News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Tryall course profile is posted
« on: April 20, 2004, 08:10:46 PM »
...under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

We are still in the retrieval process of another hundred pages of past topic threads. However, in reviewing some of the old ones I started, I cringe at the proclamations that seem to have initiated from my keyboard. If I had to rank  :P my stupidity, at the top of the list would be sweeping generalizations. For instance, there is no good golf in Florida apart from Seminole (Boca Rio, Indian Creek, World Woods, Mountain Lake, etc. prove that wrong), every golfer needs to get to Scotland (true but every golfer REALLY needs to get to England), etc.

One such generalization that I always believed true was "Casa de Campo is the only place a golfer need bother with in the Caribbean." Well, this too proved humongously wrong as well based on a week at Tryall in Jamaica. I had seen this course on TV for the Johnnie Walker and it looked good and it always produced a top champion but still....who is Ralph Plummer and if the course was good, why doesn't anyone EVER talk about it? I still have no clue as to an answer to the second question (perhaps we should have a GCA.com meeting down there next winter?) but Ralph Plummer is a lay of the land architect who went against the grain of the name architects of the 1960-80's by moving as little land as possible while still giving holes good golf quality.

See what you think but this course (and the resort as a whole) is infinitely worth getting to know. Tryall ranks up there with some of the biggest pleasant surprises (Eastward Ho!, Kirtland CC, Brora, Black Mesa, Charles River, Milwaukee CC, Beverly CC, Chung Shan, etc.) that I've ever had.

Cheers,

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Tryall course profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »
Ran,

We looked at Tryall for a family vacation last year but did not go. Is it good for kids ?

I think the Carribean gets a bad rap for golf. If you count Mid Ocean in Bermuda as part of the Carribean, then it and the Four Seasons Resort course in Nevis (RTJ, but I think Kyle Phillips did the work) are two of my favorite golf experiences.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:13:10 AM »
Ran,
Tryall is largely missed because of its location (away from MoBay), while development continues at Montego Bay. Between Tryall and the three courses east of Montego Bay, it really is a great golf destination.

Jamaica is also far more beautiful than a number of the Caribbean islands and I am not sure how this gets overlooked.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »
Why do the clean-line bunkers appear to work here?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »
Just a funny Tryall story.  My friend was down at Tryall last fall and went out to play with his host and the host's wife and they were told to start on number 3 as they were late for their tee time.  When they finished the 18th hole my friend's wife who does not play golf was waiting for them and my friend started packing up his stuff.  His host told him they hadn't played 1 and 2 and they were going to play all 18 holes.  So the 3 golfers and my friend's wife went out to play 1 and 2.  My friend proceeded to ace number 2.    

Hunt

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:46:17 PM »
I'm heading to Jamaica tomorrow and have tee times set at the White Witch at the Ritz Carlton there. I recall some discussion about this course some time ago but can't find the thread.

Any thoughts?

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:02:24 PM »
I'm heading to Jamaica tomorrow and have tee times set at the White Witch at the Ritz Carlton there. I recall some discussion about this course some time ago but can't find the thread.

Any thoughts?

It was some discussion... :)

I would recommend checking out the Cinammon Hill course, literally next door to the White Witch. I found it the more interesting of the two courses.

henrye

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 01:08:22 PM »
I spent 2 weeks with my family at Tryall this past Xmas.  I have also travelled and played a number of courses in the Caribbean and Mexico.  While Tryall is no Cabo del Sol, Teeth of the Dog or Isla Navidad, it is my favourite tropical destination for a family vacation of golf and fun.  The resort is very laid back and casual.

The course truly grows on you.  It is very interesting terrain with the fist 6 and final 3 holes playing on flat terrain near the ocean.  The other holes move back from the sea into rolling hills with lush vegetation.  Of the courses I have played in Jamaica it is by far the best.

Hunt, I recommend a trip there.  I found the White Witch, at the Ritz to be a glitzy cart mandatory course built on  ridiculously extreme terrain.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back