News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Courses with two par 3s
« on: August 27, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »
Is TOC unique?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

Re:Courses with two par 3s
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 11:05:49 PM »
Paul:

Wow, I forgot all about that. Of course I've never been to TOC but I did know that. I sure don't know another one with two par 3s but I have distinct feeling someone on here will come up with one.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 11:35:43 PM »
There are many courses around the globe with only 2 x
par-3s, but the interesting fact to uncover is, whether there are any famous/well-known courses with just two, apart from TOC? I'm sure the GCA 'detectives' will have is sussed within 48 hours.

One example is the quaint little Scottish links ... The Golf House Club - Elie, Fife. It has two par-3s: Wickets; and Sea Hole.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 12:24:12 AM »
Paul

I've played Elie, but too long ago to remember its par make up.  I'd like to know others, even if they are obscure.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 01:06:00 AM »
I thought Elie had three par-3 holes and one par five.  But it's been twenty years since I played it.  The Old Course is the only one I can remember playing with just two par-3's.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 01:48:58 AM »
As a par-70 with two nines of 35, Elie has 16 x par-4s and two x 3s. NO PAR FIVES.

Tom: the twelfth hole known as 'Bents' is a brutish par-4 of around 465 yards. You wouldn't be the first person to assume this as a par-5.

Funny thing about the naming of 'Bents.' At least twenty-five links in the UK have a hole named 'Bents.'

Andy Levett

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 08:33:30 AM »
Ganton used to have just the two until   the  17th was downgraded from a par 4.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »
Andy:

That's very interesting about Ganton and I didn't even notice that when I went there. Obviously that means the back nine had no par 3s before the 17th was transitioned down. In my opinion the course is so interesting anyway something like that might not even be apparent!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 11:34:20 AM »
It depends how you play Ganton and off what tees.  For the 2003 Walker Cup the 17th was a 250-yard par 3 but the 6th was played as a 470-yard par 4, giving a yardage of 6894 against a par of 71. The Medal Course (as the members play it) has the 6th as a 449-yard par 5, but the 17th as a 252-yard par 4, giving a total of 6,734 yards for a par of 73.  The members, then, only have two par 3s - 5th and 10th.

Irvine is another course with only two par 3s.  It was used for this year's final qualifying for the Open Championship at Royal Troon.  I seem to remember that a contributor to this site was going to caddie for someone at Irvine.  I'd love to know what they thought of the course.  I have a feeling that the other course in Irvine - Ravenspark - also has only two par 3s.

I'm sure I can find other courses in the UK, but I can't be bothered at this moment!  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 06:22:12 AM »
Acording to my data, TOC and Elie are the only courses in the UK with just 2 par-3s. I would suspect that there are none in the US — on courses considered regulation.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 08:17:26 AM »
I was lucky enough to have played Ganton recently and played the 17th as a par 4, which is a much better option.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back