News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryn_Soldan

My Golf Magazine Entry
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:23:52 PM »
Now that George has broken the ice and posted his entry I guess the rest of us
can come out of the woodwork.  Here's mine.  Comments are welcome.

-Daryn

Mike Benham

Re:My Golf Magazine Entry
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »
The oblique view is very enticing.  

The ball flight options (draw or fade) seem to be variable on the tee and approach shots.  A drive down the right would seem to require a fade if going for the gree.

Nicely done.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:22:47 AM »
Daryn,
Like Mike, I really like the oblique view.
The center bunker is cool as is the skyline green.
The supt in me would be concerned about drainage in the approach. Looks like your draining a lot of area directly in front of the green.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 02:02:38 AM »
Daryn

I really like the use of 'modern technology' (ie hand-drawn).  It's amazing what a hand-drawn sketch can convey.

I also found the oblique view to be most intriguing and engaging.

Don Mahaffey

from your experience, would the drainage still be an issue if the area to the left of the green was lower, ie the natural fall of the land was from right to left?  I assume your concern is about the area (square yardage) that will drain into this area.  Could surface drainage suffice?  Of course, I'm thinking of this from my home climate perspective, and the answer would be different in a heavier rainfall area.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »
Hi Daryn -

I don't know how I missed this before, I've been hoping someone else would post an entry.

Easy things first - I really like your drawing style, it's a million times more appealing than my computer rendition. I didn't feel confident enough of my own hand to draw mine. As with Don, I especially like the oblique view - very cool, has a linksy look to it.

I also really like the somewhat crown-like nature of your green. In the past, I've commented on how much I like this, as I feel it's very challenging for the better golfer and very playable for the lesser golfers like me. I'm also a huge fan of skyline green, so I love that as well.

I really like your entry. I hope more people see it and comment on it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 06:04:04 PM »
Daryn

I really like this hole.  The green is quite clever in that there looks to be three Sunday pin placements.  The middle placement doesn't look easy either.  With a false front, fallaways on either side and downwind, this is quite a clever approaching hole.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:39:44 AM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the comments reguarding my little golf hole.  I'm glad that some of the ideas I was trying to convey, especially regarding the green, are making sense.

George & Sean - You hit the nail on the head in terms of what I was trying to do with the green. It's supposed to be playable for all (a putter could be used as opposed to chipping from about any direction) but very frustrating for the golfer who expects to get a birdie out of every reachable par 5. I envision it being not all that difficult to get down in 3 from around the green if a conservative chip or putt is played to the center of the green.  However, a hole location on the left, back, or front right would require a deft touch (with a putter, bump and run, or a lob) to get close.  

The green would also be difficult to hit with a long second or third unless a running shot uses the slope from the right or a fade is hit working back into the sope from the left. Approaches would also need to take into account the hole location when determining where to miss. That is assuming any of us have any clue where our misses are going anyway! A front right hole location would actually be best missed on the short side because of the orientation of the green and where the falloffs are located.  There is flat space short of and behind that hole location along the line of play when approached from right of the green. I like that feature because it goes agianst common wisdom and can catch the player bailing out to the "fat" side of the hole without thinking. The same is true of a front left hole location where it would be a very difficult chip across the false front from short-right of the green but reletively straight forward up the hill from the swale to the left.

Don - I agree that the area in front of the green could be a problem drainage wise. I think a hole like this would have to take advantage of an overall slope away from the green to the left as James mentioned. That area would detract from the hole if it was wet by eliminating the run-up option and also creating poor turf quality in an area that would get lots of play.  It was my vision that water draining into the area short of the green would flow on to the left away from the green. Maybe a more pronounced slope as opposed to a broad swale would move water away further and faster.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone,

Daryn

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 12:54:33 PM »
Bumping so more people see it.

Nice job, Daryn. If you beat out my entry, you will earn my undying respect, plus maybe a 2 x 4 upside the head. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back