News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Apparently the R&A has put new tees in at St. Andrews on at least five holes--2, 4, 12, 13, 14 (which will be 616 yards) for the 2005 Open.

But where are the new tees on #2 and #12? Each will apparently be 35 yards longer than in 2000.

Did they go between #1 and #17 for the new 2nd tee, or go the other way behind the Himalayas putting green?

Is the new 12th tee now directly behind the 11th green? Will this affect the visuals on the 11th tee shot?

Will these be good changes?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:TOC - Where are the new tees at #2 and #12 for the 2005 Open?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:35:38 PM »
Chris,

The same questions popped into my mind when I heard this news the other day.

I understand the new tee at the 2nd is actually "part of" the Himalayas (?!).
jeffmingay.com

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:58:12 PM »
The Old Course must be the most disjointed course for the pros. Wasn't the seamless flow from one hole to the next part of its appeal?

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »
I believe that the new back tee for #12 is going to be located in what used to be the left rough of the great 8th hole on the New Course.  I saw it being built there last year.

As I remember, it is located down and behind the row of whins that (used to) separate tghe two courses, so it will be a blind tee shot, in the character of 2-6.

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:42:23 PM »
Good, a blind tee shot to a fairway with blind bunkers. Maybe the tee will be low enough to block steeples and other aim points from view.  

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »
Yes, Peter, and if I'm right, I don't think you'll be seeing anybody getting anywhere near to the green from their tee shots, alas..... :'(

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 06:56:34 PM »
Rich, #8 new course. I am lost how the 12th Tee can get there. Please help me.

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 07:07:08 PM »
John

The 8th New runs parallel to the 12th Old (in different directions).  Only separated by a row of gorse.  The tee I saw was about 100 yards short of the 8th green, in the left rough.

PS--I'm pretty sure I posted this before and got confirmation from somebody else on this forum.

EDIT--OOPS!!!! :-[

The tee is for #9 on TOC.  As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind!"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:10:11 PM by Rich Goodale »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 08:52:17 PM »
Now I feel better. nine tee makes sense. thanks Rich

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 08:26:06 AM »
Here's another interesting change - tweaking a bunker to make it less visible.

By Mark Garrod, PA Sport Golf Correspondent
All will not be what it appears when golf’s greatest players stand on one particular tee during the Open championship at St Andrews in July.
In rebuilding 94 of the 112 bunkers on the Old Course it was decided to hide one more of them from view.
The face of the trap guarding the green at the driveable par four 12th has been lowered eight inches and the area above it turfed over so that, like others on the hole, it becomes invisible from the tee.
Head greenkeeper Euan Grant said: “Like the Road Bunker (on the 17th), which has been extended by three feet, this was a matter agreed between the Links Trust Green Sub-Committee and the Royal and Ancient Club.
“They wanted us to play with the golfer’s mind. He will know there is plenty of trouble down there on the fairway, but he won’t be sure exactly where it is.”
The rebuilding work was completed in mid-December, two weeks ahead of schedule, with over 12,000 square metres of turf being used in the project.
Wind and erosion subjected all the bunkers to some change over time and the key task was to make sure they continue to gather the ball. Contouring work has been done in the vicinity of some bunkers to ensure they keep playing in the traditional way.
Tiger Woods did not visit a single trap in winning at the course in 2000 but there are several new tees for this year’s event.
The bunkers will be out of play until April, when one crucial ingredient will be added - sand.

Media reports say the new second tee is indeed on a 'little-used section' of the Himalayas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 08:36:18 AM by Andy Levett »

Eddie Adams

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »
The 2nd tee is some 35 yards back from the present one, on the himalayas putting green and set at the same height as the tee in front, but positioned tighter to the right of the hole.  Cheapes is 290 yards and the landing area is blind. Will tell you about the 12th later.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »
Today's 'Scotsman' (1/13/05) has an article on the changes at TOC:

http://sport.scotsman.com/golf.cfm?id=42622005

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 02:03:36 PM »
Could one of you clever artists post an aerial of the 12th and its surroundings so that I can visualise where the new tee is to be located?  I still can't work out where it is.

As luck would have it my dear friend George McPhee (Organist of Paisley Abbey) and a member of Royal Troon has arranged for us to give a song recital together in St Salvator's on 21st July which just happens to be the first day of the Open.  What a coincidence!  Any suggestions for appropriate repertoire?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 03:24:58 PM »
Mark,
Looks to me like they're talking about placing the new tee almost directly behind the 11th green (bottom left of pic)...

..is it my imagination or can you see a newish-looking bit of flat ground there too? If it is there, I assume they've lowered some of the ground on the playing line in front of the Tee.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

peter_p

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 05:36:57 PM »
Martin,
That looks like the only place they can put a tee to add length. At the 2000 Open that area was bleachers.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 06:07:44 PM »
What particular world does this R&A guy live in.  

to paraphrase his argument: "We don't need to lengthen the course to cater for the pros but we're lengthening the course to bring some hazards back into play because the pros now hit the bloody thing so far."

Could this be perhaps the result of years, possibly decades, of ineptitude by those that are supposed to be the guardians of the game and by virtue of this its courses.

Sorry to go a bit OT.

Eddie Adams

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 02:47:53 PM »
Martins excellant picture does show the new tee(bottom left of picture).
  It is 1ft higher than the current tee and no ground infront of it was altered.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks a lot Martin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back