News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

What is Raynor's biggest set of greens as they exist today?
« on: October 06, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
I know Yeamans Hall's greens are around 144,000 square feet in total size.

Are Yale's bigger? What about Camargo, headlined by its mammoth 4th green?!

I am looking through my Chicago GC club history book and those greens look MASSIVE - wonder how big they are??

Any other ideas? Lookout Mountain's will be up there once they reclaim to the edge of the fill pads.

How big are Macdonald's greens at NGLA in terms of total square footage? I believe I read the answer once in an article by Jeff Mingay but I've forgotten the number.

Did Macdonald/Raynor consistently average the biggest greens (and no one say The Almighty beat them at St. Andrews   )? Wonder how big Royal Melbourne's and Augusta's are?

Cheers,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
Ran,

Now that you made me think of it, with the exception of the 1st, 12th, 16th and 18th green, the greens at NGLA seem very large.

George_Bahto

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
Ran: I think Yale would be the biggest greens followed by Chicago GC's as a group - I don't know the sq footage of them though.

How about this question: which single Raynor Macdonald greens are the largest?????

Most of them were his double plateau and Short hole greens I would say.

At NGLA I think it would be 10-green now but the original Eden green (#13) may have originally been the largest

(little know fact about NGLA: the 9th and the 18th were once about double the present size but they were going thru a Macdonald-transition of rebuild.   For those who know the course well, the 19th was all the way down to those bunkers on the left approach - same with 9-green).

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike_Rewinski

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
I think that the greens at Fisher's Island are consistently bigger than those at the National, but I don't know about any of the other courses around the rest of the country.

Pete Adams

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
Ran: I did a little digging for you re: Chicago Golf's greens. However, I don't know where they rank in terms of total size for a Raynor/Macdonald course. The total size is 129,624 square feet (ave. 7,201) for the greens. The total for the approach areas is 18,246 (ave. 1,014). The largest greens are #7 (redan) 9,758, #1 9,048, #17 7,955, #11 7,829, #15 7,744, & #6 (road) 7,740. hope this helps. Pete

DNGoldie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2001, 03:28:00 AM »
StAndrews, Old are 35,000m2...and there's only 11 of them!

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2001, 03:58:00 AM »
Pete,

Thanks a bunch! Also, I would have thought that the Punchbowl 12th green would have been around 7,500 sq.ft. ?

FYI Did you know that the 9th green once extended much, much closer to the lake - it must have been gigantic - 15,000 sq.ft. or so!

I must confess that I'm surprised that Yeamans Hall's greens measure 15,000 sq. ft. more than Chicago's.

Cheers,

Pete Adams

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
Ran: Point of clarification, in my haste to catch my train last night I had a typo. The last green square footage I typed "#6 (road) 7,740" should be #2 (road) 7,740. The punchbowl #12 is only 6,646 sq. ft. and makes for a demanding 2nd shot. I have not heard about the original size of #9. I'm curious, how do you know?

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Pete, The extremely nice Head Professional showed me old photographs with the two highlights being the St. Andrews-isque GIGANTIC 9th green and how they once mowed almost a foot up the bank of the Punchbowl as part of the putting surface.

How big then is the Double Plateau green?? I can't believe its under 7,000 sq.ft.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back