News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Taos CC My first Jep Wille?
« on: August 26, 2004, 10:05:24 AM »
Anyone of you that may someday need golf capital, with the wife, can easily combine the two, in Taos Nm.

A Jep Wille solo design, that had much more of the positives, than any negatives. Likely the result of few restrictions, the principle, Tad Bourg, shared domiciles in college with this backroom architect. Who has worked for Von Hagge and Joe Finger, and I assume others. I don't know much more than that, so if you do, please share.

Here's a sampling of the one-shotters;

The only water feature on the course, the designer was considerate enough to extend the corner of the pond so that even the forward most tee, needed a carry.

Purposely showed this photo first, (more to follow depending on interest) since it has the only negative, one could make. Could you?

The final one shotter with pin cut front right. Room on the right allowed for an almost Redanesque draw to get close.

All the greens had enough variety of shape, to allow for the entire gambit of tough to easy pin positions. Some looks (tight pins) were actually very cool.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 03:28:11 PM by Adam Clayman »

A_Clay_Man

Re:Taos CC My first Jep Willie?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 10:26:48 AM »
The course (92' ish)was easily walkable, had multi-directional changes (for Matt) and had a subtle symphonic building of features throughout.

The conditions were optimal, playing Firm and somewhat, Fast. Greens appeared to have just the right amount of Poa, that allowed for attacking one's putt.

The scale of the entire region, may or maynot be transferable to digi-bites. And, the wind is undoubtedly a welcomed daily occurrance for the frequent sadist, I mean golfer.

oops, almost forgot;

Green- 7302y 72.8/124
Gold- 6817y  70.7/118
Black- 6123y 67.1/111
Silver- 5343y 63.4/101
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:41:14 AM by Adam Clayman »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »
Adam:

I played the course a few years back with my wife on hand -- she is a mega fan of the Taos area as I am too.

The course you mentioned is nicely done but has little of the architectural details you find with the newer layouts we have talked about previously (e.g. Paa Ko, Black Mesa, etc, etc).

Clearly, the views of the mountains is really neat and the rolling land does give you a bit of variety. I also concur with the routing as it does take you in different directions.

Is it worth a play? Yes, but there's plenty better in the Land of Enchantment in my mind.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:48:46 AM »
Matt- I make no claim to the courses stature amongst great venues. However, I did join-up with a couple from Tulsa, and they found the course to their liking. As I would think George Pazin would prefer this test over the more sophisticated Black Mesa. (less than hour away)

I do wonder if if some of those bunker shapes, had been made less linear, if the sophisticated gca addicted golfer could resist it?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:56:20 AM »
Adam:

You're point about bunkers is well taken. It would be amazing to see what could be done.

Too many of the bunkers at Taos are simply cosmetic creations. They have little meaningful purpose and are simply there to provide some sort of break from the green grass. Clearly, your point is something a place like Taos would benefit immensely from.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 11:36:48 AM »
At 6900 ft of elevation I doubt there's a bunker alive that would challenge a low marker like your self. BUT, they intruded on the line of play, just enough to make it interesting, for the rest of us.

Apoligizies to Jep Wille if I have mis-spelled your name or mis-represented your credentials. American Golf doesn't give design credit on the scorecard. :'(

My hope is to learn more from those who know better.

Are any of you out there?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 03:29:18 PM by Adam Clayman »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 01:19:58 PM »
Adam and Matt
I played Taos CC when it first opened and only 9 holes were available. I agree that it's not an architectual gem like some of the other NM courses; however, it is a fun course to play given the altitude and easily walkable. I remember hitting a 300y 3 wood and a 170y 9 iron. I'd like to return someday to see how the other 9 turned out and revisit the neat town of Taos. Maybe after the new course by Foster(?) opens at Sandia Pueblo next year I'll revisit NM.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A_Clay_Man

Re:Taos CC My first Jep Wille?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:58:59 PM »
More;

A fine example of "never needing to be more than that", I found the subtleties challenging for the level of likely customer, and beyond. (if needed)

Matt- What did you think of the back-toback par 5's #14 & 15? In exact opposite directions, I found it a subtle quirk. Here's the fifteenth's green, taken from the left side, showing the centerline deep fronting bunker protecting this back left pin admirably.

Admirably, cause I misjudged the yardage. As my raking of the leftside would indicate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 04:05:08 PM by Adam Clayman »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 04:10:49 PM »
Here's a shot taken from the moving car.

The black line in the center is the Rio Grande Gorge, as it moves to the left, the road and river eventually meet for a gentle ride downhill towards Espanola (Black Mesa). Enjoyable, wouldn't do it justice.

Hint: There's a scenic overlook, where many a couple could be spotted taking photos over the gorgeous gorge.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 04:11:37 PM by Adam Clayman »

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
Matt- I make no claim to the courses stature amongst great venues. However, I did join-up with a couple from Tulsa, and they found the course to their liking. As I would think George Pazin would prefer this test over the more sophisticated Black Mesa. (less than hour away)

A lesser man might be insulted by this.... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 10:44:18 PM »
I would never insult a lesser man, and, I suppose sophisticiated could mean wider? :-*

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 10:15:30 AM »
George,

I only played the first nine of TCC when it first opened (the second was being grown-in), and came away favorably impressed.  While it has been a long time, I think that I prefer it to Black Mesa in terms of a fun round of golf.

BTW, I too discovered earlier this summer that I lacked perspective and discernment.  According to a leasing agent in Manhattan, their methods and practices in real estate are much more sophisticated than those I am more familiar with.  As our more knowledgeable friends lament, ignorance is bliss.  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »
Adam:

The par-5's you pictures are decent holes -- let's not confuse them with any of the top par-5's you find at Paa-Ko or Black Mesa.

The issue for Taos is that it lacks any clear details -- the greens are simply vanilla and the bunkering is sprinkled so conservatively as to not be a factor whatsoever.

The yardage for the course tends towards a much shorter playing distance IMHO.

Don't get me wrong -- like Lou said it is a fun course but the fun meter for me is a bit higher than the limited thrills you get from the course. If there was a course that could benefit substanially from some additional detailing it's Taos.

JWL

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 01:41:32 PM »
Adam

Regarding your spelling of Jep's name, here is his actual full name.
Jeptha Wedge Wille

That is no joke.   Jep and I went to college together and he told me that his dad was really into golf and thus the name.
BTW, Jep was a terrific college player.  I don't know how he plays these days, but with his simple swing, I have a feeling it is still quite good.
I haven't had contact with Jep since college, but I am very pleased to see him getting credit for some solo work.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 01:53:05 PM »
Jim- Thanks for that. Did you know Tad than too?

I wish more could be shared. Specifically I'd be interested in what other firms he's work for, and their courses. If I had to guess one, I got a very familiar feel while golfing Santa Ana in Bernallio, nm.

Another wonderful design element, that I not only found smart but practical at Taos CC, was the first one shotter wasn't until the seventh hole. Giving the golfer the chance to "figure it out" before golfing the all important one shotters.

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 05:01:15 PM »
Adam,

This may be a dork question, but what is their water source there?  Some of the lighter shades of green look over watered or a nitrate problem?

What was the speed of the greens?

Jason

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back