News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Re:The Tightest Fairways I've Ever Seen
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2005, 06:29:17 PM »
Chris,
  I never said that we had a 1/2 inch of thatch....I stated that it wasn't a bad thing to have a bit of thatch. It's a good thing that your Workman 2100 didn't have a laptab cause then you REALLY would have never got off your cart!!  ;D..by the way, my boss is great and well respected.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:36:06 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Ward

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2005, 02:46:29 PM »
Tom D:

I read your post prior to my actual visit to Pronghorn and I have to say I concur 110% with what you said.

The tightness of the fairways at Pronghorn -- in addition -- to the rich and utter detail in terms of overall course grooming -- not just texture but playing characteristics -- is something that is truly amazing.

Frankly, I could not discern where the fairways end and the greens begin!!!

Pronghorn is one of the best overall conditioned courses I have ever seen -- kudos to the superintendent there and his hard working staff -- they have provided for their membership something that is truly a work of art and hard labor.

astavrides

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 08:29:23 PM »
valderamma had the tightest cut fairways ive played, yet they werent firm.  the old course probably had the second tightest cut, and they of course are firm.

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2005, 08:46:26 PM »
Tony: Sorry man, but I've done 3 grow-ins now and in my limited experience, I would have say that you are wrong. The greens will be rock hard the first year, USGA, California, modified USGA or pushup, it doesn't matter. They will soften over time. Don't listen to Trey too much.

A Spartan in Gatorland

Steve

« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 08:47:06 PM by S. Huffstutler »

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2005, 09:10:50 PM »
Here's what you said Tony. My comment remains

Regards

Steve

Actually, USGA greens are designed to drain quickly-so the can be firm in a quicker period of time. Greens are usually their softest in their earliest years because the soil/sand doesn't really have any sort of compaction or organic matter...

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »
Steve,
  It's not worth it. I'm happy for you and your 3 grow ins

Tony
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2005, 09:36:25 PM »
Tony, You're right, it's pretty rediculous, but I was sincere when I said I had limited experience. You needn't be nasty.

Regards

Steve

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2005, 09:50:07 PM »
Steve,
  I have no intention of being nasty. I've put my input into this topic, though I think that people have misread what I've wrote. I've stated with proper cultural practices, older greens are just as good, if not better than new greens. Most new greens that I've been exposed to have been soft, and I think that is a direct reflection on a course opening up too soon to gain revenue...I would doubt a high end private course would have soft greens for it's members...these ar the courses that are usually allowed to "sit" and mature to allow the conditions to be very good for their opening. Oh, and to just clarify, I thik ultradwarfs are a differnt story-Steve, what do you have on your greens in Naples?

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

TEPaul

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2005, 08:37:48 AM »
Pat Mucci said;

"Perhaps you're viewing the issue in a different aspect.
It's been my limited experience that new greens "play" hard for the first few years.
With approach shots, balls bounce hard, high and long for 2-3 years and gradually reach their normal ability to be receptive after that initial, interim period."

Patrick:

That's been my experience with new courses too. The ones I remember best that way were Stone Harbor in New Jersey and Pete's course out to the west of North Palm Beach (the name escapes me at the moment).

Stone Harbor was so rock hard in the first few years it was hard to keep a ball on it and Pete's course in Florida was too even though chips and pitches and stuff had a real low sort of dead bounce to them (a whole lot of sand base in the greens I expect).

Not to sound critical in any way, because I sure am not trying to be but it really is interesting to see a bunch of supers on here disagree so dramatically on the same subjects!  ;)

It makes one wonder how much supers get into the finer points of playability.  ;)

I think this type of thing is a super fascinating subject and I love to see these dialogues on these threads between superintendents. It's so interesting. Unfortunately, it does remind and inform us laymen that if supers can't or don't agree on these things how in the holy hell are us laymen ever going to?  ;)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »
Tom,
  Are you thinking of Pete's Old Marsh?
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back