News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

The REAL rankings factors!
« on: February 28, 2004, 11:20:25 PM »
Strategy, course conditioning, resistance to scoring...these are all valid criteria for judging a course.  However, they are hardly comprehensive.  When you get right down to it, there are many more relevant factors affecting your enjoyment of the course.

For example: Hamburger buns.  At Atlanta Country Club, we get our hamburger buns from a local bakery.  I hate them.  They're more like rolls.  They are tough, heavy, and stretchy.  There are no sesame seeds.  They don't soak up the grease from the hamburger or the melting cheese.  I think it's likely that our hamburger buns are detrimental to the golfing experience at our club.

Another factor affecting course enjoyment: beer.  Is draft available?  Are coolers provided for convenience while playing?  Are foam beer holders available in the pro shop?  What selections are available?  Are they served in frozen mugs?

Hot dogs are important.  Do you have to squeeze your condiments from plastic packages?  Hunts, Heinz, or "Fancy?"  (The previous question obviously will affect the "Tradition" rating.)  Are fresh chopped onions or relish available?  Do they grill, broil, or boil the dogs?  Are they jumbo?

Card tables.  Is there a regular gin rummy game?  Do they play with a knock card (Oklahoma)?  Is there an upcard, or do you deal eleven to the first player?  Is there a place for your beverage adjacent to the gin table?

The above are all legitimate and valid factors when evaluating a golf course.  Am I missing any other criteria?

JohnV

Re:The REAL rankings factors!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 11:37:32 PM »
Cart Girls ;D (Oh and free wine and Pro V1s) ;)

johnk

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:39:20 AM »
BTW, the AP has finally picked up on the importance of these rancorous rankings discussions.

Check out this article - Proof the rest of the world cares about rankings as much as GCAers do:

"Question dogs golf rankings: Are they fair?"
http://sports.yahoo.golfserv.com/gdc/news/article.asp?id=21065

;)

David Kelly

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 02:49:49 AM »
Carlyle,
Have them try serving your hamburgers in hot dog buns like they do at the Olympic Club. Problem solved.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Gerry B

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 09:06:28 PM »
The hamburgers at Olympic are spectacular - once stopped 3 times during a round for 2nd and 3rd helpings. The hot dog bun is the key. In fact wrote a letter to the GM of my golf  club in Toronto(which was ranked # 1 in Canada for 20 years in a row -those in the know will know which club i am referring to) -when they changed the brand of hot dogs at the  half way house. Letter was posted -initial controversey from the club head chef  and lo and behold  - changed back to my favorite within 3 months.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:34:15 PM »
I thought you were kidding about the hot dog bun.  Now I REALLY want to play Olympic!

I like the hot dogs at Sea Island too.  They're very peculiar, though.  They have a soft texture.  They select finer meats (or finer...nevermind) so that the hot dog is more digestible.  Try not to look at them when you eat them.  They are yummy, however.

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 09:41:12 PM »
I am sure that a bunch of people on here can talk about the glories of the Olympic Club hamburger but the bun is key - actually it is more like a roll.  The meats always tastes very fresh as well.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 10:30:24 PM »
Quality of view to be had while consuming food. Cheeseburgers on Ben's porch is a great combo. View from MPCC's halfway house with delicious food is quite good also.

Pencils with erasers for the mathematically challenged.

Scorecards on the 2nd tee for space cases like me who forget to pick them up in the pro shop.

Walking paths between holes!
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
The Olympic Burger is the best hamburger I have had while playing of any course I have played.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 08:27:28 AM »
Haggin Oaks in Sacramento has a similar burger in a hot dog bun.  I believe they call it the Mackenzie burger in honor of the architect of one of their courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back