News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

Re: Fishers Island: A Pictorial!!! (2nd proposed Raynor routing added)
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
There is no doubt about it. . .
Fishers is, without question, my #1 want to see/play course in America.
I am absolutely in love with everything that I imagine that course to be.
Thanks so much for posting!

-Ted

Jed Peters

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Ah, to be childless.

Jed,

Mike Brady (aka JMS) didn't seem to have a problem...

Ahem, he doesn't ACTUALLY work.

He has brothers and daddy to run shit and he just gets to cash the checks.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »
Correct, and yes Jed, they were top of the class at St. Marys..... :-X

I keep waiting to play Del Paso, the phone never rings.

Tears taste like salt.

- Deiter
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jed Peters

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
the phone never rings.

That's a 2 way street big boy.

I gave up the game after playing with you. Too much pressure to try to play the ground game on every shot.

Hugs.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »
I take that as a compliment....

Note that at Fisher's they confiscate all clubs with a higher loft than a 4 iron upon arrival.

Will keep you posted as to my upcoming travels to the area, you bring the beard this time.....
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Brad Engel

Re: Fishers Island: A Pictorial!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »

I just made my first visit to Fisher’s and discovered this thread as I was searching our group’s collective wisdom to compare notes. As I read the Fisher’s history book, I found the picture that Kyle shared and it got me wondering if anyone has attempted to create some sort of virtual build of Raynor’s proposed 2nd course. Given the amount of dirt that Raynor typically moved to create his greens, it would be impossible to imagine what those would have looked like, but with the abundance (I assume) of digitized topographic information, sophisticated landscape architecture software and an abundance of armchair architects, it would be interesting to see what folks could come up with using Raynor’s original routing for the 2nd course.

On a separate note, having also played and read about Yeaman’s Hall this summer, another Olmstead-Raynor project with grander visions for a 2nd course that was also derailed by the Depression, it made me think about how much of success in life (however you define it) is way more dependent on luck and timing that most would probably care to admit. Obviously Fisher’s and Yeaman’s are two highly regarded tracks, but given what Raynor did with his first attempt at each location, who's to say if it had been a few years earlier before the Depression hit, he would not have created two more world renowned courses, further elevating his stature in the game

A rendering of the proposed 2nd course at Fishers Island (with apologies for the deficient reproduction quality).

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2021, 09:00:19 AM »

I just made my first visit to Fisher’s and discovered this thread as I was searching our group’s collective wisdom to compare notes. As I read the Fisher’s history book, I found the picture that Kyle shared and it got me wondering if anyone has attempted to create some sort of virtual build of Raynor’s proposed 2nd course. Given the amount of dirt that Raynor typically moved to create his greens, it would be impossible to imagine what those would have looked like, but with the abundance (I assume) of digitized topographic information, sophisticated landscape architecture software and an abundance of armchair architects, it would be interesting to see what folks could come up with using Raynor’s original routing for the 2nd course.

On a separate note, having also played and read about Yeaman’s Hall this summer, another Olmstead-Raynor project with grander visions for a 2nd course that was also derailed by the Depression, it made me think about how much of success in life (however you define it) is way more dependent on luck and timing that most would probably care to admit. Obviously Fisher’s and Yeaman’s are two highly regarded tracks, but given what Raynor did with his first attempt at each location, who's to say if it had been a few years earlier before the Depression hit, he would not have created two more world renowned courses, further elevating his stature in the game

A rendering of the proposed 2nd course at Fishers Island (with apologies for the deficient reproduction quality).

Brad-You can add Yale as another Mac/Raynor project that was supposed to have a second course with the drawing on display in the hallway leading to the grill. I’ve dared to dream almost every time I see it as to what the second course would have been.

Brad Engel

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »

Noted! Any chance you have a picture of the proposed routing of the 2nd course at Yale?
[/size]
Brad-You can add Yale as another Mac/Raynor project that was supposed to have a second course with the drawing on display in the hallway leading to the grill. I’ve dared to dream almost every time I see it as to what the second course would have been.

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 06:20:25 PM »

Noted! Any chance you have a picture of the proposed routing of the 2nd course at Yale?

Brad-I don’t have a picture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back