News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Cape Arundel?
« on: August 28, 2001, 04:45:00 AM »
What's the story with this Travis course? Are a lot of his design features still present? How long a drive is it from Boston?
A friend of Mat Burrows says it's almost as inspirational as Fishers and Yale!

Doug Wright

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
Ran,

Cape Arundel is in Kennebunkport about 2 hrs N of Boston. It's a short course, 5800 yds par 69. I played it an eon ago as a kid and as I recall it had a Scottsh links feel with holes along the Kennebunk River and very small greens. I'm sure others who live nearby can give you more details re desing features etc.--my memory of the course is otherwise lost in the mist of time.

Doug

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chip_Royce

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Ran;

Your timing's amazing. I might go up and play the course this weekend while visiting my in-law's in Maine.

I live north of Boston and have played arundel many times (most recently, on the day of my wedding).

Cape Arundel is in Kennebunk, Maine and is the home club of the Bush Family (the course is the one you may remember "Poppy" playing his infamous 2 hour rounds with the Secret Service.

It's semi-private, only 1 1/2 hours north of Boston and accomodates a large amount of public play.

From my semi-trained eye, the course *seems* pretty intact from its early roots. Yes, many of the greens are TINY with large undulations. The course really favors the bump-and-run on many holes - the greens often reject shots flown directly at the pin, although as with most US courses, the greens are softer than they were probably intended.

Not having played Fishers or Yale (yet), I can't comment on its inspirational"ness". The front 9, is very antique, well laid out and really is a throwback to the olden days of golf. The back 9, after crossing the river, is less interesting, although one tee-box is nestled on the grounds of a family cememtary.  

Although there are a few other well regarded tracks in the area, Silva's 'Links at outlook' and "the Ledges" (new course finalist), the course is definately worth a visit.

Let me know if you're in the area, would enjoy getting out and playing a round!

C

Gary Sherman

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
Ran,

I believe that Renaissance Golf did some restoration/remodeling at Cape Arundel in the mid 90's.  Perhaps Tom could give you some background.

If you are planning a trip up this way and plan to play it, there are some other untouched little gems that you may want to consider.  Prouts Neck is one.  Very private membership.  Course basically untouched since 1925.  I walked the course in the December last year with the super.  There are some wonderful oceanside holes.

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
I believe you will find that Bruce Hepner from Renaissance was involved in the work there.  

Ran, I live one town away, have played it many times and would be happy to offer my thoughts.  Indeed it is an interesting experience.  I would be happy to elaborate if you so desire.

Michael Moore

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Ran -

I tend to sell the Maine golf experience short on this site, so I am overwhelmed to hear Cape Arundel mentioned in the same breath with Fishers.

I play the course often, and it certainly has that "time machine" feel to it. I am sorry to say that while I can tell you that it is a mere 90 minutes north of Boston, and that seeing it as a featured course would be excellent, I am ignorant of its architectural history. My amateur's eye says that not much has changed since 1925.

GCA is always clamoring for a 5800 yard par 69, and this is the one. The longest hole is 490 yards, the terrain is interesting but mild, the bunkering is strategic but not overly penal, which leaves . . . the greens.

The contours on the Cape Arundel greens are unique in my limited experience. The "flatter" ones have subtle, unreadable breaks. The other ones are simply outrageous - shelves, dips, false fronts, false sides, swales, you name it. Get onto the correct side of the fairway, and keep it below the hole.

HOLES OF NOTE

5 - 320 yards for two shots, 270 as the crow flies. Touring pros (Love, Couples) who stop by for a round with the Bush family never cease to amaze by driving this green, carrying a nasty hazard and two bunkers en route.

8 - 370 yards, straightforward tee shot, although anything not dead center leaves a nasty approach to a green that resembles a wrecked automobile.

10 - 320 yards, long iron over the road, wedge to a green that falls off six feet left and back, very deep bunker right, and of course the pin is always on the four-yard long back shelf

17 - 365 yards, again a wide-open tee shot, but the green is located blindly at the bottom of a steep hill in front of the twenty-foot high directional pole, and the back of it flows down from the front in the form of a five-foot tall dividing ridge - unbelievable

While Cape Arundel is always a treat, I have to say that I prefer a lesser known but equally ancient and strategic course right around the corner, the Webhannet Golf Club. Can anyone provide any information on this one? Like the architect, for starters?

