rater and ranking thread turns into?

Scott Stearns

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »
i know this is really a food discussion thread, but does  anyone agree with me that its rude for a Masters champion to bypass the club's chef and kitchen staff and bring in his own caterer?

I know champ pays for the dinner, but I still think this is impolite to the club's people, and akin to bringing your own food to a dinner party.

Some might say the champ is the "host", but how can anyone not wiew the club as the real host--its their room and their tournament

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2005, 12:55:31 PM »
POUTINE....and a Pepsi (Quebec's unique fast food)

More seriously:

Green salad, balsamic sauce

Grilled Salmon over a spinach pasta plate with citrus and oregano sauce

Nice white wine allong with it (I'd give a lot to Tiger... to rule him off for the week...)

Chocolate cake

Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Havent had time to read through all the other pages yet, just got this far on the first page, so I apologize if someone else already said this.

But PEPSI in GA????   Are you kidding me, that is sacrilege here at the home of Coca Cola?

Tsk-Tsk!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2005, 01:02:59 PM »
Oh yeah and while I am in this thread, I guess being the good South Dakota boy now living in South Carolina it would have to be a combination "South" meal.

Ma Boe's world famous Pheasant dish (SD Pheasant personally shot on the Boe farm.
Served over local wild rice.

Sweet Tea (the Tea at my club is the best so I would have it brought in from there)

Watermellon (even though I dont like watermellon My good friend's uncle is the world famous Levo Larson "The Watermellon King" if you have ever driven down Hwy 37 in South Dakota)

That would complete my "South" themed meal.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back