News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:The / Your Ideal first hole ?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2003, 07:40:29 PM »
Sean:

All I'm saying is you do hit practice shots sort of down the first hole but you don't hit them from the first hole's tee markers. The practice range at Somerset Hills is really no different--you think you're in a war zone if people are practicing until you get out of range on the first half of #10 and I think #4.

Hanse did do the restoration at Apawamis and yes I do know something about it.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2003, 08:52:43 PM »
Hmmm.

Since the best first hole is too easy, I think a few other first hole categories should be considered.

Worst First Hole: 1st at Riverton in Rochester, NY. This might be the longest nine holer in the country. The first is a 575 boomerang which bends around the Genesee River on the left. There is no bailout right with a lake and bunkers. The green is borderline ridiculous ( I don't say that much ;) )

Weirdest First Hole: Silver Lake in Perry, NY. 220 yards, blind with OB right (!) and long. 18 is a par three as well.

Best: First at OHCC west. 377 yards. Downhill diagonal carry over dicey rough. Anyone can hit out to the left, but they have a poor angle to a green which is has a high left tier. The hole (especially the green) is fitting start to an engaging layout.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2003, 09:18:28 PM »
I can't believe that Scott Burroughs hasn't chimed in about that drive and a pitch opener they have at his home club, Wake Forest Golf Club....???

JNC Lyon

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2003, 09:23:32 PM »
 I believe they had an article in a Golf Journal which mentions the 1st at WFGC. 711 yards :o :o I have heard they give bag tags to those who par it.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2003, 10:22:27 PM »
In the interest of "getting play moving" I think the first hole should be a par 5 that is over 550 yards with a bail out area to the right of the green.

Short (under 330 yards) par 4's and par 3's are no no's

The second hole should not be a par three.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2003, 10:55:53 PM »
No par 3s.  Short par 4 is alright ONLY if does not allow going for it as any kind of a reasonable option for anyone and thus everyone has to lay up (but I still won't like it)  Par 5 is no good because short 5s will delay play as people wait to go for it in two and long par 5s are no good because its just cruel for those of us who arrive at the course 5 minutes before our tee times and warm up with 3 quick practice swings :)

I'd say a medium distance par 4, say 370 from the regular tees and 410 from the tips, that allow either a driver or a shorter club depending on what club you feel more comfortable with off the first tee.  It shouldn't be too tight, and lost balls or OB should require a pretty awful shot.  The green shouldn't be too tough, otherwise you'll wait forever for the group ahead to putt out while they figure out the speed.  Save your wild greens for 2-18, please!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2003, 04:01:42 AM »
Dick Kirkpatrick,

Then you won't like Garden City Golf Club, Shinnecock, Bandon Dunes and Prairie Dunes  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2003, 07:45:12 AM »
Pat:

Didn't you forget NGLA's #2? Yeah, I know it's called a par 4 but for a field of good players in effect it plays like a par 3. Matter of fact probably more problematic because if the players don't have a caddie and since it's blind how in the hell do they know when to hit it from the 2nd tee. Does NGLA's #2 green-end need a bell?

I can't remember where I saw this but at some point this year I saw a hole that actually had a red light/green light on the tee!! It reminded me of some of the entrances I've seen recently on some of these super crowded highways!!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2003, 09:28:32 AM »
Interesting comments form the group here...

I'm not necessarily sure that the first hole must set up the rest of the course (as in introduction), but it does make good sense.  I think that at the very least the first hole should "get you off and rolling" but may not "spring" the rest of the course on you right away...tipping the hand as it were.

That being said, an opening hole the gets the blood pumping can be an exhilarating wake-up call that gets you focused and ready for the task at hand.

Some examples of openers the get the blood pumping right away...
* Princeville Prince
* Prestwick
* TOC

Some examples of openers that set the tone for the rest of the holes/round...
* Bethpage Black
* Tobacco Road (could fall into both categories, I guess)
* World Woods Pine Barrens
* Dubuque Golf & Country Club (my home course!)
* Chicago Golf Club
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2003, 11:24:34 AM »
TEPaul,

Dellwood has a red-green light on the tee of a par 5 that traverses a road, from an elevated tee.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2003, 05:35:41 PM »
Dick Kirkpatrick,

Then you won't like Garden City Golf Club, Shinnecock, Bandon Dunes and Prairie Dunes  ;D

My Canadian made Model T Ford has not made it to all those courses yet.

I would probablly like them, I know of their reputation but I still don.t think the second hole should be a par 3.

I know of many courses that have the second hole as a 3, and they ALL back up there.

In the interest of keeping golf under 4 hours, the second hole should be a testy par 4.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2003, 05:54:11 PM »
No par three second? Won't like Kingsley either.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

TEPaul

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2003, 08:07:02 AM »
I'm not real sure that a backup on a second hole par 3 really does add to the total time of a golf round. Think about it--why would that be exactly? What if that same par 3 was later in the round--what is there about that that makes it not back up. All there is about that is the group behind is probably just not right up on the group ahead as they tend to be after only one hole and frankly that's the way a round of golf goes in almost all cases (the following group is generally not pressing your back all day). I don't think a par 3 2nd hole really does add time at all to a total round, it just seems like it does! I sure have done enough tournament officiating pacing (off a total round grid broken down into individual hole times) to believe that to be true.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2003, 08:34:31 AM »
TEPaul,

One only has to look at GCGC, with a driveable par 4 first hole and a 137 yard par 3 second hole to see that it doesn't hinder pace of play or the overall length of the round.

I think those factors tend to be cultural, rather then based on the configuration of the holes.  Fast play has to be systemic, not sporadic in order to work for a golf course.

