News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

"Bolton Council Rejects Hulton Park Course Scheme"
« on: February 25, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
Plans for development to host Ryder Cup rejected:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-60509352

Anybody know anything about this?

Adam Lawrence

Re: "Bolton Council Rejects Hulton Park Course Scheme"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:49 AM »
It was floated a couple of years ago. The ‘Ryder Cup’ thing was pure developer hype
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 12:50:47 PM »
Do you think so, Adam?

My understanding was that the course would likely only get built if it was on the back of the Ryder Cup getting awarded. And that it was a real contender.

But you may be closer to it than I am.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 03:31:07 AM »
The latest I read was that it was down to either this new development in Bolton or The London Club (in Kent).

The latter is - to my mind - uninspiring but a typical Ryder Cup venue in that there is plenty of space for hospitality, some holes with water etc. It's a Nicklaus course.

Bolton is about as unlikely a venue for the Ryder Cup as I can possibly think of.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 06:21:42 AM »
European Ryder Cup venues with Marco Simone Golf & Country Club and then Adare Manor aren't the ideal venues when you consider you have all of Europe to choose from. The last English venue was the Belfry in 2002. So if not awarded in 2031 to England, it would have to wait until 2035 or later! That is a bit shocking, considering the deep bench of courses that could be used. I know they want to spread the wealth in locations, which in reality is increasing the European Tour Group's coffers and nothing to do with selecting the best courses.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 07:08:12 AM »
European Ryder Cup venues with Marco Simone Golf & Country Club and then Adare Manor aren't the ideal venues when you consider you have all of Europe to choose from. The last English venue was the Belfry in 2002. So if not awarded in 2031 to England, it would have to wait until 2035 or later! That is a bit shocking, considering the deep bench of courses that could be used. I know they want to spread the wealth in locations, which in reality is increasing the European Tour Group's coffers and nothing to do with selecting the best courses.

Few of the best courses have the money, space and and legacy to throw their hat in the ring.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 05:02:48 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »
Adare Manor will be a great venue, though. The course ain’t too shabby either.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 04:39:21 AM »
As I understand that its either Hulton Park or the London Club to be England's bid for the 2031 Ryder Cup as there will be other countries bidding for it. I feel it is time for the Ryder Cup to go to Scandinavia

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back