News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Scotland Ass Pics
« on: May 13, 2005, 03:52:25 PM »
John Krystanak enjoying this year's trip tae Bonnie Scotland...

On the Tee at Balbirnie's #2 Hole...

In (and neatly out of) the Sand at #10..

Shootin' at the Flag on #18...

Enjoy, John!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

johnk

Re:Scotland Ass Pics
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 06:04:09 PM »
Thanks Martin!  That was a fun day.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 06:36:40 PM »
Seeing the gent in the light blue sweater way down the fairway in pic #1 makes me wonder if you were playing a foursome match.  ??

FBD, where is Balbirnie?  Will it be accessible for play during the Open in July?

Regards,
Bill McBride

johnk

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:21:57 PM »
Bill,

If you wish to be invited to play Balbirnie in July, you may want to be careful about calling Martin's wife a gent...  :)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 04:54:05 AM »
Seeing the gent in the light blue sweater way down the fairway in pic #1 makes me wonder if you were playing a foursome match.  ??

FBD, where is Balbirnie?  Will it be accessible for play during the Open in July?

Regards,
Bill McBride

Bill,
It wasn't a match - just a friendly bounce game. Although funnily enough it is ALWAYS Nancy who wants to play for money. (Typical Fife lassie!)

It'd be a real pleasure hosting you at Balbirnie while you're here. Let me know your dates and what you've already got booked and we'll sort something out. The course is about 25 miles or so from St A - right in the middle of Fife.

http://www.balbirniegolf.com/

FBD.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 05:35:03 AM »
Martin,

Does John still try to run around the course at a hundred miles per hour.  The first time I played with him was at Dornoch together with Ronan.  We thought we had bumped into a Tasmanian Devil the guy played soooo fast.

I hope he slowed down enough to enjoy the course.

Martin, is that you with a trolley and Nancy carrying?!

Good to see you enjoying yourself in Scotland again John.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 05:36:09 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
FBD, all apologies to Nancy... I've scheduled an appt to have my eyes checked!  And promised myself to examine photos more closely before shooting off my mouth!  :o :o

I'll check back with you later about getting together during the Open. I will be with my wife, Kathleen, and another couple. We're playing that Thursday at Crail, nothing planned except walking the Old Course Friday-Sunday.  I'm sure your club would be quite busy the early mornings of Saturday and Sunday.  I'll talk to you later on this.   Thanks!

And John K, I'm envious of your trip to Scotland, send me a report!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:31:44 AM by Bill_McBride »

johnk

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »
Bill, see this thread for some pix I took and a few comments:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=18100

Even at $2 per pound, there are bargains to be found.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 01:49:41 PM »
Dear Marty, I had always fancied a home and home exchange with you, the bonnie balding Scot.  But, I thought I'd have to road trip you 900miles to my other home course at Wild Horse to give you a flavor of what I always assumed was your homestyle type course.  I figured you for a member of one of the hidden gem, all links courses built hard by the sea that we seldom hear about, unless it is a Paul Turner photo expo.  Then when you come here, I'd treat you to a parkland typical northern treed and hill and dale sort of design that you wouldn't get back home.

Yikes!  Now I come to find out your already belong to a course that looks like it is sited in northern Wisconsin!  Next you'll be telling me that cheese and dairy products are a regional specialty! ::) :o ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 09:02:18 AM »
Martin,

Does John still try to run around the course at a hundred miles per hour.

Martin, is that you with a trolley and Nancy carrying?!

Brian

Brian
Luckily John had driven about 200 miles that morning so was in a fine mellow mood. We had a great day!

I was behind the camera. The trolley-puller is my big mate, Stevie Williamson, who allegedly has a 'bad back' (ahem!) from too many years rucking and mauling his way around muddy fields in pursuit of a wrongly-shaped ball.

Next you'll be telling me that cheese and dairy products are a regional specialty! ::) :o ;D

Uncle Dicky,
only if they're deep-fried!

Re the parkland thing: Funnily enough, I've played with a few USAers around Balbirnie (usually some work-related things...) and without fail they usually say something along the lines of "this Course reminds me so much of a course back in (insert name of choice of midwestern State here), I can't believe I'm in Scotland."

Heretical GCA comment du jour: I am one of those who happens to believe Garden Smith was talking out of his rectum re Links vs. Parkland golf. I think it's great that we can have such diversity in our tiny wee island nation...

FBD.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »
Marty, I'm afraid I don't get the reference to Garden Smith.  I haven't read anything by him.  Sorry.  

The only Garten I could come up with is Boat of Garten on the Whiskey trail.  It seems that there are a good number of your highland-parkland courses about the countryside of which I plead complete ignorance. As to the descriptions of the diversity of the single malt whiskey found along the golf-whiskey trail, I also plead ignorance.  But as described, there seems to be a whole wide lot of them to sample. ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back