News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

Braid Hills - the Scottish Painswick?
« on: June 27, 2005, 06:16:30 AM »
Just played my first round at Braid Hills No. 1 yesterday, which is about four miles south of Edinburgh city center - I can't believe a recent search on GCA for "Braid Hills" produced no citations, because this course reminds me like no other I've ever seen of Painswick. It's probably 90% as quirky as Painswick, while being at least 120% the golf course Painswick is: 5,700 yards in total from the tips; a handful of driveable but risky par 4s; some unique multilevel fairways (including a wonderful divided fairway on the par 4 14th) with quirk galore; some marvellous greens and green complexes; a few blind and semi-blind shots; panoramic views of the countryside and indeed the center of Edinburgh (great views of the castle and other historic buildings, plus you can see out as far as North Berwick Law to the east, across to Fife in the north, and quite a ways to the west and south as well). There are some quite bland holes at the far edge of the property (holes 5, 6, 11 and 12), although I sense that these might not be part of the original Braid design - I don't know the full history, but I gather that there used to be 36 holes on the property which have since been amalgamated into the main course and a 10-hole No. 2 course, and the routing of the current No. 1 course is awkward enough to make me think that it must not have originally existed in its present state.

In any event, at £20 for a weekend round - only £13 for those of us with an Edinburgh leisure discount card - and even less midweek, Braid Hills seems like top value-for-money. It was even in quite good condition for a municipal course (definitely better than what I saw at Painswick last spring). Has anyone else here played both Braid Hills and Painswick and would be able to validate my comparison of the two? Really, I can't imagine that anyone who likes Painswick wouldn't like Braid Hills, which is to say that it's very much worth a stop for most GCA devotees during their next trip to Scotland. Next time I'm out there, I'll definitely have to bring my digital camera...

Cheers,
Darren

Jonathan Davison

Re:Braid Hills - the Scottish Painswick?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:27:03 AM »
A bunch of golf course architect students played the course last year and had a wonderful time. As you say it has a mixed bag of holes the last two especially ring a bell for me - quirky to say the least.
I have never played Painswick so I cannot compare but I am sure Braid 1 will be enjoyed by anyone who plays it.
Another course which looks like Painswick is Windermere in the Lake District - pure fun.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 08:57:26 AM »
Darren,
I played Braid Hills last fall-fun with quite a bit of quirk.
Fantastic views-reminded me a bit of Presidio
Loved all of it except parts of the holes you mentioned-that may be the most artificially newly overtreed area anywhere-
Either they're there for safety reasons or to be sold off later-they are horrible and tightly bunched(you actually get a free drop if you're within a clublength of a tree which brings you to the fairway as the trees are 6-12 inches apart!)
-I think parts of those holes could be original,it's just the trees make them look new and well-awful
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 04:17:14 PM »
Darren,
Brother Goodale burst the bubble of my long-held Braid HillsbyBraid theory on here last year. Appears the tall moustachioed one never ventured up those rocky crags. I believe we decided it was probably one/two/many of the Musselburry Park clan wot did it...However, still a magnificently fun golf course to spend time on.
The lost 8 or 9 holes are up and over the hill immediately to the south of the clubhouse. I walked it a year or two ago after I last played #1. Most of the holes were still there but were being systematically cannibalised of their turf.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:29:27 AM »
Played it in 1986, haven't been back since.
Too hilly - in So. Cal. carts would be mandatory for fear of slow play.

johnk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 12:59:51 AM »
The GCA search engine is not exactly google.  I've mentioned Braid Hills several times.  I always encourage Edinburgh visitors (e.g. friends of mine on business) to get out there the night they arrive.

Besides, Braid Hills #2 is the more Painswickean of the two...  more blindness, more quirk.  Crazy uphill tee shot on the first...  Random hikers on every other fairway.  All of perhaps 4300 yards..

And the views!

On the weekdays it's probably 8 pounds... if you go out at 7 at nite, it might be free :)

Edit - reading your post more carefully, it sounds as if BH#2 has been emasculated recently - since when I played it, it was 18 holes...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:02:18 AM by John Krystynak »

Steve Okula

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:59:06 AM »
Darren,

I was one of the students who played Braid Hills last year and I agree with your assessment. I haven't seen Painswick, so I can't compare.

BH was superb value for money and I recommend it to anyone. There were a number of holes with fun, optional routes off the tees, though I can't remeber specific hole numbers now. It was in surprisingly good condition, and every one of the dozen or so students who played it that day had nothing but positives to say for it, regardless of who designed it.  
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

James Edwards

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 07:06:54 AM »
Yes, like Steve, I was one of the guys out that day, and I personally only have positives to say about the golf course.

Yes, there are newer holes which are a little alien to the overall mood of the course, but they come early enough in the round to be ignored and do not distract from what is IMHO, a fine test of golf with a fun element attached, so everyone can enjoy.

Quirky Golf? - Oh Yes, but what a nice change from the 7100 hit it straight and hit it straight again types which are popping up everywhere.
@EDI__ADI

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 04:16:39 PM »
Tony Muldoon (who I guess if of lower than average webIQ as he hasn't yet mastered this whole posting thing) sent me this as a present for y'all...

Lovely, Tony. As I remember it sometime around April...this looks like the 18th viewed from right of the 1st fairway. Play comes in from a Blind tee shot on the right.

FBD.

PS and once again the lovely 'Paps o' Fife' appear in a photo on GCA....over there, behind Edinburgh Castle.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Sneddon

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 07:54:06 PM »
Tony Muldoon (who I guess if of lower than average webIQ as he hasn't yet mastered this whole posting thing) sent me this as a present for y'all...

Tony is probably still recovering from pneumonia after sitting on that hill for 12 days waiting for the rain to stop and the sky to clear, to take that photograph.
 ;D ;D
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:44:51 AM »
It's a great many years since last I played Dollar, but I remember it as having oodles of quirk in the Painswick/Braid Hills manner.  Is my memory glamourising it?

David Sneddon

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
It's a great many years since last I played Dollar, but I remember it as having oodles of quirk in the Painswick/Braid Hills manner.  Is my memory glamourising it?

It has been well over 35 years since I played it, but I remember it as a bit "quirky".  I think most of the courses hard by the foot of the Ochil Hills; Dollar, Muckart etc tend to have a certain quirkiness to them.  

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back