News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Del Vecchio

Green Troubles at Red Tail
« on: August 18, 2003, 11:08:02 AM »
One of my very favorite courses in Massachusetts is Red Tail, built at the old Fort Devens.  It opened 9 holes in 2001, and 18 in early 2002.  Ron Whitten loved it almost as much as I do:

http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/redtail.html

This is a fabulous layout, but with a fatal flaw:  the greens.  From the first time I played there (early 2001) to the last (twice last week), the greens have ranged from horrible to mediocre.  

During last year's dry spell, even a soft wedge from 100 yards would bounce 10 feet in the air and roll off the back.  When Iwent to fix my ball mark, I struggled to get my tool into the turf.  When I managed that, I raised numerous rocks and pebbles from just under the surface.

During this year's rainy spell, the greens are mushy, partially bare, and very bumpy.  The pebbles are still there, but the greens are no longer firm.

I find this almost heartbreaking.  When I ask around the club, I get various different stories.  One is that the company building the course was also building the new Oaks course at the International at the same time, and that that (private) course got all the attention.  Another is that they made a mistake when they built the green foundations, using the wrong materials, and that the only way to fix it is to rip them up and start over.

Does anybody have any information about what is going on at Red Tail?

Highlander

Re:Green Troubles at Red Tail
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 11:46:53 AM »
A shame, was going to play there this week, I'll have to pass I geuss, sounds unplayable?. Great, great design; will probably not get the attention it deserves until the greens are done though. Should be in the state Top 10 eventually.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 11:51:58 AM »
Highlander, if you haven't played it, my recommendation would be to go ahead and bite the bullet.  Putting will suck, but the rest of the experience will be fantastic.  

And maybe you can gain some insight as to what went wrong.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 09:45:45 PM »
I forgot to mention; a sign was posted at the clubhouse indicating that they were aerating the greens on Monday, August 18th.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »
I played this course last weekend with Mr Moore, and while the green conditioning was average, they obviously have repaired any former problems that they had last year. I enjoyed the course, and while it is a tough walk and a tough course from the back tees, it was a fun course to play. Doak scale 6, IMHO.

One of my favorites was 17:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:48:38 PM by Mike Sweeney »

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
That could be a problem that will be everlastingly endemic until they just bite the bullet and redo the foundations of those greens. This actually happened in the beginning of my course after it was built (Ross 1916-1919) The green surfaces were terrible and William Flynn came in and fixed them all. The style and slopes and contours were all Ross and Flynn left that alone---he just fixed the foundations so the greens  could grow grass better.

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 02:36:22 PM »
Tom Paul -

Haven't you always advocated the ball bouncing all over the place and not leaving behind a pitch mark?

I did play with Sweeney the other day, and first and foremost let me propose that Red Tail is one of the finest courses public or private in Massachusetts. There is strategy on almost every shot (even on the par three holes, even for ten handicappers), the course is big and brash, the bunkering is large and in charge - it is a course where you can get your ass kicked and still have fun.

As for the maintenance issues, I have heard about problems on the greens there, but last week the greens were eminenetly playable. Sure, at a course where you pay $88 and they clean your clubs afterwards, there is an expectation that the greens will roll like young Henry's behind and be devoid of all blemishes. This is not the case, but I found the greens to be, as Mike indicated, average and not at all problematic. The bunker construction is of the highest quality.

Let no one be dissuaded from a visit to Red Tail. The course is largely devoid of houses, roads, power lines and cell towers. There is a quarry hole that will stun you. Standing on the fourteenth tee will stun you. Red Tail is all that and a bag of chips.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back