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Peter Galea

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
Michael,
For info on Webhannet click the link. http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/yorkstar/ys7_4_s1.htm
"chief sherpa"

ForkaB

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
Michael

Yahoo says Walter Travis/1897 for Cape Arundel and Skip Wogan/1913 (Who?) for Webhannet.

CA sounds like the Down East version of Painswick!

Ed_Baker

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
Mike,

The architect at Webhannet was Skip Wogan,Cornish and Robinson later remodeled 4 holes.

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
Michael,

Webhannet Golf Club celebrated 100 years this season.  I the current 18 dates to 1913.  The architect of the record is Eugene "Skip" Wogan, (from Essex in Manchester, MA) with ties to Donald Ross.  In the past few years I done some work there.  It is an enjoyable play.    

Ed_Baker

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Rich,

Eugene "Skip Wogan" was the asst. pro and greenskeeper under Donald Ross at Essex.He suceeded Ross in 1913 and stayed in the position for life. He designed courses on the side,one of his better known courses is Sankaty Head on Nantucket.

He also designed the little 9 holer in my hometown of Needham Ma.

Michael Moore

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
Is Skip Wogan related to Phil Wogan, who designed several courses in Maine?(Bucksport, Val Halla, Natanis)
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
Phil is his son.

Ed_Baker

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
Michael,

Yup,he's Phils Dad.
The other two sons Louis and Richard became golf course contractors.

Phil was a highly educated man who taught biology for awhile at the High School level working with his dad on the side.After Skips death in the late 50's Phil went in to design full time. I believe with his background in biology he became somewhat of an authority on the relationship of the environment and golf courses. i think he wrote something on the subject for the ASGCA.
Maybe Jeff Brauer can confirm.

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Ed - you are correct and certainly knowledgeable about the Wogans.  One item in your earlier post is off just a little however - at Webhannet Geoff Cornish did but one green site.  Otherwise I am impressed!

Michael Moore

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
William Bradley Booth - great to have you on the site and I love the new course in Gray. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about Maine golf, and keep up the good work.

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
Thank you Michael.  I have to say I find these discussion groups very interesting.  I hope to be able to engage in some discusions from time to time and offer my thoughts.

Ed_Baker

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2001, 04:08:00 PM »
Thank you Mr. Booth and welcome.

Phil Wogan also did some excellent courses in Massachusetts,Halifax (where the Cronin is played)and Pembroke come to mind.

Doug Wright

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Have any of you played Cape Neddick CC in Ogunquit? I played the original 9 (Donald Ross) holes many years ago as a kid, and if I'm recalling the right course there were lots of rock outcroppings and small fun greens. I've read that Brian Silva added an additional 9 holes during the 1990s following Ross's design philosophy.

Ed_Baker

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
Doug,

In Ogunquit? Was it originally called Cliff CC maybe? Don't know, its been 25 years since I was up there.

Daniel_Wexler

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2001, 06:36:00 PM »
Yes, it was originally called Cliff CC.

Mike_Cirba

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
Just to let you fellows know, I'm really enjoying hearing about all of these wild, natural courses existing in upper New England.

Makes me wish I had known more than Samoset during my only visit to Maine.  

Also, if you guys don't have the coolest names for golf courses on the planet, I don't know who does!  

Doug Wright

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2001, 05:55:00 AM »
Daniel,

Yes I guess it was Cliff CC back then. Have you played it since the Silva 9 was added?

Doug

Daniel_Wexler

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
Sadly I haven't been back to New England in over 10 years (after going to college in VT and working in NH) so no, I haven't seen the new holes.  Actually, according to Bob Labbance (a thoroughly reputable source), the place was named the Cliff CC because of a local hotel called the Cliff House.  Ross apparently spruced up an existing nine relatively early, then nine more were added (and quickly lost) just before WWII.  I assume that Silva's holes are brand new and not related to the abandoned ones...but I couldn't say for sure.

W. Bradley Booth

Cape Arundel?
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
Daniel you are correct.  The new nine holes and existing nine are nothing like the course Ross worked on prior to WW II.  The course closed during the war because it was located on Shore Road.  Fears of German submarines cursing the waters off New England promoted the military to close the road.  

I do know the course very well, but I will not comment on another architects, (contemporary), work as a matter of my own professional ethics.  Possibly someone else who has played there recently can offer an opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back