News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Glidewell

Tidewater/Kemper Sports
« on: August 21, 2023, 03:29:03 PM »
Kemper Sports just purchased Tidewater, which is one of the best public courses in the Myrtle Beach area (I think Tom Doak gave it a 6, but I'm not positive about that) -- they also purchased Streamsong earlier this year -- and they mentioned being on the lookout for other properties in the area.

As far as I know this is the first time any national golf company has gotten involved in the MB market. It's been almost entirely local, with the exception of some Chinese purchases/investments (which I think mainly happened during the 2009 era recession).

I find this interesting both from a Kemper Sports expansion standpoint and from a national investment in Myrtle Beach standpoint -- it makes me wonder if there's going to be a change in the MB market, at least for the higher end courses.

Peter Sayegh

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Tidewater/Kemper Sports
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 06:56:32 PM »
Kemper Sports just purchased Tidewater, which is one of the best public courses in the Myrtle Beach area (I think Tom Doak gave it a 6, but I'm not positive about that)
It gets a 5 from the three rankers that have played it in the CG.  There are a few other courses in Myrtle beach in the guide with higher rankings.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 08:41:11 PM »
I liked the holes, but the routing is unusual.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 12:36:43 AM »
It gets a 5 from the three rankers that have played it in the CG.  There are a few other courses in Myrtle beach in the guide with higher rankings.

A 5 sounds about right to me. Caledonia and the Dunes are definitely better, and some of the other private clubs are better. I also think it gets a boost from the scenery that most other Myrtle area courses don't offer.

Regardless, my interest was more in Kemper Sports (and national companies in general) moving into the Myrtle Beach market.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:29:00 AM by Edward Glidewell »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 08:00:05 AM »

Caledonia and the Dunes are definitely better, and some of the other private clubs are better. I also think it gets a boost from the scenery that most other Myrtle area courses don't offer.

Regardless, my interest was more in Kemper Sports (and national companies in general) moving into the Myrtle Beach market.
Personally, I'd also include True Blue and Grande Dunes over Tidewater.

I agree-and wonder-with you on this acquisition.

I don't believe this is the end of such transactions in the area.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 08:12:59 AM »
I think Tidewater has suffered more from building than almost any course I can think of.  I first played it shortly after it opened, and before much had been built along the margins of the course, and loved it, both for the golf and the beauty. 

If you play it now, it’s FEELS like a subdivision golf course.  I know that we should all be able to separate GCA from scenery, but it isn’t always easy.

That said, I’d still put Tidewater in the upper tier of MB courses.  Not among the best of the best, but probably top ten to 15 on The Strand?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back