News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Khris Januzik & Tufts Archives in Sports Illustrated
« on: July 26, 2001, 02:19:00 AM »
As you may  recall, the golf-flavored issue of SI is chronicalling Bobby Weed's makeover
of the Univ of Florida course which was originally designed by Ross as the Gainesville CC.

One of Weed's associates paid Khris a visit
in hopes of filling in the gaps on their knowledge of the original design. Needless to say, this guy was like a kid in a candy shop! Surprisingly, Tufts had little on the course, and, as it turned out, Weed's company was able to contribute some overheads they had to the archives.

One comment Khris made that was interesting was how many clubs have a complete lack of original documentation due to clubhouse fires
that have occured. "You'd think that General
Sherman was marching through all those courses", she adds.

At any rate, it was an interesting article
complete with a nice picture of Khris holding
up an original layout of Ross's East Lake course.

BillV

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 02:37:00 AM »
I for one am interested to see how this one at UF turns out.  That was the first course that I ever knew intimately.  ($35 per quarter, 5-6x/week  x3 quarters/ school year x 4.5 years= a bunch).  It did rise to $39 per quarter towards the end of my stay.

The course had six threes, six fours and six fives.  A wonderful quirky course on a (To this kid living in SoFla introduced to golf on a table top) hilly property, it surely shaped me early to the acceptance of quirk.

I will have to return to my alma mater to see if I should cry or not.  The course was the original site of the Gainesville CC.  

Steve Smyers was there when I was there, before surlyn® and urethane. When I first heard that Weed was doing the "whatever" to the course, I personally was disappointed that Weed, not Steve got the job. Smyers bunkering gets the attention, but his green compleses in my experience are pretty darned good.

Was there a hyperlink to this on-line?

As for clubhouse fires, it seems likely that it is a useful way to modernize clubhouses as the frequency of clubhouses burning down must be substantially higher than one would expect.    One of my former clubs had two clubhouses burn.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2001, 05:56:00 AM »
Khris is right about the lack of historical records at golf courses.

I am working on a history of a Ross course I grew up playing here in GA.  When I began the project, I thought the club would have extensive archives on hiring architects, notes on various course revisions, maps, sketches, etc.

My expectations were shaped by TEPaul's excellent history of Gulph Mills where it sounds like his club did an excellent job of recording every design change along the way.  Lots of aerials, committee minutes, correspondence with Ross, Maxwell, RT Jones.  The whole enchillada.

I was, frankly, shocked to find out that the Athens Country Club had no historical records whatsoever.  Nothing.

Even more surprising was that none of the designers/architects who made changes to the course (there were modifications done in the '50's, '60's and '70's) checked with the Tufts Archives to review Ross' origninal drawings.  From what I can tell, they walked out on the course and just winged it.  To the detriment of the course in most cases.

My guess is that the situation at the Athens CC is fairly typical and that Gulph Mills is an exception.

Very few clubs had (or now have) any real appreciation of golf course architecture.  Until recently, my club viewed the architecure of the golf course as having pretty much the same status as the architecture of the pool concession stand.  No one believed that keeping careful records of design changes to either were worth the effort.

I do think, however, that is changing.  People seem much more attuned to cga issues.

One sign of that is the heightened interest is Khris' archives.          

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 06:33:00 AM »
What was the relationship between Athens CC and UGa? Have you checked out the University archives?

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2001, 06:33:00 AM »
BCrosby:

It is a real shame if a golf course who might have some interest in restoration has no records to go back by. Particularly if they're lucky enough to have someone like you who is willing to do the work if the material was there!

Without club minutes and so forth you will likely never know the who, why or even the when of it accurately. But if you're lucky enough to have well spaced aerials (like 1930s, 1950s, 1960s etc, etc.) as the Philadelphia/New Jersey district does with these Dallin aerials, you have a very valuable tool if analyzed and used correctly.

It's a shame that most clubs probably never really thought to keep their records indicative in one way or another of their course's architecture. What surprised me most though was once talking with Khris Januzik. I called her before I did that Gulph Mills Design Evolution report just to see if I could supplement the material I had with something from Ross's records. Khris told me she had nothing on my club and to search attics and such. But then she told me that directly after Donald Ross died, someone took almost all the records he had in Pinehurst, dumped them in a big barrel and burned them! God almighty, if that wasn't the biggest tragedy of all! If those records of Ross's had remained in one piece, even a club like yours could at least go back to the beginning and then try to piece the evolution together and hopefully rid most of the course of it in a really good restoration.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
Tom Mac -

UGA used the ACC as its home course until the early 70's when RTJ was hired to build a course for the university.  I checked with UGA for historical records.  Nada.

It's not that I haven't found any records at all.  A couple of older members that served on committees kept some things.  The best item I found was a draft of a speech one was going to give to the club in the '60's on the architectural history of the course.  It has some good stuff that I am using.  A sign of the times (the '60's, I mean) was that he never gave the speech.  It seems there was a lack of interest in the topic among the membership.  The elderly gentleman that did the outline is still bitter about it.

