News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Earl

Ealing Golf Club?
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:28 AM »
The next event to be held by company's golf society is at Ealing Golf Club. The website states:

'Originally designed by Harry Varden (sic) and later by Harry Colt, one of the greatest of all Golf Architects, Ealing is a challenging Par 70, 6144 yards Course and has produced Players to the highest standard in Amateur Golf.  Nevertheless, it is not physically demanding and competitors of all levels and age can enjoy a comfortable round.'

(Interestingly, another section on their website says that James Braid did the original design).

On the face of it, it sounds like my sort of place.

A simple question for those that may have played there, is it worth spending £60 of my hard-earned cash and 2 hours on the M25 to go and play?

Thanks
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Ealing Golf Club?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
I should say spend the money elsewhere. It's a very compact course, occupying a minute acreage. It runs, therefore through many avenues of trees. There is also little variation in level, with a number of stream crossings being the greatest excitement. It's a good enough test of golf, but if you are after a GCA experience pay your money at Royal Ashdown or Berkhamsted (to name two bunkerless courses for no particular reason). You are also constantly aware of the traffic on the A40 just beyond the boundary fence.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »
I would always defer to Mark in these matters but perhaps I liked it a little more than he did.  If the average course is a Doak 3,  this is a 4.   Theres a setion that starts near the A 40 at the furthest point from the clubhouse, which includes a big Par 4, that is memorable; but overall it just depends how much you like playing in that society.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
Jon

Yes I remember it's probably not worth 60 quid.   It does have some charm with the stream and a few big sand faced bunkers in the old style.

There are a few unknown courses of some quality close to London, like Crew's Hill and Hendon,  not great courses but well above average.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jon Earl

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:09:58 AM »
Gentlemen

Many thanks for your input. I think I may give it a miss this time.

Our client golf day is in a couple of weeks at Moor Park. Previous posts on Moor Park seem to be quite positive so I am looking forward to playing there.

Cheers
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »
I love Moor Park, particularly the High Course. It's full of grand gestures. It feels a thoroughly big course. Some of the original bunkering has gone - there were photos of it in FW Hawtree's book The Golf Course showing before and after shots of the altered bunkers at the 12th. It's unusual in ending on a short hole, but it is quite a fun hole. Enjoy yourself - and report back on what you find, please!

Jon Earl

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
Mark

I hope to take some pictures but the event is semi-serious. Along with all the normal stuff (nearest the pin, longest drive) the winning team gets to attend the firm's 'Invitational International Championship' at Pinehurst in October. The format is a 'step aside scramble' so at least we should be playing our shots from some good positions. This was give me a perspective of the course I wouldn't normally have. ;D

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Jon,

The clubhouse was originally built as a mansion for the Duke of Monmouth but he didn't have long there to enjoy it. He was executed for leading a revolution. Keep your head still!

Mark.

Jon Earl

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »
That is exactly what my teaching pro keeps telling me.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »
Jon

The new bunker rebuilds look pretty bad at Moor Park, it'll be interesting to know what you think.  If you have time, try and play the West...it's much shorter but I think it has many of the best holes of the 36 and no dull ones (The High has a 2 or 3 less interesting holes).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back