News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Tom Doak's 31 Flavors
« on: December 03, 2005, 05:24:43 PM »
What are they?  I don't own the book, and I don't plan to spend $300 on it, but I would love to know the courses that are on this list. Thanks.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tyler Kearns

Re:Tom Doak's 31 Flavors
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 06:00:52 PM »
The Addington
Ballybunion
Casa de Campo
Commonwealth
The Creek
Crystal Downs
Desert Highlands
Durban
Forest Highlands
Garden City
Kawana
Lancaster
Merion
The National Golf Links of America
North Berwick
Pinehurst No. 2
Pine Valley
Prairie Dunes
Riviera
Royal Dornoch
Rye
St. Andrews
St. Enodoc
St. George's
St. George's Hill
Sand Hills
San Francisco
Shadow Creek
Stonewall
Westward Ho!
Woodhall Spa

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »
JNC - I think Mr. Doak has copies for sale for  a LOT less than $300, if you're interested
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 12:00:37 AM »
It that right Tom? Can we buy copies from you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 12:03:16 AM »
Garland:  There are some copies of the third edition available, with conditions attached.  [I don't want to see them resold for profit.]  E-mail me separately for details.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 12:19:15 PM »
Tom:

It would be interesting to hear what courses you would add or subtract today in revising your 31 flavors. Would you be kind enough to share that with us?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_Roths

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 12:23:15 PM »
Tom- Any chance in hell you would do a Doak 100?  A lot of people on this site value your opinion and would like to know where to focus their travels on.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 12:34:05 PM »
Steve,

Each of the 31 is done by a different architect, which is the key to his list.  100 might be not be possible...

Steve_Roths

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 12:52:27 PM »
No, I didn't mean a 100 architect list, I meant a Doak World 100 list.  Sorry for the confusion.  

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 01:22:18 PM »
Steve

Tom may say buy his book if you want to know!  He must have at least 100 courses which get a rating of 7 or better listed.  I spose there are many new courses he would add, but you probably know most of them by now.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Steve_Roths

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 01:52:04 PM »
I have the book and I did think about that route as well, just curious what new courses he would include and where he put them in descending order.  

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 03:13:32 PM »
Another list. great idea.  :P

Dan King

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 04:38:32 PM »
Steve_Roths writes:
I have the book and I did think about that route as well, just curious what new courses he would include and where he put them in descending order.

Tom does a good job putting them in alphabetical order. I have a couple different versions of the book, and I don't believe he has ever screwed up the order. Did you mean you want them in descending alphabetical order? A bit bizarre, but I guess it makes more sense than some sort of competition between great courses.

Tom Doak writes:
Garland:  There are some copies of the third edition available, with conditions attached.  

Is that the self-published Volume III or the third edition of the Sleeping Bear book?

Dan King
I didn't dare choose a big, round number like 50 or 100 for two reasons: first, because I would never have finish the book that way, and second, because I didn't want anybody to mistake this list for my selection of the world's "best" courses. I do that list for GOLF Magazine, and while I don't agree 100 per cent [or even 85 per cent] with the consensus list which is published, you better believe that Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne, and Shinnecock Hills would be on my list of "greatest" courses. But there not in this chapter, primarily because I don't have much of anything to say about them which you haven't already heard.
 --Tom Doak (in his introduction to "The Gourmet's Choice" in the Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, Volume III)

Chris Burgard

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 02:13:49 PM »
I received my copy of the Confidential Guide earlier this year and really enjoy it. It has been instrumental in helping plan a trip to Scotland in 2007.

What I would appreciate more than anything is Tom's input on which courses he has reconsidered over the years.

I know from another thread that he feels that he underrated Gullanes 2 and 3 and would love to know which ratings he feels are most off the mark both high and low.

Chris

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »
I'd like to see his opinion of the top new courses built since 1997.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:22:08 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Franklin

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »
I would imagine that Tom has been quite busy since 1997 and unable to see a lot of the newer courses, but I would still enjoy his update of what he has seen.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back