News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Hawai‘i Island’s oldest golf course reopens for play
« on: April 05, 2022, 11:43:58 AM »

The Volcano Golf Course is now open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Kama‘āina rates for a walking round of golf are $36 on weekdays and $40 on weekends (Friday – Sunday). Clubs and push carts are available for rent.  Golf course staff will serve golfers from a temporary mobile office and grab-n-go snack and drink stand while landowner Kamehameha Schools explores options to construct a new clubhouse.

Volcano Golf Course closed in early 2020 as the result of a legal dispute between Kamehameha Schools and the previous operator of the course. That owner, which was leasing the property from Kamehameha Schools, dissolved shortly after the first COVID emergency measures were imposed, terminated its contract, and threatened to destroy the course entirely rather than relinquish it to the trust.
After a legal dispute, the property was returned to Kamehameha Schools, which searched for a replacement operator.
“Indigo came in after we regained possession of the property,” said Kamehameha Schools spokeswoman Crystal Kua, explaining that the company has been maintaining the grounds ever since.
Although Kamehameha Schools had been seeking for another operator to lease the property, Kua said they ultimately decided that not leasing the course again was “the right thing for the property.”
When the golf course reopens, Hirano said golfers can expect the course itself to be the same as they remember, although there will be “pared-down” facilities available.

https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2022-03-31/hawaii-islands-oldest-golf-course-reopens-for-play

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2022/02/27/hawaii-news/volcano-golf-course-slated-to-reopen-on-march-31/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:46:04 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Johnson

Re: Hawai‘i Island’s oldest golf course reopens for play
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 05:20:32 PM »
Actually been there and looked around, no kidding, maybe 10 years ago.  From what I could see I'd call it rustic.  Be sure to check on what's happening with Kilauea before you book your trip.

Brad Tufts

Re: Hawai‘i Island’s oldest golf course reopens for play
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 05:44:21 PM »
When the latest spate of eruptions happened a few years ago, there was a famous photo of golfers playing with billowing black smoke in the background, which made the rounds on the mainland with a "look at these callous golfers, playing a game while their neighbors houses burn!" tone.

My immediate thought was that the course had been open for 100 years with billowing smoke in the area daily...it was just a regular day at Volcano GC! 

Lava destruction is no joke, but when you build your house on lava that was fresh in the last century, maaaayybe that wasn't the best idea.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back