News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Dissing Doak
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
Catchy, huh?

I am fond of Tom Doak.  A few years back I was fortunate to have him join me during my Erie Canal Tour.  We played Glens Falls, Onandaga and I was able to arrange access for him at Teugega.  We also enjoyed a couple of meals and I was pleased that he too rented a room at the Red Roof Inn near Syracuse - reflecting his down-to-earth manner and total lack of pretense.  I found him to be great company both on and off the golf course with a rusty but solid golf game featuring a little magic with the short stick.  Also a good, though slightly reserved conversationalist with a keen intellect.  Bottom line, I had this icon down as a regular guy - i.e., one of us.

Then yesterday I peruse the World Woods thread and am horrified to read his comment regarding Rolling Oaks:  "The land just didn't speak to me."  What?  I was crestfallen for this is not the Tom Doak I know.  I quickly rebounded by convincing myself that he was being sarcastic.  I then I read about his Gordian Knot criticism of the 100 to 150 yards green to tee walks at Pine Barrens, remembering full well that it's a good 130 yards from the 13th green to 14th tee at Pacific Dunes and back-tracking at that!

It's hurtful to have thought Tom was one of us, when in fact it turns out he's one of them! What's next?  Abandoning Golf Club Atlas and hanging out full time at Max's Lounge?  I am now ashamed of my patronizing gushing about Tumble Creek and Quail Crossing - all for naught.  Oh well, at least I've still got Ben and Bill.  Can anyone set up a lunch?

Merry Christmas anyway, Tom.

Bogey

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:04:36 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

Re: Dissing Doak
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:49:23 PM »
So distraught that I double-clutched.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:05:29 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
Yeah, it was a kinda pretentious way of saying I just didn’t want the job.  I was trying to do an “It’s not you, it’s me” thing.

Even at that, someone took it as me ragging on the property of the project or the original design or something, because they’ve read what a “difficult” person I am.  ;)

Tell Bill I said hello, but good luck on trying to get him to play golf with you for three days!  :D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
Yeah, it was a kinda pretentious way of saying I just didn’t want the job.  I was trying to do an “It’s not you, it’s me” thing.

Even at that, someone took it as me ragging on the property of the project or the original design or something, because they’ve read what a “difficult” person I am.  ;)

Tell Bill I said hello, but good luck on trying to get him to play golf with you for three days!  :D

Perhaps you could give us your hole-by-hole match play of Pine Barrens v. Rolling Oaks.  ;D
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »
Boge - that's hysterical!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 01:37:26 PM »
Maybe we can do it one day per year, sort of like "whacking day" on some old Simpson's episode, LOL. ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
After dissing me, you finally got around to dissing Tom.

All is forgiven.

Garland
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
I guess Mr Doak now picks to choose the best jobs one wonders whether he would take this job 20 years ago.

Or whether it has been passed onto one of his disciples to give them the opportunity to do their standalone project

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
So distraught that I double-clutched.
Double clutch and a "stutter step"
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
After dissing me, you finally got around to dissing Tom.

All is forgiven.

Garland

If you met Garland in real life you wouldn’t want to diss him  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
I guess Mr Doak now picks to choose the best jobs one wonders whether he would take this job 20 years ago.

Or whether it has been passed onto one of his disciples to give them the opportunity to do their standalone project

Ben:

I don’t get to choose who designs the projects I turn down, though I was asked for recommendations, and included three of my former interns on that list.  The RGD guys are pretty tied up the next couple of years between my jobs and some of their own.

I have been turning down (or just not pursuing) jobs I didn’t think I was a good fit for since 1988, when I had one course to my name.  I am not one of those dudes who talks about “branding” but a very big part of your reputation is based on the jobs you pass on.  I figured that out pretty quickly watching Perry Dye take on dumb projects.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »
I've always thought it must stink to be Tom Doak. Everyone and his brother wants you to see their course or their budding project, which they are absolutely in love with, but to understand why "you had to be there". And if you weren't, then it's just an ok-ish course or even one that sucks. So after looking at it, you have to talk to those people, who obviously love the game and who haven't hurt anyone and who really have the best of intentions. And you want to be polite, because these are nice people, but you also don't want to lie, because you have a professional reputation.

Occasionally I faced a small version of this dilemma, when I was invited to some place and I've made it a point since to wriggle out of those invitations unless I am pretty sure this is a good course and I can praise it afterwards. Just imagining I would have to go through this week in, week out - like I suspect Tom does. Not fun and afterwards they're calling you reserved or "he doesn't say anything unless we pay him".
So, of course it would be great to be Tom for many reasons, but it would also stink for others :)
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »
Ulrich,

Many years ago, I think we had a thread on "intentionally vague" compliments, which you might find fun and useful to dig up.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back