News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Please Comment on This Green
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
I'm guessing the line of play is from the left of the green.  I don't see an issue with it, why can't a few greens here and there be small targets.  The green at Riv 10 is damn elusive and it usually gets high praise on GCA.

P.S.  Joe your website is not secure and when I open your pics I get browser warnings.  Tommy hosted it on Photobucket, which is a secure site, even if its not the greatest hosting site otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:00:06 AM by Kalen Braley »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
Really crap.

How so? Not that you’re wrong.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Thurman

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
I'm a sucker for clay-soiled pasture links in the shoulders-deep South. I tend to love greens like this. I think they work - small targets, crowned on at least a few sides... I always wish greens that look like this played a little firmer a little more often. Fair in this case?

How is this oriented to the line of play? Kalen's picturing approaches from the left, I'm picturing them coming from the direction of that tongue on the right side.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 12:19:02 PM »
very pretty cloud formation

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
Bogey, can we please see a shot of the putting surface from the other side of the stage line? Maybe one from back down the fairway  and one behind also? Pretty hard to comment on a green complex until I walk 360 degrees around it - and consider how it ties in with the rest of the geometry from the tee.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »
Jason, as firm as it gets.

Gib, the flag is extremely back right. More pics to follow. Btw, huge fan of Harp Lager.

Cheers, Bogey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
Reminiscent of the 13th at Westward Ho! excepting the trees in the background and the less than tightly mown grass on the downslopes surrounding the putting surface.
Atb

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
3 more pics Mike asked to be posted:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Hoak

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »
Not showing up, Joe.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2021, 04:26:12 PM »
Not showing up, Joe.

It ain't my fault!  Grin.

Change browsers, or better yet, change your operating system.  ;-)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
The green seems to have gotten much smaller.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
Thank you Joe.

This hole plays from 290 to 315 yards. The first photo is from about 200 yards out.  The hole moves gradually uphill for 200 yards.  At the crest one has a flat lie and full swing with the putting surface visible. The next 50 yards are slightly downhill, leaving an awkward downhill lie to an uphill approach. The final 50 yards are dead flat but leave a dicey uphill pitch.

Any approach short will have a dead bounce and trundle back down the hill. The green is 80 feet at it’s widest and 60 feet deep in the center.  With the exception of a full wedge any pitch landing halfway back is over as the greens are extremely firm. In other words the golfer has about 10 yards of depth to work with on an uphill shot.

Back in the 70’s I thought about this hole early in the round, knowing it would likely be the difference maker in shooting par of 36.

This is the 7th at my beloved (in the truest meaning of the word).  Rolling Hills CC in Ripley, TN - a cotton field when the course was built in 1970.

I don’t expect you to like it but offer it as an example of quirky, awkward and challenging design that surely exists in small town America that you’ll never experience - or even want to.

I’m 63 and dreamed the other night that  I was showing Rory around the course. He loved it by the way. You would too.

Cheers.

Mike Hendren

MCirba

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
The green seems to have gotten much smaller.

Ok, Firefox seems to have enlarged the target.  ;)

John Kirk

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
This photo is clickable to a larger size.

It appears that any approach (or chip) shot that goes one yard past this hole location goes over the back, and is left with a very difficult up and down.  Also, any approach shot played conservatively the left half of the green may still have to deal with the treacherous falloff.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »
It is a wee green. I'm very excited by the clouds.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »
Bogey,

After watching the Houston Open today, looks like this green would fit in perfect there. And it almost certainly looks more doable than 15, that hole looks terrifying on the tube...

P.S.  I like what i see so far, even if I wouldn't want 18 holes of it...

MCirba

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2021, 08:29:04 AM »
Bogey,

I like it a lot.

There was once a cool thread here about unexpected great holes on otherwise unknown golf courses.  This would fit in nicely, thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back