News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Billsteele

The following article appeared in the August 14 edition of the Canton Repository. Perhaps Dan Belden can give us an update and more insight on how the renovation has worked out. In my younger and less enlightened days, I grew up in the Canton area. I never had any understanding of the significance of Brookside (or, for that matter, Congress Lake-another Ross design in nearby Hartville). While I have never played Brookside, I have driven by it hundreds of times and the portion of the course that is visible from Perry Drive looks quite good.  
 REVAMPED BROOKSIDE IS HOMAGE TO  ROSS'  VISION                   by Bill Snier

It is recognized as one of Golf Week magazine's top 100 classic courses, a true tribute to the genius and artistic abilities of famed architect Donald Ross.
   But a majority of Brookside Country Club's 435 members still felt the course was in need of cosmetic surgery.
   "We did a survey asking members where they felt the problem areas were," said Steven Cress, former club president and current greens committee member. "The biggest complaint was about the condition of our golf course bunkers. They were inconsistent."
   Club officials took action, and Friday was the dedication of the "new" Brookside Country Club course. But, in this case, the new actually was a return to the course's roots.
   "We call it a historical renovation, " Cress said of the course, built in 1922. "The routing of the greens has not been touched. But we have new bunkers, new tees, renovated and trimmed trees and expanded our greens."
   The result of a $1.8 million renovation includes:
-about 22 trees being removed, still leaving between 7,000 and 8,000;
-adding 16 bunkers, bringing it close to the original 94 that Ross had in his original design;
-increasing the irrigation system from 600 to 1,300 sprinkler heads;
-increasing yardage for championship play from 6,786 to 7,150;
-increasing tee space from 65,000 square feet to 115,000 while adding 15 tees, up from 65;
-recapturing nine acres of fairway and 1 1/2 acres of green space;
-and putting down 800,000 square feet of new sod, including 120,000 of bent grass on the tees and the remainder Kentucky blue grass in the areas surrounding greens, bunkers and tees.
   It marks the course's first major renovation, although several changes were made in the 1960s, including the removal of 20 bunkers.
   "They took out a lot of bunkers in the 1960s as a perceived maintenance issue that kind of took the teeth out of the course," Cress said. "When the course was built, there were no irrigation systems, so Ross used bunkering to take you around the course. Everything was either green or brown, depending on the season.
"We wanted to bring back the classic feel of the course, including larger, squared off tees and shaping the fairways back and forth and left to right.
   "We turned to the past for the feel of the course, but at the same time, we had to allow for technology. Golf balls, shafts and club heads have changed."
   Brookside committee members interviewed 18 architects and eight contractors.
   They narrowed the list to six before hiring Brian Silva of Cornish, Silva and Mangeam, Golf World magazine's 1999 Architect of the Year. The contractor chosen was MacCurrach Golf Construction of Jacksonville, Fla., which was featured in a special Sports Illustrated series several years ago entitled "This Old Course," which dealt with the renovation of an older course.
   Ross always preached a "firm and fast" course in his designs. The club's former irrigation system had obscured that.
   "When you're asking sprinkler heads to throw water 90 feet, it's going to be wet," said Cress, president-CEO of Fincom Corp. "Now, we only throw water 30 feet so it doesn't get as wet. So the course is playing firmer and faster again."
    Work began around Labor Day 2003. The front nine was reopened May 1, with the remainder of the course opening Memorial Day weekend.
     Bud Rosetti is chairman of the greens committee. Cress also paid tribute to course superintendent Bob Figurella.
     "He had to work with the contractors and architect and, at the same time, keep members happy. There was a lot of interest from his peers," Cress said.
     Officials hope this will preserve the course for the next 100 years.
    "We brought the course back to about 90 percent of what it was. It really was a lengthy process...one we originally started in 2000," Cress said. "We were looking to tear apart a golf course that really didn't appear to be broken.
    "It had aged, and we had new needs...like a cosmetic surgery. It's healing pretty well."

Dunlop_White

Steve Cress,

Congratulations! Sounds like a job well done. As a fellow restoration conspiritor, I know you have spent countless hours, days, and years bringing this to fruition. I'll never forget that Brookside's Master Plan was printed on a paper lunch mat, diagrams and all, for all members and guests to revisit every time they dined. What a neat way to promote, educate, and build consensus from within.

