News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Glenmoor Country Club in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, reopened in mid-June following a year-long renovation by Love Golf Design.
A 1985 creation from Pete Dye, with wife Alice and son Perry assisting, Glenmoor hadn’t undergone any changes since that time, but membership at the private club in suburban Denver concluded it was due for a refresh.
Led by Davis Love III, his brother Mark and lead architect Scot Sherman, the Glenmoor renovation was spurred by a need to replace aging infrastructure. The second goal was to make the course more challenging for the high-level player, while also being more playable for members and guests.
The project included a new irrigation water source, a new irrigation system, replacement of 2 miles of railroad tie bulkheads, new greens, 89 upgraded bunkers, some additional length, tee upgrades, cart path improvements and reintroducing a few bunkers that had been abandoned over time.
"What a unique Pete Dye design," said Mark Love, founder and president of Love Golf Design. "We are so pleased to help preserve and upgrade Pete’s unique course."
A new practice range and putting green accompanied the reopening of the 6,787-yard, par-71 golf course.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ross Harmon

Re: GlenmoorCC (Pete Dye,'85) in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »
I haven't played the "new" Glenmoor yet, but I hope they kept some of the more wild greens - such as the 3rd shaped by Jim Urbina

Tom_Doak

Re: GlenmoorCC (Pete Dye,'85) in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 07:28:54 AM »
I haven't played the "new" Glenmoor yet, but I hope they kept some of the more wild greens - such as the 3rd shaped by Jim Urbina

Actually, Rod Whitman was the project manager for that course and shaped a lot of the greens himself.

It was a terribly small, crowded site - if I remember the numbers correctly, 190 acres in all, including 105 large house lots!  The lots had to be one acre so the property lines were actually out into the fairways in places.

I have never told this story before out of respect for Pete and Perry, but now that they're both gone, I will.  Perry had signed his dad up for the deal and Pete was not too happy with the land plan.  He asked me to take a look at it and see if I could think of anything different.  I attended the press conference for the groundbreaking, at which Pete spoke of being excited to build a new course in the great Denver market, blah, blah.  When he came off the stage he asked Rod and me if we could meet him over in the construction trailer before he left, so we went over there to wait for him.

Ten minutes later, he comes in, and his direct quote was, "Tommy, can you figure out how to get 18 holes on this son of a bitch?  I don't think there's any way."

Rod did pretty well with it, considering.  And Davis sounds as good at press conferences as Pete was.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back