News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

A course you are satisfied to see only as a spectator
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
I went to a 2019 Players Championship practice round and I can appreciate the emphasis on both difficulty and strategy for the best players. That said I don’t feel compelled to go back and play. For me it boils down to the fact that it’s just too hard. Anybody have a course that they felt this way after attending an event as a spectator? Maybe it’s for a reason other than difficulty.

Ian Andrew

Re: A course you are satisfied to see only as a spectator
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
It's more playable than it looks outside of a couple of tough shots.
It's worth playing and more fun than you might think.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
TPC
played it years ago
spectated last year
No desire to play it again but it is a well run event and good course to watch

Le Golf National
Went to Ryder Cup-great spectator event(wondeful spectator visibility) at an otherwise normally difficult event to spectate with so few groups
no desire to play it
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
Augusta National (not that my desires will matter, one way or the other).

This way, I can picture my tee shot on 12 fading gently into the center of the green, rather than hitting a gust of wind and plunking into Rae's Creek.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »
Ocean course at Kiawah
Played it about 10-12 years ago and have no desire to play it again

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »

The three courses I have spectated and not played are ANGC, Merion and Pine Valley. I know I won't play them, so I guess that makes me satisfied. Sigh ??? .    The course I would avoid would have elevated greens and bunkering in front that must be cleared.

Guess Bethpage Black would fit, but I'm not flying 3,000 miles to spectate there.

James Brown

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »
Augusta National.  Amazing place but didn’t even really feel like an actual golf course.  More like a theme park, so big was the scale.  Would still give almost anything to play it just for the experience.  But I don’t NEED to, if that makes sense. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
No such place comes to mind.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mark chalfant

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »

Perhaps Stanwich in Greenwich , CT

I played it once and have seen 2 MGA events there. Several strong and interesting holes in a lovely setting. I did not find the one shotters to be too memorable. The putting surfaces do not stick  in my memory.

However, I truly enjoyed watching excellent players (0-3 hcp) attempt to conquer the course but I would much prefer Round Hill or Century in that general area.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
It's more playable than it looks outside of a couple of tough shots.
It's worth playing and more fun than you might think.

+1.  The beauty of the design is that if you play the correct tees for your game, the course is extremely playable. Difficult carries over hazards become tee shots requiring you to stay away from one side or another. Plus, it’s great to have to play a right to left looking hole, followed by a left to righter. Finally the tee shot on 17 is an absolute blast.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
Outside of places you can't play cause you weren't invited, (great examples previously cited)

...I can't think of any course I'd want to spectate, but then deliberately choose not to play.

Bob Montle

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Oakmont
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Andy Shulman

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »
Chambers Bay.  Isn't that the course that triggered vertigo in Jason Day?  Hit it to Point A, watch it roll WAY over there into a bunker at Point B.  Just watching it on TV was enough!

John Foley

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Great question.

I've walked Pebble, PV & Merion at events and while I'd love to play all don't have the screaming desire to play them.

However, I've also walked Shinnecock, NGLA & Chicago golf and would jump on the plane in a sec if the chance arises.

Not sure I can articulate why the feeling is so different with these two categories.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Royal Birkdale is a good spectators course. James is still looking for his missing umbrella AWOL 2008 Open  ;D ;D

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »
The Bear Trap at PGA National.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
To be honest, i'm not really interested in being a spectator anymore. I'd much rather play than watch.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
I don't go to a lot of tournaments, but obviously there are a lot of courses that I have walked and reviewed, but did not make time to play.  And some have hosted big tournaments!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
I wonder: if a very good course plays differently depending on which side of the fairway you're hitting from, can a very good course look different depending on which side of the fairway you're watching from?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »
I wonder: if a very good course plays differently depending on which side of the fairway you're hitting from, can a very good course look different depending on which side of the fairway you're watching from?

Yes- and interestingly, some courses are roped off so that you can't get to the other side to compare, or behind the green.  Augusta National is just one example, patrons can't get too close to the 11th green, and nowhere near the 12th green or 13th tee.

Tal Oz

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
Torrey Pines South looks like a place where I'd have no fun playing unless I'm in the short grass and hitting towering irons all day, neither of which tend to happen. Torrey North was pleasurable and I'd definitely go back to see it post renovation. Watching the pros devour the South is fun if a bit monotonous.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »
Not a fan of watching golf at the course. I'd rather be playing.

Of the courses on tv there are very few I have a real hankering to play, and many that I have no interest in. just thinking off the top of my head these include:

• Bay Hill
  • Torrey Pines
  • PGA National (Bear Trap)
  • The course the Hartford tournament is played on
None of them look like a fun day out. Certainly would not turn down an invite to any of them if offered though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back