James Edwards

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2003, 09:10:26 AM »
Gentlemen..

In my view, the first hole should beable to accommodate the Driver from all categories of player off all the tees and the approach, partially protected either at the front or the sides.

sub note: I also like the idea of the first tees playing away from the front windows of the clubhouse where the pressure off the first tee plays a factor into the design.  Another factor/reason why the opening shot IMO should be free of trouble along it's center axis especially on the big occasion.

Good examples of this which I have experienced:

TOC of course.  The tee shot is said to be the easiest in golf!  I totally disagree.  

1.The angle of approach is essential to the success of the approach.. Especially when the pin is located at the front!
2.The pressure of the first tee shot.  The enormity of the experince / occasion!  Wondering whether any R&A members are watching from the windows.  The announcement of 'Play Away please gentlemen'

Littlestone Golf Club (Kent, England) another excellent short opener.

In the States, Maidstone GC would also come in the same category of excellent openers.
@EDI__ADI

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2003, 10:46:26 AM »
JJSE,

The first tee on the Upper at Baltusrol is right beneath the dinning room windows, but, by far, the most intimidating tee shot has to be the first tee at Merion, hard by the patio.

As you prepare to hit away, the chatter, and sounds of those serving and eating fade to a dead silence, and suddenly, you realize that you are the sole focus of everyone's attention.

This awareness can be frightening.

But, after you've hit away, and are walking down the fairway,
you gain an additional perspective with regard to those who were watching you, one of courtesy and manners as exhibited by the dinners who were kind enough to pause, so as not to distract or disrupt the golfer teeing off.

I think the first tee at Merion is one of the most unique spots in all of golf.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2003, 11:51:16 AM »
The first at Columbia in Chevy Chase, MD is very unique as is the 10th or 1st at Burning Tree.  My recollection of Columbia is that as you leave the golf shop/bag room you are facing the first hole fairway  and the tee is on your right.  I played Burning Tree a few years ago and I don't remember if we started at 1 or 10 but it felt like you were in the lunch room when you were teeing off as there was a large plate glass window at ground level directly behind you and you were on display for those eating.

I really enjoyed the opening hole at Pine Valley although my host, who is a 1 handicap, put his shot in the trees and took an 8 which ruins the rest of the round.  Plainfield's opening hole is memorable as you had better put your ball in the proper position or face one heck of a putt.  I have said before that I think that number 1 at Galloway is a good opening hole as it is of moderate length, and has a very difficult green complex which is common to many of the holes on the course and the view of the bay and Atlantic City really puts a very positive tone on the day.  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2003, 12:03:43 PM »
I can put forward a solid "worst" opening hole candidate --

the 1st at Mount Airy Lodge (Poconos area / Pennsy). The hole is an straight uphill par-5 (about 560 yards from the tips). But things get better (worse). After you hit a good tee shot you then have to be really careful because there's a hidden pond that's in play.

Let me put it this way taking San Juan hill was a breeze compared to this hole. There have been back-ups that would blow anyone's day before you get going.

Truly an inspirational hole ... ::)

James Edwards

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2003, 06:40:51 PM »
Patrick,

Thoroughly agreed.  

I have got to say, although I hate the waiting eyes of the next group, the clubhouse eyes of the secretarys office, the professional eyes of the pro shop etc, I always figure out a way to play away from the clubhouse.  It adds to the course IMO (and is a good method of management if not anything else.)

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to walk Merion last August with the Head Greenkeeper Mr Shaffer and he exclusively pointed out your thoughts about the first tee shot and it's proximity to the patio.

I must say, it is a fine example and one that slipped my mind..  So I would readily swap Merion with Maidstone as I agree it may just be better.  

As a Brit, I feel I am fortunate to have experienced many of the East Coasts finest courses. Out of those I visited I struggled to find many first tee shots as daunting as Merion, or TOC with regards to proximity to the eyes of the clubhouse.    

@EDI__ADI

III

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2003, 07:47:25 PM »
My ideal hole would be a simple par 4 to get the golfers confidence up and also get play moving.  The best 1st hole I have ever played is at Barton Creek Lakeside in Austin, TX.  Your first shot is from an elevated tee, if you hit it good you are left with about 100 yds in to a medium sized green that slopes from back to front.

DPL11

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2003, 07:53:20 PM »
I agree that Manufacturers' 1st hole is a great starter. Nothing gets me more pumped for golf than looking down at the fairway from a 100' up, and ripping it.

DPL11

Jay Carstens

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2003, 08:13:31 PM »
HS Colt from Sutton's 'Book of the Links':

"Personally, I like a fairly long, plain-sailing hole for the first one, and think that a short hole is out of place, as if it is a good one it ought to be difficult, and it seems unfair to ask much of a man who has just stepped out of a train or motor-car.  A couple of long holes at the commencement get the players away from the first tee, and this is desirable from a secretary's point of view as if his members cannot start, they always become critical and impatient."

Play the course as you find it

Jay Carstens

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2003, 09:45:51 PM »
More Colt:
"The first thing to do is to settle upon the site for the clubhouse, and this occasionally presents great difficulty.  I always favour a fine view from the club windows, and have more than once done battle over this with those favouring only the utilitarian side--such points as nearness to the railway station or very easy access; but these matters have, or course, to be considered carefully, and it's no good perching a clubhouse on a crow's nest.
If the clubhouse site is settled, it is obviouly an easy matter to select the first tee; and if the tenth tee is anywhere near, it is of advantage, especially for a club to be used by business men, as there will be two starting points, and in clubs of this description, where a large number arrive about the same time, this is an important matter."
Play the course as you find it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back