News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

USGA at GCSAA Conference
« on: February 24, 2004, 09:11:29 PM »
I should have posted something a week ago when things were more fresh in my memory.

One of things that the USGA said during their GCSAA seminar was that some courses needed to reduce green contours to stay competitive. It was then explained that by competitive, they meant viable and marketable in terms of green speed. There was absolutely no talk about reduced green speeds to maintain original contours or interest, which I found kind of disturbing.

Did any of you other supers attend this session? Did I take their words out of context?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brad Klein

Re:USGA at GCSAA Conference
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 06:00:35 AM »
I asume you mean the USGA Green Section presentations at GCSAA in San Diego? If so, could you specify which speakers, as there were many.

Interestingly, at the GCSAA panel on Major Tournament Set Ups, Rees Jones said the most effective way to protect the integrity of course design, stratregy and par was to have more contour. He didn't talk much about green speeds, but in any case, the emphasis on the ground game was interesting - even if it isn't clear he practices what he preached..

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 08:00:08 AM »
Brad,

Yes, I was refering to the Green Section presentations, but until I get the proceedings from the conference, I'm afraid I've forgotten the name of the presenter. I'm thinking it was whoever preceded Bud White, but I can't be positive.

Sorry I'm not too clear on details. Do you recall any such statement towards the beginning of the presentation?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 08:37:36 AM »
Joe- As I recall other threads on this subject, we were led to believ that the usga didn't support the procedure, but offered the proper way to implement a plan if a course felt the need to soften their greens.

Did you get the impression that they were condoning the practice? or just providing an alternative solution to a perceived problem?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 07:40:07 PM »
Good evening, Adam,

My recollection was that they were stating courses needed to do this to stay in the game, so to speak. Of course, there is always wiggle room when it comes to perception and understanding, but it seemed quite clear that they were at least stating that this type of remodeling was neccesarry. I did find my program for the USGA Green Section presentation today, but carn it, I forgot it at work so I can't tell you who the speaker was. I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow.

Joe

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 09:33:48 AM »
I found the program:

2004 USGA Green Section Educational Conference

10:45-11:05  Construction or Renovation- Which Way Should I Go?

Paul Vermeulen, Director and Bud Whte, Senior Agronomist, Mid-Continent Region

Many courses are updating their greens to remain competitive. When it is your turn will you choose complete reconstruction or partial renovation?

The gist was that green speed is neccesarry to remain competitive.

Joe

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 11:43:09 AM »
I attended a Greens Speed Summit last evening in Tacoma WA led by Larry Gilhuly whose title is something like Western Greens Section Director of the USGA.  

He gives an interesting perspective on green speed changes over the last 20 years in the Pacific Northwest.  Basically green Speeds have gone from 6'-8' in 1977 to 10'6"-11' in 2003.  He is decrying the loss of great pin placements at places like Seattle Golf Club and Portland GC.  Growth of the game is flat because it is too difficult, Disease is rampant, speed of play has slowed to a crawl.  

With all of that evidence he is urging Supers, Green Committee chairs etc to dial the speed back "just a little".  He suggests 9'6" - 10'.  Throw away the stimp meter.  Tell members the speed is 10' no matter wht the real speed and fianlly get the PGA and USGA to begin an anti speed campaign (like that will happen).  

One super defended his 11+ speeds using the stability of handicaps as evidence.  It was pointed out that what 1/4 of all courses in the U.S. have been built in the last twenty years and have been built with relatively flat greens that allow for faster green speeds.  Resulting in a zero sum game.  

Just to give you an idea of where things are.....we had our winter tournament last Saturday.  The Super lowered the mowers to 115/1000ths, rolled and stimped at 11'3".  Over half the field was over 16 handicap.  What do you suppose the pace of Play was like?  Can you spell glacial?

Sounds like the USGA needs to get on the same page!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back