News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Toyo Shirai
« on: November 16, 2003, 09:44:57 PM »
I did not know Mr. Shirai, but learned that he has passed away in Hawaii just recently. He apparently designed Wailua Municipal GC in Honolulu. Did he ever complete any other courses that anyone knows of?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Toyo Shirai
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 11:30:39 PM »
Forrest,
There's a nine hole course called Kukuiolono, also on Kaua'i, which was built by Toyo Shirai.
A friend who lives there says he was one of the best loved figures in the Hawaiian golf world.

He didn't know of any other courses, at least ones on Kaua'i, that Toyo Shirai may have built.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 03:25:41 AM »
Forrest,
Count me as one that has played Wailua GC--lauded as one of the busiest courses in all of golf.

The one and only time I played the course was in January 1983, which after playing 18 holes at Billy Bell Jr's Makaha Valley, I felt the need for another 18; walking it in under 4 hours, playing by myself.

The course was virtually empty as it was an late/early Saturday afternoon/evening. I was told that I was never going to finish nine holes. But I did get it all in, and it was just the normal flat muni course that plays near or around the Ala Wai Channel. Nothing special that I can remember.

The coincidence in this is today I was at my local golf store, and the guys started talking about the course, which they were amazed I played in under 4 hours. The rounds there usually last about 6 to 6 1/2! And that is no joke.

The thing is practically on hotel row in Wakiki, and I actually walked to and from the Halikalani carrying my clubs.

All my best,
The Big Kahuna

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 08:54:43 AM »
Not to be nit-picky here guys...but either you've got the course name wrong, are talking about the wrong island, or I'm really halucinating about my previous trips to the islands!

Wailua Municipal Golf Course is on the Eastern side of the island of Kauai right near their airport...NOT on the island of Oahu.

Try again fellas!  :o ??? :-[ :-\
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Allan Long

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 09:11:47 AM »
Evan,

You are correct. Wailua is right by the airport, not too far from the Kauai Lagoons resort. One tidbit about Kukuiolono--although it is only a somewhat-ragged 9-holer, it is only $7 to play--and that's an all-day green fee. It is a pleasant course, not on anyone's top-100 list, but where else are you going to get those ocean views for $7 a day.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 10:38:12 AM »
Evan,
Give 'em a break. With Waialae, Waieau, Waikele, Waikoloa, Wailea and Waimea golf courses inhabiting the Islands it's not hard to see where Wailua might get lost in the mix.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 10:57:30 AM »
I've also played Wailua on Kauai.  Not bad, but not as good as it was made out to be when GD had it among the Top 25 Affordable.  Definitely top 25 in location (one or two holes on the ocean, with plenty of views), but not in architecture - although GD's lists weren't/aren't necessarily about that anyways....

The course Tommy is referring to is Ala Wai, I believe.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 11:01:51 AM »
Thank you Scott, I'm glad at least one Kahuna has got it right.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 11:22:15 PM »
Well, eeexxxxcccccuuuusssseeeeeee me!  :-X :'(
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back