TEPaul -

Khris told me the same story about the Ross papers.  The lack of awareness of Ross' historical significance is amazing.

Reminds me of Bach's wife who, after his death, used his musical scores for wrapping paper.  More than one third of everything he wrote was lost that way.  

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
During my research as Historian at the
Beverly Country Club, I was put in touch
with Pete Jones, and then, through him,
with Khris.

Khris was very helpful to me and it was
very interesting meeting her and touring the Tufts Archives during my Pinehurst visit, and, again during this years Ross Society meeting at Holston Hills.

It's great to see Khris and the Tufts
Archives getting some good publicity in
Sports Illustrated.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Charles_P.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
For those of you who don't subsribe to the magazine, here's a link to the article being discussed:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golf/news/2001/07/24/this_old_course/

And here's a link to the CNNSI quasi-architecture section:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golf/news/2001/04/09/oldcourse_archive/

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
BCrosby:

This will probably turn into a long digression but if it makes you feel any better my golf club had very little awareness or interest in the historical significance of our course too. The most informed was aware that we have a Ross course and that was sort of cool but that's about as far as it went. Understanding the details of the architecture or restoring it was on noone's mind.

The interesting thing about all the material, records, minutes, whatnot is we had it despite ourselves! You see, you have to understand the general mentality or ethos of a membership like ours. The classic old line Philadephian who basically lives and looks like he lives about 30 years ago. This club is living proof of W.C. Fields's  belief that if the world comes to an end be sure you're in Philadelphia because it's about 30 years behind times!

Anyway, this membership is a bunch of squirrels and wouldn't think to throw anything away! Many of these people are very rich but there is absolutely no way of telling that by looking at them or talking to them. Some have probably forgotten that they are or have always been unaware of that fact.

The perfect example of how they tend to live is my cousin (who died at 85 last week) who sold his farm about a year ago. I went into his dressing room and there were so many old clothes stacked in there you just can't believe it. We had to clean the whole place out and when we got to the bottom of one pile we found some article of clothing he'd been looking for since 1936. His farm also had to have about 50 years of deferred maintenance to it! You get the picture?

That's sort of the way the club works too. It's ironic as hell that GMGC has actually had seven architects come through the place over the years and to me that just shows how changing things architecturally was as generally prevalent as it was even for a club like mine.

You don't have to go much farther than our clubhouse to tell what kind of club it is! It looks sort of like somebody's house. The theme of the club is low play and if somebody found out that we happened to do more than fifteen thousand rounds a year somebody is going to get fired!

After about an eighty year dicussion about whether we should try and have good food or no food at all the club brought in a manager for the house and kitchen (a wonderfully effecient youny lady--we never had any kind of manager before--Yikes, way too expensive and unnecessary!!). Anyway, now we have nice meals and she has prevailed upon us to expand the kitchen! Not for no reason, mind you, but because if we didn't someone is likely to lose their life in there!

So that was approved with much gnashing of teeth and unfortunately in came the local and County permitting guys ("What you need a permit to expand a kitchen?"). Talk about opening Pandora's Box! The first reaction of the permitting boys was we had to tear the whole clubhouse down and start again, because frankly, this place probably doesn't even conform to code in 1951! More head-scratching and foot shuffling (and a few tears) until finally one of the more progressive members says he's a pretty good friend of the local congressman and he'll give him a call to see if these permitting boys can really take our beloved clubhouse from us and make us pay something! Somehow the next day the permittting boys were gone for good.

If you could see our lockerroom you'd also understand! The most expensive hooks money can buy! If we did in fact ever move to Ardrossan Farms I was instructed to duplicate that lockerroom! Somebody just last week made me aware that there are far too many Audis, BMWs and Mercedes in our parking lot and this signifies the beginning of the end of our club the way we know it and love it! I said, "are you sure about that?"  and he said; "well maybe not the beginning of the end but it certainly is the end of the beginning"!

Anyway, I think now we are beginning to have a much greater appreciation for our golf course and there is pride building in its architecture too. They are beginning to understand the details and architectural significance of Donald Ross and Perry Maxwell. And hopefully more awareness is coming!

Again, we've had seven architects through the course over the years and Gil Hanse is the eighth. I don't look at Gil (and his restoration plan) as the eighth architect though! I look at him as the reincarnation of Donald and Perry. And me? I'm sort of like Perry's "forgotten man".

Bob, if you have nothing to go on, at least interview the older members with good memories. If there are any old caddies around interview them too. And take my advice and don't wait until tomorrow to do it or you will likely lose another valuable resource.

Hope this makes you feel a little better Bob, and I sure as hell hope noone from my club reads this or I'm cooked!

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
Tom

You have had many great posts on this site, but this one definitely deserves the full 3* Michelin accolade!

Well done, young Tom.

Rich

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Tom -

Wonderful post and thanks.

I am actually excited about my little history, lack of original materials notwithstanding.  I have interviewed lots of old members.  They have been eager to help and, in a curious way, almost embarrassed that they have never lifted a finger to preserve their little jewell of a golf course.  I sometimes feel that they are waiting for me to chew them out for having been so irresponsible all these years.

