News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:Best county for golf
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:17 AM »
Richard-

Wow, even I may have to raise a white flag to this list.  I don't even think there's comparison.  The greater NY area is strong, but this is "-er" in all categories.  You have history, architecture, Haggis, what else do you need?  

"If it's not Scottish..."

Wow.  I never realized these were that close, geographically.  They look much farther on maps.  

That's an ace card if I ever saw one.  Sort of like "here you go, Yankees, take this!!"  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:56:46 AM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Scott Seward

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »
When I origanally posted, I wasn't even thinking of Scotland, but I have to admit that some of these lists are pretty difficult to argue with.

The problem with San Francisco golf is that the county line goes right down the middle of all of the great courses. Olympic and Harding are right across Lake Merced from each other but are in seperate counties.

I still would hold the top courses of Monterey county against any other in the world, but the depth of great courses listed in other counties is pretty strong.

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 01:31:48 PM »
"Wow.  I never realized these were that close, geographically.  They look much farther on maps."

Doug:

They do look much farther on the map when compared with the States becuse the scale on the map is different from the States. Sure the whole area over there is much closer geographically because that 120 mile diameter is about the size of a couple of US states. The US of A is a large and wide open country and Scotland, England is like Lilliput compared to it. Throw in the US Eastern seaboard and that list of Rick's would probably pick up some games, maybe a set but I doubt it'd win the match!!   ;)  

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 02:30:30 PM »
Ues, but a 120-mile radius is well beyond the boundaries of even our largest county, Yorkshire.  Besides, we're talking here of crossing sea to Ireland.  Mind you, if you stick to the 120-mile rule you can also include gems such as Silloth, Southerness, Gullane, the Mackenzie courses in north Leeds, Formby, Hillside, West Lancs, S&A, Wallasey....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back