News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Is there a so-called "blow-up" hole.....
« on: September 18, 2004, 09:14:42 AM »
that survived completely intact to go on to become respected and famous?

Mike Sweeney said the 18th at MPCC Shore was a "blow-up" hole, so I was just wondering. And also, at my course we redid a green in the last two years that was sort of an inspiration of me and Gil Hanse and it seemed to be a delight with some members but this year more and more are beginning to complain about it and the other day one member asked me if and when we could "blow-up" the entire green.

That sort of took me by surprise and I told him "NEVER" after some momentary thought. But I'm beginning to wonder about that and I'm beginning to think perhaps we should at least take 2-3 rather large cherry bombs to just one section of it!   ;)

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Is there a so-called "blow-up" hole.....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:25:54 AM »

Mike Sweeney said the 18th at MPCC Shore was a "blow-up" hole, so I was just wondering.  ;)

Tom,

You must read my post as carefully as Matt Ward !! I said, "As a result of the above, a couple of holes have some questionable stuff in terms of playability. There is one hole at TR that is a blow up hole (16?) IMHO. At MPCC, it seemed contained to the 18th hole, and without playing it I really am not sure."

Thus BLOW UP the one hole, I think it was 16 at Tobacco Road (short 4, blind tee shot, then short blind uphill 90 degree shot). I think I actually like the 18th at MPCC Shore, Bob H was not so sure.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 10:48:44 AM »
MikeS:

The 16th at TR, the 18th at MPCC Shore or some other hole somewhere else---it doesn't really matter to me. I was only trying to use some example somewhere to ask the question if a hole that many considered a "blowup" hole ever went on intact to become famous and respected. I don't mean any disrespect to Strantz or TR or MPCC Shore---as far as I'm concerned any hole anywhere that was truly perceived as a "blowup" hole initially will do.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 11:08:03 AM »
Maybe 14 at Pebble?

But it must be almost impossible to answer, since how do we know what many may have thought about a particualar hole? Or, should we care what they thought?

Who was strong enough to go against the opinions of many? And in the end, be right?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 11:23:11 AM by Adam Clayman »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »
Tom,

It all leads back to The Jaws Hole @ Stone Harbor, RIP.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:44:13 AM »
MikeS:

That's funny you posted the "Jaws" Hole at Stone Harbor. I know how you feel about that course and its architecture. I just played Stone Harbor about 10 days ago and I was thinking of you. But you know me---I think that course was so radical when it opened----which made it so different I actually think it should be completely restored!! :)

And if it was I'd recommend the "Jaws" hole be the first to be restored. Just before I teed off the pro arrived at the first tee and asked me if I was the guy who'd written some architectural articles for the Philadelphia Golfer magazine so I told him; "That's true, you caught the right guy!"

He said the course's reputation despite massive softening is still reeling from the terrible things Tom Doak wrote about the course and would I consider writing about it now and how much better it's become? So I told him I'd consider that but then I started thinking how in the world am I going to write something laudatory about Stone Harbor without having a guy like Mike Sweeney howl so loud they could all hear him all the way from NYC?

Would you care to sit down with me, MikeS, and figure out how we could get together and write something laudatory about Stone Harbor?   ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:00:07 PM »
MikeS:

I'll tell you what. Just for starters, enlarge that photo of the original "Jaws" hole on your computer, go get a pillow, throw it on the floor, put the top of your head on the pillow and do a head stand and contemplate that "Jaws" hole on your computer for about 30 minutes and then get back to me and tell me what you see. Do not try to sit in front of your computer and turn the photo of the hole upside down---that will not work at all!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 03:37:55 PM »
MikeS:

I'll tell you what. Just for starters, enlarge that photo of the original "Jaws" hole on your computer, go get a pillow, throw it on the floor, put the top of your head on the pillow and do a head stand and contemplate that "Jaws" hole on your computer for about 30 minutes and then get back to me and tell me what you see. Do not try to sit in front of your computer and turn the photo of the hole upside down---that will not work at all!

Tom,

My wife is in California this weekend. Is this considered cheating !!

I always say there is a little (okay alot) of Huckaby in me and there was a period when Stone Harbor was my favorite course at The Shore, and it is clearly better than the old Stone Harbor/Jersey Devil. There are some good holes there seriously.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 05:21:17 PM »
"I always say there is a little (okay alot) of Huckaby in me and there was a period when Stone Harbor was my favorite course at The Shore,..."

Whoa! I got you now! I've got you on the run now and it won't be long before you and I can figure out some way to say it's your favorite course at the shore again and write an article to that effect!!  :) Maybe we should just say "shore" and if anyone ever asks us what we meant by that we could just say we meant "Avalon".   ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 05:22:06 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 07:58:18 PM »
Tom.

This one you will like. I used to be the cart kid at Avalon GC for one summer. Well they figured out pretty early that I was just a golf scammmer lookin for free rounds, and they fired my butt. :o

The next summer (subsequent 5 summers) I worked as a mate on a charter fishing boat in Avalon. However my boss was a member at Merion and Atlantic City CC and the architecture journey began !!  ;) :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back