News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Linville
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
My wife and I are planning our annual September golf trip.  We are going to Asheville mostly for non-golf reasons, but will play Grove Park.  One possible itinerary would be a trip to play Linville.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Ira

Tom_Doak

Re: Linville
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
Make sure they'll be open.  I stopped in there twenty years ago on a beautiful fall day to take pictures with the trees in full fall color.  The pro shop was shuttered, and there were aerification cores on the greens.  I can't remember if it was the first of October yet or not.  The "season" ends very early up in Linville.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »
And it starts late. When I called today about arrangements, the message said that course does not open until mid-May.

Ira

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
Linville usually closes around Oct 10th to the 15th. Closing cooresponds with the closing of Eseeola Lodge for the season.  I have been there in the first week of Oct twice. Both times were perfect. Chilly in the morning, but grand fall golf. If you are going in Sept, you will be fine.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »
Thanks. We are going in September. We are choosing between a couple of rounds there or going to Mid Pines/Pine Needles which we love. But we are wondering if Linville is good enough to switch our normal routine one time.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Linville New
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »
The golf is not exceptional. I was a bit disappointed, but the experience was worth it. Eseola Lodge is pretty special and the course is set in interesting hilly terrain. The last hole going toward the clubhouse is just terrific. If you have been to Pinehurst, go to the mts. The NC mts are special.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:43:14 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »
Thanks. We are going in September. We are choosing between a couple of rounds there or going to Mid Pines/Pine Needles which we love. But we are wondering if Linville is good enough to switch our normal routine one time.

Ira

Ira, of course the golf alone will not be the equal of Mid Pines/Pine Needles. That said, a stay at the lodge combined with beautiful fall golf, can be a real treat. The course in the fall is breathtaking and the food and service at Eseeola is over the top.  One of my favorite places to relax during the “shoulder season”.

Doug Lionberger

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »

Ira

Ira, of course the golf alone will not be the equal of Mid Pines/Pine Needles. That said, a stay at the lodge combined with beautiful fall golf, can be a real treat. The course in the fall is breathtaking and the food and service at Eseeola is over the top.  One of my favorite places to relax during the “shoulder season”.

I agree - it could be a nice change of pace from Mid Pines.  Eseeola is fantastic and the golf is no slouch.  My wife really enjoyed the place when we went.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
+ the lodge serves Allagash White!  Nicely paired with the Friday night seafood buffett. Killer.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 10:31:00 PM »
Mike

Seafood buffet is on Thursday nights. 

Not to be missed by showing up on the wrong day.  ;)

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back