There is no question that there has been a recent revival of member interest in the Ross connection to the Athens course.  At least down this way, all the publicity surrounding the Open a couple of years ago at No. 2 was a turning point.  After that Ross became more than just a name to them.  That's the good news.

But lest we forget, these older members are of the RT Jones generation.  These are the guys that came of age post WWII and got swept up in the bigger, better, monster course talk from the 50's and 60's.  So going back to the kinder, gentler Golden Age archies is a big shift.  They aren't sure yet that they like where this all may be heading.  

They undertand toughening up a course.  They have heard the USGA pronouncements for four decades about how to "improve" courses for the Open.  Bigger, tougher harder these old guys get.

They don't grasp quite so easily the concept of widening fairways or removing trees.  It throws them for a loop.  

So we will see.  It's been a fun trip so far.            

Ed_Baker

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Great Post Tom Paul,
I hope the anachronism prevails.
We were not as lucky with the permitting boys and "blew our old barn up" in 1996 and it "just ain't the same". The dues have almost DOUBLED since then! At least we got a Master Plan and decent restoration for the golf course in the mix!

BCrosby,
Good luck and have fun with your research.Just make sure that you and the other dedicated members that are spearheading the effort stay involved AFTER the work is completed.It is amazing how quickly philosophies change with different Boards!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »

TEPaul

In return for free golf I will be willing to do my part to rectify the situation you described "Somebody just last week made me   aware that there are far too many Audis, BMWs and Mercedes in our parking lot and this signifies the beginning of the end of our club the way we know it and love it! I said, "are you sure about that?" and he said; "well
maybe not the beginning of the end but it certainly is the end of the beginning"!"

I can provide a beat up pick up truck of the requested vintage to lessen the impression of runaway prosperity.  Of course, different colored doors, fenders, and tailgate will mean additional rounds for me.  Perhaps for a seasons pass I could even manage to locate a truck bearing to less than seven colors (not counting primer) a grill from one make on the body of another, and a rope slung across the rear in place of a tailgate.  Gun racks, squirrel tails on the antenna, and assorted bumper stickers verging on the vulgar will of course require a cash payment in addition to the golf referenced above.

Just think of me as always trying to be helpful.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

T_MacWood

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
Thank you Khris,
Your positive influence to so many golf courses may never be totally appreciated.

Thanks for being such a wonderful host.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2001, 01:57:00 AM »
Steve:

I love it!! You're my long lost cousin from the Ozarks, aren't you. I might be in touch real soon.

I hope those days aren't over for me because when I first got there over twenty years ago the inherent conservatism was more than I could deal with. But in the beginning I don't think some at the golf club quite knew what to make of me because on the one hand my grandfather was one of the conservative founders of the club that were a group out of the original Merion Cricket club golf course (NLE--eventually got Hugh Wilson to go build the new East and West courses). But before that a group split away from the originl Merion (too crowded) and started Gulph Mills G.C.

On the other hand my father couldn't take Philadelphia and moved to Florida at about 25 and became the proverbial follow the sun national amateur type who hung around with guys like Regan and Sanders and the Lafoon brothers (what a total riot they were!).

We ended up in Daytona Beach and as mentioned previously, guys like Fireball Roberts became my roll model. Fireball didn't exactly fit the conservative Philadelphia/GMGC mold!

Anyway, my Dad was a black sheep rebel and when I first got to GMGC I borrowed some of his golf shoes that were also pretty radical. One pair was an amazing black leather and red suede affair! He might have swiped them from Sanders! Back in those days there was also a black chopped 1932 Ford coupe complete with yellow flames around the hood I was dying to buy for GMGC's parking lot.

Anyway, I wore those red suede shoes around GMGC and the winces were visible and the muttering audible. But within the first week or so they were swiped out of the lookerroom!

You think somebody swiped them and burned them, don't you? Well, I know more about human nature than you do. I know for a fact one of the more conservative members of GMGC was seen and heard down in Mexico on a golf course high-stepping around in my red suede shoes saying; "Free at last, free at last, Thank GOD almighty, I'm free at last!!"

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2001, 04:52:00 AM »
Kudos to Khris Janauzik and alls she's done at Tufts. In all fairness to prior architects from the 1950s-1980s, there was no Ross material there in any usable or signficant form for them to consult with. Until Khris (and the late W. Pete Jones) started their work, the Ross material was scattered.

Ross' secretary, Eric Nelson, burned much of the papers and letters after Ross' death in April 1948 - upon specific written instruction by Ross to his lawyer, Shorty Carr.

Not that RTJones and others would have cared. In retrospect, RTJ Sr. was arrogant, contemputuous of golf lore and tradition, and was an intolerable ego-maniac who would never have even glanced, much less paid attention to, old plans.

Sad. But that's reversing now, thanks in part to people like Khris.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Attn. B. Crosby

Have you checked on old aerials shot of the area?  Without all the trees grown, they could be revealing.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back