One question though: Just 22 trees?

Dunlop

Tommy_Naccarato

I also applaude Brookside and their restoration efforts, and the way they went about educating the members and staff to put their weight behind total restoration of a classic course.

Also much congratulations to Brian Silva for his insight and integrity in protecting that vision.

TEPaul

TommyN:

I think Brian is a good man in the restoration end of things sometimes, as Ron Prichard, Ron Forse, Gil Hanse and Tom Doak and some others can generally be too.

But don't be too damn quick with your praise of Brian or Brookside here, until we know more about it. It just may be that Brian used rolled down grass faced bunkers at Ross's Brookside thereby making them look exactly like Aronimink, GMGC, Minikahda, Jeffersonville, Meadowbrook, Plainfield, Lulu, Gulf Stream and a number of other recent Ross "so-called restorations", and thereby removing all the local character from Brookside's bunkering and creating a mindless bunker style uniformity with Ross's otherwise varied bunkering types, looks and styles. We, of the golf architectural purist stripe must protect and preserve Ross's flashed faced bunkering wherever it may have been!

So first find out what Brian did with those bunkers faces at Brookside before you go on blithely praising him and his project there. If those Brookside Ross bunkers have grassed down faces and flat floors, I volunteer to hunt Brian down wherever he may be (and I actually know approximately where he is at this very moment) and do my very best to drum him out of the Ross restoration business. For all we know he may be up to no damn good like trying to "improve" a course rather than exactly photographically preserving it.

And if I find out that either Hatch or McGovern was EVER anywhere near Brookside when it was under construction and Brian Silva didn't do the research to figure that out---well, that'd just be beyond the pale! If that turns out to be true we should send him out to Ohio in triple handcuffs and just let Tom MacWood do whatever he wants with him!

;)

T_MacWood

Canton Brookside is a wonderful golf course. I hope all 22 trees removed were on 18th hole. A steeply up hill par-5, it had a single row of evergreens down the left side and a single row down the right, basically encircling the hole. One of their members must have been in the Xmas tree trade.

Tommy_Naccarato

Tom, I think we should let those who deserve praise get it and those who want to pontifcate a point or principle, do it on another thread.

That's what I think.

TEPaul

TommyN:

What do you think on this thread represents pontificating a point or a principle?

TEPaul

Tom MacWood said:

"Canton Brookside is a wonderful golf course."

Tom:

Glad to hear you say that. Firstly, how do you feel about the recent Silva restoration of that wonderful course? And secondly, do you happen to know what Brian did with the bunkers of Canton Brookside and if so how do you feel about them?

T_MacWood

TE
The course had a lot going for it prior to Silva being involved...unfortunately it was also marred by a few later additions (and subtractions)--including the tunnel of conifers.

When I'm able to determine exactly what Silva did and the accuracy of the work, I'll let you know--I'm hopeful.

TEPaul

"When I'm able to determine exactly what Silva did and the accuracy of the work, I'll let you know--I'm hopeful."

Tom MacW:

Thanks for that. I'm hopeful too. There are a good number out there, I'm sure, certainly undoubtedly including the entire membership of Canton Brookside who are dying to know if their Silva restoration was a success or a failure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 09:57:05 AM by TEPaul »

Todd_Eckenrode

I haven't been there since, but am very familiar with the course and lost out to Brian for the job (though I think it was a great hire).  Have kept up to date with Dan Belden on progress, and he's sent along many pics.  Judging from those and his comments, I would say it appears to be an unqualified success.  I honestly don't know about the exact style of the bunkers, but thinking on a larger scale, the greatness of the site was brought back.  By my best guess of what's been done (as best I can from the left coast)...many more than 12 trees came out, I believe.  The openness of the site is back, which really allows you to see the strength of the contours.  Playing corridors and fairways widths were extended. The incredibly unique greens were retained, and the bunkering completely revamped, bringing back most of the old bunker placements, which really strengthens the intent of the greens.  I'm really anxious to see it in person, and congratulate Brian on what appears to be a great success.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back