News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Colonia (Bendelow) in NJ
« on: October 09, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »
This course has an interesting lineage., nine holes each by
Tom Bendelow  and  Robert White.Is anyone familiar with it ?

thanks

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Colonia (Bendelow) in NJ
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 04:43:48 PM »
Mark,

It's on a tight parcel of land and requires crossing a road several times.  There's a general north to south slope to the land and I'd describe it as playing tight.  The greens are relatively small and well guarded.  Like many early suburban courses, length isn't one of its components

It's a sporty layout with some interesting holes.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:51:27 PM »
Pat-

Do you know if Hwy 27 affected the course any?  I have some acquaintances who play there and they have talked about the routing being a little quirky-is there truth to this?  

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:53:25 PM »
Doug,

Not that I'm familiar with.

With the railroad tracks adjacent to RT 27, I would tend to think that they were always there and that the course was always to the north of them.

The routing is quirky, but, like the Charles River club, I think the roadway that cuts through the course and the configuration of the parcel of land account for that.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the history of the club can enlighten us.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:18:21 AM »
I played there a couple of times this year....
 you really dont need a driver on this course, one reason I do really enjoy it. I would say you need to hit driver on maybe 4 holes? it is a very tight couse, decent layout and always in good condition. Course is very short, but tough! the greens are very well protected and they have some brutal greens at that. For people that want all the trees chopped down on courses, this is simply not the course for you. I think the tress make this course great, and shotmaking comes into play here big time.
 It is surrounded by much better courses, plainfield and those being right there, but this is one fun course that can realyl eat you up! great great example of how a short course should play. par 3's are great! par 4's are very short, but your tee shots have to be there and your approach shots BETTER be on the correct side of the greens! par 5's are nothing special but really are nice within 100 yards of the green. I would play this course if you never have, and also would venture you could pic a couple of holes there that make amazing short par 4's for conversation. their is a website that shows each hole, but sadly the pictures dont do it justice at all. you cant see the contours of the fairways and especially the greens at all in the pictures. http://www.coloniacc.net/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:02:53 AM »
I just picked up a NJ State Golf magazine and saw this article:

www.njstategolf.com/PGM/njsg/njsg_2005/Oct_05/14.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back