News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Troon #8
« on: July 14, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »
There's been some talk in the buildup to the Open that the Postage Stamp is the best par 3 in the world. If it is such a good hole (and I don't doubt that it is, although I've never played it), why isn't it copied more often? I can't think of many courses that have opened recently that have incorporated a difficult sub 130-yard hole. Is it just too difficult to design? Does it have too much of a negative impact on the total course yardage (i.e., courses that "need" to be over 7,000 yards)? The 7th at Pebble also gets all sorts of accolades—you'd think that those holes would be mimicked all over the place.

My home course has a par three that plays anywhere from 120 to 140. It's not a great design, but the small green falls off on all sides, making a miss incredibly penal. I've probably made more double bogies there than on any other hole on the course—and that's with a wedge in my hand hitting off a perfect lie.

The commentators like to say that every course should have a driveable par 4, at least one reachable par 5, and a long (200+ yard) par 3. I'd like to see a very short (but difficult) par 3 added to that mix. The really good ones are few and far between.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Troon #8
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:17:44 AM »
I agree. I haven't come across many great short par 3s, in the 100-130 yards range, at newer courses I've visited. One that pops into mind is 17 at Sand Hills. It might be closer to 150 yards at max. length though. I can't recall exactly.

Should be fun to watch the world's best play Troon's 8th this week. Particularly if the wind blows.  

jeffmingay.com

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 09:38:37 AM »
Is Troon #8 difficult without the wind?  Or, is it the wind that makes this hole so tough?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 09:39:08 AM »
Dan,

#8 is like a little island, sitting up from the links and exposed to the wind.  So unless you could find a little dune (or make one), that is exposed to cross-winds, I'm not sure you'd be able to replicate the essense of the hole.

One thing to notice this week, and I never hear it mentioned (it's always the bunkers) is the green had a severe slope from left to right, and since alot of the shots will be knock-downs with alot of spin, you'll see balls hit high on the left side and roll off to the right.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 09:55:36 AM »
What is the approximate size of the green?  I have read some absurd square footage numbers recently - 450 sf for example.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 09:58:41 AM »
Just a guess....but I'd say 15yds wide x 25yds deep.  Mike Benham's pictures from yesterday give a decent perspective.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 10:36:35 AM »
There's been some talk in the buildup to the Open that the Postage Stamp is the best par 3 in the world.
... this week !!!

I think, and this is a factor with the Postage Stamp, that the short par-3s need elevation change (or something that puts doubt into the club selection ... like wind) to make them great.

Pebble #7 being downhill and with a variety of wind conditions puts doubt in the club selection.

When standing on #8 at Troon, even with a mild zephyer, you realize that you need to club correctly (for the shot type you want to play) and that you need to be accurate ... long or short by a half of or full club is OK, left or right by 30 feet might mean a heck of a bogey ...

Smallish greens also help but most current designs go for larger greens ...

Taken from the right edge of the green ...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:20:54 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 10:51:50 AM »
Brian,

Thanks.  That's consistent with my estimate.  Writer must have mistaken yards for feet.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 11:07:24 AM »
My first ever "Scottish" birdie came on the Postage Stamp, so it has a very fond place in my heart...

...but I'd say the above comments are pretty spot on.  The hole plays fairly difficult with or without wind (obviously harder with than without), but the need to hit the putting surface is crucial for a miss short you're in deep doo-doo, hit one of the bunkers and you are dead, and hit it onto the dune and you're toast...get the picture?

I'm not sure why the hole is not copied more, but as someone above said I think the fact that few places have exposed dunes available for such a unique green location prohibit it's copying elsewhere.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:21:50 AM »
I love the hole. Maybe not as much as 15 at Cypress or 11 at TOC, but alot. The dune blocks the wind to keep the ball on the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back