News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Re:Does a great "mountain" course actually exist??
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 01:49:35 PM »
Check out williammangum.com for a depiction of a hole at Linville Ridge.

Keith Williams

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 01:56:58 PM »
I have heard that Foulpointe GC is hands down the best mountain course on earth.

Keith.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 03:52:02 PM »
Boat of Garten
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »
Forest Highlands by Weiskopf & Morrish
Lahontan by Weiskopf
Cascades by Flynn

My best three,
Yancey

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2004, 07:58:57 AM »
Grandfather is my favorite.
Don't you think alll good mountain courses are "valley courses in the mountains"?  
Seems most new mountain courses are hign marketing budget courses which creates a supposedly better course.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John_Cullum

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2004, 10:22:22 AM »
I've been looking for an opportunity to share my most recent experience. Two weeks ago I played Currahee in Toccoa GA. (New Jim Fazio) I call it mountain golf without the mountains. For some reason this strange track in the absolute middle of nowhere north GA has been selected for the 2d stage Club Pro Championship for the Southeastern region.  It has most of the downside of Blue ridge mountain golf- anything outside of the prepared areas of play is lost or unplayable, uneven lies, blind shots, I cant count the drop shots from the tees, it seems like every other hole is a 60 to 100 foot drop from tee to fairway or green. It is absolutely not walkable, probably 8 or 9 miles around. And the bad thing is no streams or rhododendrens or waterfalls to gaze upon. A few holes have a view to some distant mountains, and that is pretty, but on the whole I found it tiresome to play.

Why did the PGA select this site for one of its bigger events? It is not convenient to travelers. It has no facilities yet-no clubhouse, only 1 small trailer. They only have about 15 carts, so they'll have to lease extras. Alot of players will want caddies and they'll have to ride on back most of the time. There are probably not enough hotel rooms within 10 miles. Ponderous man, ponderous.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2004, 12:08:07 PM »
Howey-in-the-hills, Florida has the el campeon. It must've been quite the attraction back in the day (1926) Charles Clark designed what has to be the prototype for most of the mediocrity that followed. Mountain golf in Florida, not far from Orlando. Now that's irony.

Michael_Burrows

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2004, 08:38:21 PM »
It is sad to see that there is not much talk about Lookout Mountain Golf Club, which for all you don't know is a Seth Raynor design. As for the statement that it is a flat mountain course I will have to strongly disagree. I have walked the course several times and I can say that it is not flat by any means. I really don't understand why more people do not take the time to come and play this course. Yes it is private but it is not that hard to get on to. Plus, Black Creek,The Farm, and the Honors course are less than half an hour away but good luck getting on to The Farm and the Honors course. Having worked and played at Merion I feel that LMGC is just as special and a wonderful golf experience as Merion. I know most of you will disagree with me because LMGC does not have as rich of a history as Merion or is not ranked on any course ratings and that’s ok but like I said it is just a special place and just like all the other great classic courses it is over looked and under rated in modern era where the length is more important than design.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 05:13:53 PM by Michael_Burrows »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2004, 08:27:22 AM »
Add Red Sky Ranch, the Norman Course to the list of very good mountain courses. This is the first Norman course that I have liked, and I was truly surprised.

I have to take Cordillera, the Summit Course off my list. Played it 3 years ago, a couple of weeks after it opened and was awe struck with the scenery.

Now that the course has matured, and I put the scenery aside, it has 4 excellent holes, but the greens border on the ridiculus. I watched shot after shot roll off the greens, including some putts.

Maybe the greens settled a bit into the natural terrain, but I lost interest after 13 or 14 holes, and wanted the round to end.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back